Dang it!!! Foiled again.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by djones
dale,
not to start an argument, but i think you must be mistaken. by chance do you have any pics?

all these hogs were shot with a 223; some in the ear, some in the neck. none died... at least within view. you're not talking about hogs that ran off and died are you?

[Linked Image]

rost,
just because you haven't met any pigs that couldn't be killed with a 223 doesn't mean they're not out there. check out this vid where my buddy shot one right between the eyes with the most powfer bullet you can get for a 223 (whatever that is). texas hogs are very tough and extremely clever. this pig took a knee so we would concentrate on the others. while our heads were turned he charged right at us. i had to knock my buddy out of the way or he would have been killed.

my hogs didn't go down because i was shooting a 6.8. yeah i know... anything .270 is ghey but at my age sometimes you just have to go with it.

A pig can kill someone?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
lol. ok that was good...

here's a vid that turned ugly at the very end. anyone but me and it would have been tragic.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
LOL, my cousin heard em across the road a few years ago and went to bust a few. He shot one in a pond and another before it got in the tall Johnson grass but as the rest of em scattered, he noticed the grass started parting and it was coming towards him. He dumped a 20 round mag and never saw the pig but it did change course.

I'm gonna convert all my other AR's to bigger calibers after seeing that video. Which sharpie do you recommend?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
djones, the 5.56 with 75 grain scirroco will kill a pig. The BO is fine as a suppressor round, anyone post a 10 shot group with a 300 BO with supersonic bullets at 100 yards out of one of those 1-7 twisted barrels yet?

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
LOL, my cousin heard em across the road a few years ago and went to bust a few. He shot one in a pond and another before it got in the tall Johnson grass but as the rest of em scattered, he noticed the grass started parting and it was coming towards him. He dumped a 20 round mag and never saw the pig but it did change course.

I'm gonna convert all my other AR's to bigger calibers after seeing that video. Which sharpie do you recommend?

Forgive me. I'm digressing. Quite a few years ago a paraplegic buddy of mine calls on an icy day here... busted a big sow, can I come get it and clean it as his dad is not home... sure...

Get tehre he has busted this sow about 250ish pounds. I had taken a deer rifle with me... and as we walked up the grass starts parting, going all directions... I shot at the wakes of grass, as my nephew fed me more 300 wtby rounds as I needed.... I think we shot 9 of the shoats that morning.

but a 223 would have killed them all.

Back on track, the most I've shot and killed at once with a 223 is 3 with lined up heads. For some reason I can't get more than 2 lined up and dead with body shots. But I've lost count of how many I have taken with a 223 AR and a 6/6.8 AR over the years. I actually can't recall shooting pigs with much else, a shotgun and a 45 now and then, LOTS more with a 22lr though than anything else. Maybe 10 last fall with 300/221.

Pigs don't botehr me much, I've had to kick 2 of them in the snout to let them know they were running away the wrong way.
I have had one charge me once that got my attention after he had an arrow put in him, but he wasn't much for this world after the arrow had hit and it was mostly a bluff so he could go and die.

I suspect they might be different in different areas, but i've not found aggressive or hard to kill pigs from the Rio Grande up to the middle part of the hill country and all in between so far.

Now a group I saw in New Mexico once..... and had no clue they have moved into that area at that time.... that group was some big mean looking pigs.... we wouldn't shoot since we were on top of and after a fairly big muley buck at the time....they kind of looked a hair wooly and grumpy.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
lol. ok that was good...

here's a vid that turned ugly at the very end. anyone but me and it would have been tragic.

I needed a good laugh before bed! You have a numbers problem there! Might need to get to a 308 too, that 223 wasn't working all that well.....

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I heard all my life how pigs had an armor plate draped over them and nothing short of a nuclear weapon would penetrate it.

Then one day while calling coyotes a bunch of them walked into my cousins view and he popped a big boar with a 223 AR and a 50 grain NBT right behind the front leg. It ran about 75 yards into the brush and ran out of oxygen. I stepped on another one buried up in a thicket and it/I ran the other way. Found the big old boar dead and he weighed about 300 lbs. Told me right then the 223 worked when put in the right spot.

I don't shoot em in the head nor do I expect them to drop dead at the shot. Lung em and they die pretty quick. Oddly enough the only one I can think of us losing was one I shot with a 44 magnum. Maybe just blind luck but I like my chances with the 223.

