Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thinking of ordering a Boyd's stock for the Marlin XS7 I just bought. Hearing mixed reviews recently on the web. Most stating that quality has slipped and their delivery times and customer service sucks. Anybody order recently that can give me a true assessment would be appreciated.

Buy once, cry once.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I put one on an XL7 .270 for the grand daughter two years ago. Fit and finish were good. Two comments.

First, you already know that the laminate stocks are heavier due to the glue, etc. Good thing if you want to reduce recoil for a young shooter like I did. Bad thing if you are thinking light weight Mountain rifle.

Second comment, if you plan to hunt wet weather, make sure you can get a stock pattern with checkering. When I bought the compact model for the grand daughter, Boyd's did not offer checkering on the compact stocks. The smooth laminate with polyurethane is slick. Not terrible to hold onto dry. But, would not want to have to one hand it all day wet.

For less than $500 all up, the X7 plus Boyd's makes for a very accurate, shoot-able combination...

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I put one on an XL7 .270 for the grand daughter two years ago. Fit and finish were good. Two comments.

First, you already know that the laminate stocks are heavier due to the glue, etc. Good thing if you want to reduce recoil for a young shooter like I did. Bad thing if you are thinking light weight Mountain rifle.

Second comment, if you plan to hunt wet weather, make sure you can get a stock pattern with checkering. When I bought the compact model for the grand daughter, Boyd's did not offer checkering on the compact stocks. The smooth laminate with polyurethane is slick. Not terrible to hold onto dry. But, would not want to have to one hand it all day wet.

For less than $500 all up, the X7 plus Boyd's makes for a very accurate, shoot-able combination...
Thank you sir. Great point about the checkering. I had planned to have it done.
Was your delivery time as promised?

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quality has slipped? From my experiences with them that does not leave much room for slippage.

Some of the worst inletting I have ever seen has been on Boyds. Although in fairness, it has been a long time since I have messed with one. But, there is a reason for that. They may be better nowadays, I wouldn't know.....

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Quality has slipped? From my experiences with them that does not leave much room for slippage.

Some of the worst inletting I have ever seen has been on Boyds. Although in fairness, it has been a long time since I have messed with one. But, there is a reason for that. They may be better nowadays, I wouldn't know.....
The complaints I have seen refer to parts that were once metal are now plastic. Such as spacers or washers on certain stocks. Also, that those parts were once held in place on the stocks with inletting or grooves now just fall out when the action is removed from the stock. They go on to say that inletting for the action itself was near perfect.

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last winter I got a shotgun stock and forend from them.
The inletting sucked. You can see that the router bit was wore out. It had a 1/16" gap on one side of the tang. It's a mess and the grain in both are very plain.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
... Thank you sir. Great point about the checkering. I had planned to have it done.
Was your delivery time as promised?
Bought the XL7 stock two years ago. Bought a LH Mauser stock earlier this year. Delivery time must have been reasonable for both of them because I do not have any negative recollection regarding timing...

As far a quality of inlet, I think I might have had to open up the bolt cut a little on the XL7 stock. But then, I had to do the same thing for my last McM Edge fill stock that was 3x the cost of the Boyd's stock...

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Recently got a R700 SA ADL laminate and it was spot on. My only experience with them though.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just received a stock for my Tikka T3x and it fit perfectly. No issues and very happy with it.

Rob
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
90% of the Boyd's stocks that I get are for military Mausers - I expect a little slop and fitting required due to the differences.
I have not ordered one since they started offering checkering. My next one (ironically for an X7) will have checkering.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mine have been for Savage long and short action and sporterized Mausers.
Spend a couple more bucks and get it checkered!
I'll buy more.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had trouble with Boyd's Browning A5 stock 10 or 15 years ago.

Some smith posting at AR said that he uses the Boyd's laminated blanks and is very happy with the price and quality.

I have built a Mauser, a Rem 700, and a Sav 110 with the Boyds Pro Varmint stocks.

Following his lead 15 years later, I am happy with the laminated and painted blanks for custom guns.

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I just installed a Boyd's stock on an old Rem M12 rifle.. It needed a bit of minor modification to it in order to fit, but the overall quality of the stock was excellent - considering the price..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Boyd's customer service was non existent in my opinion. For their type stocks I deal with: https://www.stockysstocks.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have trying for 2 weeks to get an RMA out of Boyds. They state you MUST call to get an RMA. When you call you end up in a automated message loop that takes you to a voicemail box. Invariably, they call back from a Spokane WA number and when I am indisposed. Why can't you request an RMA via email? Stupid policy.

Why the return? I ordered a Marlin 336 buttstock from them and the tang attachment is at least .375" in diameter AND drilled off- center.

All that being said, in the past I have had good luck with their stocks. Maybe things are slipping a bit?

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought three Boyds Tacticool stocks.I bedded the recoil lugs and the rifles performed accurately afterwards.They are very good stocks for the price but bedding may be required.It didn't bother me because I planned on doing it anyway.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I probably have 2 dozen Boyds laminated stocks and have only had trouble with 1, a Classic style for a Marlin XS7 that arrived with an off-center barrel channel. Boyds replaced it, but I had to pay shipping both ways and didn't think that was quite right when the problem was 100% on their end.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I ordered a Pro Varmint in Nutmeg on the 13th of October and it will be delivered tomorrow. Can't speak to the quality yet.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have 4 two for the Marlin XS7 , one for a Ruger Hawkeye, and one for the Ruger American rim fire. All were inletted decent and delivery was decent. They were all custom orders and took about 3-4 weeks. In general I have had decent luck and only had No major complaints. Lucky I guess. Goodshot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a thumbhole butt stock and a forearm for my encore to use with my 204 barrel. Fit was good ,no issue. I am doubtfull I would buy one for any of my rifles due to weight and i am not big on laminant stocks. I put them in the "get what you pay for " .

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,014
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.