Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
all this globalization talk from the hillary & the donald has got me to thinking.

they talk about jobs being shipped off-shore. they talk about Ford, & other multi-national corporates moving to mexico, or just ignoring mexico and going directly to chiner, the phillippines, indonesia, taiwan, vietnam, etc. etc.

so, at this point, what control does a "sovereign" nation have over the control of it's future, it's fate?

what control can a "national sovereignty" exert when capital, free as a bird (or flock of birds), can flee to a much safer place, if push comes to shove, or if they see danger in sight?

so, in an age of automation, what role does the worker play in the final analysis? maybe sell his labor (skills & expertise) to the highest bidder?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have as much control as we want. It's apparent that the US doesn't want control. But there are a lot of ways to prevent a corporation from moving overseas...we just choose to ignore them.

And that's because those big corporations own the US political process, so they can make sure that laws preventing their exit never hit the books.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
all this globalization talk from the hillary & the donald has got me to thinking.

they talk about jobs being shipped off-shore. they talk about Ford, & other multi-national corporates moving to mexico, or just ignoring mexico and going directly to chiner, the phillippines, indonesia, taiwan, vietnam, etc. etc.

so, at this point, what control does a "sovereign" nation have over the control of it's future, it's fate?

what control can a "national sovereignty" exert when capital, free as a bird (or flock of birds), can flee to a much safer place, if push comes to shove, or if they see danger in sight?

so, in an age of automation, what role does the worker play in the final analysis? maybe sell his labor (skills & expertise) to the highest bidder?

Control is only an illusion, in the illusion that is life. An illusion within an illusion, does that make it real?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
i don't disagree with a word said.

but corporates, whether flagged in england, liberia, germany, spain, russia, china, the us, etc. aren't about national sovereign success. they're about profits (or a profit), for their stockholders.

the tulip craze back in the day was all about profits. maybe the first economic bust too?

"if" i'm a toyota stockholder, and i can get good payback from toyota agreeing to build mfg. plants in the US, why shouldn't i support their decision to build US based mfg'ing plants?

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Gus

Control is only an illusion, in the illusion that is life. An illusion within an illusion, does that make it real?

lol. once upon a time i dreamed that i was man dreaming about a man being dreamed by a lotus flower, who wasn't sure if it was on land or on the water. or maybe something like that?

and yes, real is real, and an illusion is an illusion. but which is which, pray tell?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Gus

lol. once upon a time i dreamed that i was man dreaming about a man being dreamed by a lotus flower, who wasn't sure if it was on land or on the water. or maybe something like that?

and yes, real is real, and an illusion is an illusion. but which is which, pray tell?

Simple - either, both, and neither.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Major oil has been global for many decades and they carry more than a bit of influence wherever they play. Our CEO's met with many world leaders far more than the POTUS has.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Gus,

Control is an illusion, there is only influence. You cannot prevent the flow of capital to it's most efficient use, only slow it's movement. If you want jobs to flow here, we need to compete on the basis of price by lowering taxes and regulations so people move their capital here willingly.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Major oil has been global for many decades and they carry more than a bit of influence wherever they play. Our CEO's met with many world leaders far more than the POTUS has.

To bad you don't read books Ed.....everyone needs to read Friends In High Places by Laton McCartney....it pretty much says exactly what you just said and explains exactly who's bought and paid for who over the years (especially pertaining to the oil industry)....highly recommend...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by EdM

To bad you don't read books Ed.....everyone needs to read Friends In High Places by Laton McCartney....it pretty much says exactly what you just said and explains exactly who's bought and paid for who over the years (especially pertaining to the oil industry)....highly recommend...

You are right regarding my non-reading and my wife, a book a week reader, has tried like heck to get me to do so. You have piqued my interest in that book. My aforementioned post was what I observed whilst hearing or presenting to my senior executives.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by EdM

To bad you don't read books Ed.....everyone needs to read Friends In High Places by Laton McCartney....it pretty much says exactly what you just said and explains exactly who bought and paid for who over the years (especially pertaining to the oil industry)....highly recommend...

You are right regarding my non-reading and my wife, a book a week reader, has tried like heck to get me to do so. You have piqued my interest in that book. My aforementioned post was what I observed whilst hearing or presenting to my senior executives.

Well...now that you're retired and those horrible college years are behind you it might be time to start...I know I wasn't much of a reader until I retired....now I'm a border line fanatic....

Give that one a try....I'm sure that you if anyone will appreciate it....

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek
We have as much control as we want. It's apparent that the US doesn't want control. But there are a lot of ways to prevent a corporation from moving overseas...we just choose to ignore them.

And that's because those big corporations own the US political process, so they can make sure that laws preventing their exit never hit the books.

There was never a favorable decision or favor to big business that was not auctioned off by the Govt first.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

There was never a favorable decision or favor to big business that was not auctioned off by the Govt first.

Yep...and it's been that way before the ink on the constitution was dry.....
The difference now is that big business has moved out so it's foreign governments that are buying our politicians...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,856
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.