Right now I'm trying to see what a 147 grain Federal HST in 9mm will do to one but they aren't cooperating, done went nocturnal.

It don't matter how you kill pigs, just kill em!

And to get back on track, the 300 Blackout will do just fine too of course, just don't tell me the 223 ain't enough.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'm just fine with the 223 for that too, I don't want to give anyone the impression I think the 223 doesn't kill.

My interest in the 300 is more for short barrel stuff (I don't have much interest in rifle length 7.62x39 either); the 300 excels in short barrels and really does have an advantage over the 5.56 there. My little backpack gun (literally, fits in a backpack) is a 9" barreled AR in 300; that's a great performer in a small package and much more potent and pleasant to shoot than a short 223 or short AK.

I shoot it with 110gr or 125gr supersonic loads most of the time; the subsonic stuff is more of a niche use IMO.

Last edited by Yondering; 10/18/16.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Always have to laugh when people talk about those blood thirsty feral hogs!

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by jimmyp
djones, the 5.56 with 75 grain scirroco will kill a pig.
c'mon jimbo. i know you know better

Originally Posted by TWR
... just don't tell me the 223 ain't enough.
sorry twr but friends don't let friends hunt with 223s. somebody's gotta say it.

Originally Posted by rost495
[You] Might need to get to a 308 too, that 223 wasn't working all that well.....
rost. try to stay awake to the end of this one. i'm not shooting a 308 anymore. for some reason i haven't figured out yet, i changed to a 6.8. but i would NEVER hunt hogs with a 223.

Originally Posted by FishingHunter
fish, to be clear, when i allude to killer hogs and 223s, i'm not talking about stripers that could just as easily be boot stomped. i'm talking about one's like in this vid... over 400lbs. substantial livestock have already succcumed to this meat eater. hunters have been killed when their vehicles were turned over from direct charges. another professional hog killer and myself are the only ones i know who have even set foot on ground in the same square mile of this man killer. we both had 6.8s and he soaked up 5 of them right in the ear and brain. when i examined him he had numerous 223 bullets stuck in his armor shield and one buck knife. you have been led to water...

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When I grow up I wanna be just like or a little like or sorta like, oh heck who am I kidding, I could never face down a charge like that...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Who would really believe these types of stories, vehicles overturned by a 400 lb hog. Cattle being eaten. Come on now, give me some of what your smoking! Good friends hunt all over texas with dogs for a living and we fund this hilarious as hell.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's better read in sarcasm font... :-)

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I mean c'mon, everyone knows nothing will stop a Buck knife!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Who would really believe these types of stories
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I heard djines once also slayed a real bigfoot! I know you do put the hurt on some big hogs and piles and piles of them! Could'nt believe those piles of hogs you used to post on the texas hunting forum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will be roadkill in 10 years, not worth the effort.... 6.8 will always have a hunting niche.

This. I can't seem to care about the 30 Blackout. I just don't see where it is useful compared to the 6.8 or the 6x45.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

fish, to be clear, when i allude to killer hogs and 223s, i'm not talking about stripers that could just as easily be boot stomped. i'm talking about one's like in this vid... over 400lbs. substantial livestock have already succcumed to this meat eater. hunters have been killed when their vehicles were turned over from direct charges. another professional hog killer and myself are the only ones i know who have even set foot on ground in the same square mile of this man killer. we both had 6.8s and he soaked up 5 of them right in the ear and brain. when i examined him he had numerous 223 bullets stuck in his armor shield and one buck knife. you have been led to water...

Man, those hogs can really soak up misses! laugh
Have you tried missing them with a 50 Beowulf?

Just kidding. I'm still laughing about your killer hog. Laughing too hard to hit anything myself! grin

Last edited by BarryC; 10/23/16.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
djones, the 5.56 with 75 grain scirroco will kill a pig.
c'mon jimbo. i know you know better

Originally Posted by TWR
... just don't tell me the 223 ain't enough.
sorry twr but friends don't let friends hunt with 223s. somebody's gotta say it.

Originally Posted by rost495
[You] Might need to get to a 308 too, that 223 wasn't working all that well.....
rost. try to stay awake to the end of this one. i'm not shooting a 308 anymore. for some reason i haven't figured out yet, i changed to a 6.8. but i would NEVER hunt hogs with a 223.

LOL, thats so funny.

I don't ever tell folks I've killed a few over 300, none over 400 though, with my 22 pistol.
And I sure don't tell folks about killing big SOBs with arrows....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 42 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,352
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.