Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My Rifle shoots .22 cal CP's at 740fps they weight 14.3 grains and have about 17.5 FPE at the muzzle

This is important to compare for some things, but is it for hunting? As far as my experience goes, I've never shot anything at the muzzle. However those are the most entertaining numbers that people toss around.

My rifle shoots JSB Exacts at 670fps they weight 15.9 grains and have a .032BC They have about 16fpe at the muzzle. Compared to the Crosman Premiers these are not as good or as powerful....... But could they be?

Consider that we usually shoot game between 25-50 yards, at least I do. So then how do these two different pellets compare at actual real hunting distances.

Crosman Premier at 25 yards is 627FPS and 12.5fpe
JSB exacts at 25 yards are 607 fps and 13.04fpe......... weight and Ballistic coefficient mean something here!

Now at 40 yards Crosman Premier is 568fps and 10.2FPE
The JSB exacts are 573fps and 11.6fpe ( this is the legal maximum in the UK for airguns)

finally at 50 yards the CP's are 532fps and 9FPE
with the JSB exacts coming in at 551fps and 10.75fps

So the hype of Velocity at the muzzle does not always translate to power down range for hunting. The heavy JSB pellets blow away the faster CP's down range at actual hunting range. The CP's are a hair better to 20 yards and then fade quickly as the range gets further and further.

If this seems like splitting hairs, I can tell you that I have re-setable metal targets that require the 2" steel paddle to be shot to flip up the target again. At 50 plus yards the CP's will ding the metal paddle audibly every time. However they will not always reset it. So far I have not had the JSB's fail to fully reset the target even one time.

That 2 FPE is enough to make the difference. I have also shot a number of cottontails with chest shots at 40-60 yards. I cannot recall ever seeing the CP pellets exit. Often times there is no blood or the ability to even see the entry hole without close examination.

With the JSB's the entry is no easier to find, but there has been a number of exit holes which are bloody and typically easy to find. It's interesting to compare the actual results with the brain washing hype of high velocity. Many of the Air Rifles I see marketed claim ultra high velocity, but use alloy pellets or even those wth a plastic skirt which weigh about half the weight of a total lead pellet.

They lose velocity so fast that they are really unusable at anything beyond 20 yards. They also do not stabilize and shoot accurately in any rifle I have used. I write this for the folks new to air rifles to understand that it's not all about the muzzle velocity. It's about what you can deliver to the target at the range you will likely shoot things.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like you have a good grasp of the mechanics, for sure.

Never bought an alloy pellet, and never will as far as I know... smile

I have seen the same results transfer to the larger calibers too. That's one reason when you need more range and fpe, you have to increase the caliber with airguns.

Of course with the increase of caliber, comes the increase in propellant used too. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I do know is that the CP's are available everywhere, cheap and do the job on rock chuck sized critters to around 60 yards in a rifle that is about 100 fps slower than yours. Good enough for me.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those .22 cal. Crosman Premiers (avg. 14.3 gr.) run 816 fps over the chrono out of my Benjamin Trail with the Nitro Piston II gas ram. I'm pretty new to these things, (it's my first ever air gun) and have yet to squirrel hunt with it like I want to. I, also, was wondering how those things would perform downrange so I fired a couple into a piece of pressure treated 4x4 landscape timber at a range of 25-30 yds. They were both buried into the wood requiring some surgery with a knife point to remove. So while I don't know fps and energy at that range I figure there's enough energy to bag small game. Now I'm waiting for a "volunteer" squirrel to come out on a limb and participate in my ongoing ballistic experimentation. When I was chronographing stuff I also tried the Crosman Powershots, 16.7 gr./ 736 fps, and the Crosman Piranhas, 14.3 gr./832 fps but decided to stick with the Crosman premiers. One of these days I'll become more enlightened on actual power.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by centershot
What I do know is that the CP's are available everywhere, cheap and do the job on rock chuck sized critters to around 60 yards in a rifle that is about 100 fps slower than yours. Good enough for me.

Damn, a 14.3 gr pellet going 640fps killing rock chucks at 60 yards... I am surprised- no, absolutely amazed. According to ChairGun, that's got the trajectory of a mortar round and the energy of a Daisy BB gun at the muzzle. Is accuracy OK at that distance?

Last edited by jdollar; 10/31/16.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M.O.Rock Chuck.....[Linked Image]

Shot a chuck one day at about 40 yards, thought I'd missed when I saw a big mud splat beyond him, then saw him flop around. Pellet penetrated his head and still hit with enough energy to make a crater in the mud. Pretty amazing how little speed/energy is really necessary for clean kills. At 60 yards I hold about 4" high and connect with regularity. I do prefer 25-40 yard shots but longer shots on a nice day are very doable. A chuck head is about the size of the bottom of a pop can, if you can keep them in that - look out rock rats.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (160user, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.