Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I couldn't resist. Picked up a Ruger 270 today. I dickered with my friend at the LGS and I couldn't believe how he backed off the asking. So I brought it home and have cleaned it up. It's the first Zytel & stainless I've owned even though I've wanted one for a long time. Looking forward to some range time, hopefully Monday.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's an outstanding rough duty hunting rifle, IMHO no factory has made a better rough duty rifle. I would be highly surprised if after a minimal amount of load work you didn't find a combination or two that put's 3 shots in an inch at 100 yds.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Looking forward to trying it with Federal Fusions until I decide about adding it to my stable permanently.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I saw one today at a LGS in 280 for 599 with an older Leupold 3-9×50. Never owned one, should I go snag it up Monday if it's still there?

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
UNCC, from what I've seen that's not a bad price, especially with the Leupold. If you're seriously interested you might want to grab it if you like the condition.

Last edited by OldRooster; 10/21/16.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Looking forward to trying it with Federal Fusions until I decide about adding it to my stable permanently.

I respond to these posts whenever I see these rifles mentioned. I bought a 270 out of the classified here, years ago before they became sought after. I paid $300 plus shipping back then. I gave the rifle to my sister so she'd stop borrowing my other boat paddles. I scrounged up an ancient Leupold 6x36 for it. First group out of it landed 3 of the Federal 130gr (blue box) in about 3/4"- definitely sub-MOA. Needless to say, she is pretty happy with it. Hoping to get a nice buck in front of her this fall so she can put it to use.

Kaiser Norton.

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I saw one today at a LGS in 280 for 599 with an older Leupold 3-9×50. Never owned one, should I go snag it up Monday if it's still there?

I have one of these, with the scope (assuming it's still sound and the rifle is clean/unaltered) it is worth the asking price. Mine is quite accurate, trigger is pretty decent. One of my favorite rifles.

Kaiser Norton

Last edited by Kaiser Norton; 10/21/16.

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W

Hey Brad,

I have an UL in .30-06 that I really like. If you are a .280 fan, it should make you a nice rifle. I use mine mostly as a fowl weather gun. Any chance of rain and that is what goes hunting.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
It's an outstanding rough duty hunting rifle, IMHO no factory has made a better rough duty rifle. I would be highly surprised if after a minimal amount of load work you didn't find a combination or two that put's 3 shots in an inch at 100 yds.

My experience as well. I've only got 4 right now but I've had several over the years. I mostly take off the tire tread on the stock and put on a recoil pad which add's about 1/2" OAL, I'm a big guy and it's not a big deal. I like the Limbsaver # 10011 (sometimes you have to call or email Limbsaver for a piece they occasionally leave out) but they are nice. I sold my last one in 338 WM some time back because I still have 2, a Winchester mod 70 and a Ruger Hawkeye that I leave in the box, as I'd prefer the MK II with the Zytel stock. They are a tough rifle.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

You don't find those in 280 very often but right now the market is soft on most rifles, I'd offer less. Do you like a rifle with a 50mm Objective? Not my favorite, but you can probably sell it and get what you want, so you won't get hurt there. I'll bet they will dicker.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tough rifles for sure, but in my experince they recoil hard compared to other guns in the same caliber. Limbsaver recoil pad is definitely a good idea.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great rifles. I have three, one that came straight from the factory (.300WM), one I built from Ruger parts (.338WM) and one I swapped the laminate stock for the Zytel stock (.30-06).

All are very accurate and two (.300WM and .338WM) are going elk hunting this year.

$599 for one with a Leupold scope is well worth the money.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/21/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a .280 all weather and it's a pure joy to shoot. The .280's seem to bring a small premium in the all weathers so I would snap it up if you could.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago when me and the family went on vacation
some scalawags broke in my house and stole ALL my
firearms.
Among them was a Ruger MkII Boat Paddle Stainless in
270 WIN. that I bought at a pawn shop for $300 even
best Hunting Rifle I EVER HAD!
And the one I miss the most!
Pics please of yours!
Congrats

Molan Labe
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
There's a high condition 7 Mag at a LGS. Gave it some consideration, but have no use for it....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Poconojack
There's a high condition 7 Mag at a LGS. Gave it some consideration, but have no use for it....

I bought one of these a few years back because I just wanted a boat paddle and a 7mag was the first I found at a good price. It's one of the early ones with the green panels on the stock. It rarely comes out of the safe because I just don't need that much power for our small southern whitetails, but it is one of my most accurate rifles.

The trigger on mine was the heaviest I've ever owned or shot, but my gunsmith got it down to about 3.5lbs. I put it up for sale locally before I shot it, simply because I realized I was rarely going to shoot a 7Mag. After shooting it and seeing it's accuracy, it's not leaving.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You could buy the gun and sell off the scope, and have a very good rifle.

They are tough enough to handle whatever you want to throw at them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So all of these take off BoatPaddle stocks for Rugers that I have in the closet are worth something???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
So all of these take off BoatPaddle stocks for Rugers that I have in the closet are worth something???

Yes.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cotis
Tough rifles for sure, but in my experince they recoil hard compared to other guns in the same caliber. Limbsaver recoil pad is definitely a good idea.

I agree on all accounts..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.