24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to you and the kids. Nice elk and great shooting. Goes to prove that you don't need a cannon to kill elk, just precision shooting. Curious what part of NM were you hunting? Lived in NM for some time a while back. The relic hunting can be awesome.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
BP-B2

C
Cinch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by Cinch
Originally Posted by Sako76
Congrats all around, kids making 450 yard shots is awesome, you did it right! I'm glad that 260 didn't bounce off!

Yes sir... we shoot quite a bit and even got extra field scenario practice in for this trip. Conditions were absolutely perfect and the plan came together just like we'd hoped. Having good equipment is another huge part of the equation.

Besides the 260, I'm also impressed by the 16" 308 launching 155 Scenar, making clean 450 yard kill. Good stuff.

Absolutely... my son shot the 308 and hit his bull in the front side of the chest. He was dead on his feet but a round through the neck sealed the deal. I've never not been impressed with that bullet in any headstamp.

Public landowner...
C
Cinch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Congrats to you and the kids. Nice elk and great shooting. Goes to prove that you don't need a cannon to kill elk, just precision shooting. Curious what part of NM were you hunting? Lived in NM for some time a while back. The relic hunting can be awesome.

I really think the 260 is the perfect all around rifle. It's dang sure never left me needing or wanting more. Good shots kill, bad shots sure don't always. No matter what's stamped on the end of your brass.

We were hunting outside of Thoreau. Beautiful country...

Public landowner...
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow man that is absolutely awesome; good on you for making your kids a priority!

They'll be eating well for quite a long time!

SO COOL!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thoreau, NM that is beautiful country. I lived in Portales, Roswell, and Albuquerque, but roamed all over the state for various reasons. NM exudes a feeling of age, a feeling of you being a new comer where ever you go.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent job Cinch......
Glad y'all were able to connect. If you need anything on the way back up feel free to hit me up...I should be around this weekend if you guys are coming back up through here.
Glad to see the kids hammered some nice Bulls.....

C
Cinch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Excellent job Cinch......
Glad y'all were able to connect. If you need anything on the way back up feel free to hit me up...I should be around this weekend if you guys are coming back up through here.
Glad to see the kids hammered some nice Bulls.....

Thanks bother I appreciate it... we will be headed north tomorrow as the kids need to get back for other projects. But I'll be back next year late spring early summer and I'll make sure we meet up...

Public landowner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds good, hope to se you then.
Safe travels Jamie.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jamie,
Congrats all around!
What bottom metal on your 260? APA DBM?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
C
Cinch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Jamie,
Congrats all around!
What bottom metal on your 260? APA DBM?

Thanks man... That 260 has a PTG BDL style floorplate in it. Both of my GAP 260 hunting rifles have it and I've never had a problem one with them nor any feeding issues.

Public landowner...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10-4. I've got an EH-6 inlet for a Templar V1 SA and Badger M4 alloy bottom metal. Trying to decide what to do with it!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thoreau, NM that is beautiful country. I lived in Portales, Roswell, and Albuquerque, but roamed all over the state for various reasons. NM exudes a feeling of age, a feeling of you being a new comer where ever you go.

It does indeed.

Great hunt, Cinch! That's just awesome, with the kids and all. Outstanding.

I bet your trucks turned a few heads on the way home! All horned up.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Cinch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
10-4. I've got an EH-6 inlet for a Templar V1 SA and Badger M4 alloy bottom metal. Trying to decide what to do with it!

I think you'll really like that stock. I'm going to replace the stock on my other 260 with one. It's definitely a new favorite...

Public landowner...
C
Cinch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

It does indeed.

Great hunt, Cinch! That's just awesome, with the kids and all. Outstanding.

I bet your trucks turned a few heads on the way home! All horned up.

Thanks Jeff... I actually bought a cargo trailer for the trip. No way to get all my hunting gear plus coolers full of meat plus elk racks in a short bed truck. It worked out great.

Public landowner...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow, congrats Cinch! What a great hunt!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Very cool feeling hauling a cargo trailer full of goods time home. Thanks for sharing. Nice bulls great family!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread and a cup of coffee was a great way to start the morning. One day before I'm too old to elk hunt, I'll quit dreaming about it and just do it. Congrats to all of you. Those kids did well to connect at those ranges. I haven't spent any time in that part of the state, but when I passed through on a motorcycle trip it looked pretty "elky." My best memories of spending time with my kids all involve outdoor activities. You kids will carry that experience with them forever.

C
Cinch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks gents... it was definitely the most fun we've ever had! And the smiles on their faces were bigger then I've ever seen. The legal hunting age in WY is 12, so this bull elk is my sons very first big game kill. He will be the only kid in his school that's killed an elk!

Every single part of our trip was perfect. We will be back for sure to do it again. Hopefully sooner then later...

Public landowner...
L
L
I'm glad it was a perfect trip. Happy for you and the kids.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This should be the elk hut of the year. Really nice that the young folk were able to get an elk, great shooting on their part. Someone must have helped them learn to shoot...grin.

Very well done.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.