Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2-3 Guys for reapeatedly missing time.

One guy for repeatedly being drunk to where I thought he would hurt himself or someone else.

They all knew my hands were tied and that they made their own beds. No troubles ensued.

If you can't get "be there and be sober" right, nothing I can do to help you......

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have fired several poor performers. We had a system of progressive discipline so the employee knew it was coming. I viewed it as "financial capital punishment". While it wasn't fun, it went with the job.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had to fire quite a few people in my 39 career. Retired now.
One thing that I think to help understand the process is that people "fire themselves", via their performance or behavior. The person firing them is just delivering the message.

Yes we want people to be able to support their families, but they have to willing and capable of doing that. Letting the poor ones hang around just screws the better employees.
More than one time I had police or a corporate security person in the next room when I had to deliver the message. But never did run into violence beyond verbal.

Last edited by dale06; 10/21/16.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah.

Never hire your brother-in-law. That's all I'm sayin.

Firing comes with the job.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had zero issues with dumping folks. They were due and for good reason. If they did not have my passion I had little use. My performance was delivered via the success of theirs. I rewarded my best as due. They made me better. If they were not working to win, well, see ya...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I fired one guy.
The contractors that I was inspecting all wanted to kill the guy. I stopped a Mason that had picked him up by the scruff of his neck and belt to throw him off of 6 jacks of scaffold. he was dangling in the air when I stopped the guy from throwing him.
I called my boss and told him the situation and he told me to fire him.
I told him it was too late I already did. I was just letting him know what I did.
That little Middle Eastern SOB went to the city and had them force me to let him back on the job.

So when he returned I told him he had do do what I told him to do and I made him stay in his car for a month while I did all of the inspections.
Before that I was always the one being fired and after that I am still the one getting fired.

Bout done with California.

Last edited by funshooter; 10/21/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too bad you stopped the mason.

In some states, he needed killin is an accepted legal defense.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Easy enough when someone's clearly done the wrong thing, or when despite performance management efforts they just aren't prepared to make an effort. Not all terminations are for those reasons though, and sometimes the circumstances are such that you might have some sympathy.

For example, I was called in to terminate a fellow in his 30s, married with children, who'd suffered a back injury (outside work) which clearly was not his fault. Unfortunately for him he could no longer perform the requirements of his job as a storeman and despite his best efforts it was actually unsafe, on medical grounds, for him to continue. With his education and skills, there was no other role for him, and his prospects weren't good for getting a job anywhere else either. Poor fellow was in tears, and I have to say that I felt for him.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I did not mind firing those who really deserved it but the layoffs were always tough. We were a construction outfit and layoffs were not uncommon from time to time, hated it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Firing 8 Indians on a reservation construction went better than I thought it would. They were happy the weekend started early and REALLY happy when I handed them their final checks after the bad news.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to run one of two crews for a general contractor (an engineer)
I had between 6 and 10 folks working under me at any one time, and it was understood that any time you felt you were working harder than me, we would trade jobs for the day. (No one ever took me up on the offer).
In at least 10 years there, i had to only fire one guy. I caught him breaking the law and our contract, by polluting someone else's property, instead of hauling away the debris as we were under contract to do.
I gave him a choice, clean it back up, and do the job correctly, or I would mail him his final check, misus the cleanup costs.
He chose fist fight on jobsite. (That's a major no-no).
I drug the fool off the property, after a lesson in manners, and mailed what was left of his check.
Since i cleaned up his mess, he paid me to give him an "invitation to the world".
No regrets.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Too bad you stopped the mason.

In some states, he needed killin is an accepted legal defense.

Ya
I am an ex Iron Worker and the Iron Workers on the job were very angry and wanted blood.
This SOB shows up and tells me that the Boss wanted him to be the lead man on the job.
I told him by no means was he going to be the lead inspector on this project.
we got into kind of a scuffle about the position.
He did not know that the big boss was my Apprenticeship instructor in the Ironworkers and that I had talked him into getting into inspection and 10 years latter he hired me.

I have been told twice by an owner of a Lab (I highly respect this owner and have known him for over 20 years) that I am way over qualified to do my job. His flunky fired me two months ago. I was told from a Millwright that I scare people on jobs because of what I know and that is why I am always the one getting fired.
My old boss from the guy I fired moved on to State jobs and wanted me to go with him. I told him I did not want to go back to school for 8 years to get all the certs I needed.
In hind sight I should have made the move.

Looking for a new Currier at the moment.
ether teaching or getting back in the trades.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last week. Actually three months ago, but it took that long to find the right replacement so I could let him in on the secret. Dumb SOB was dishonest, lazy, and incompetent. That's some unholy trifecta.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Over 40 years probably fired 50 folks! Way I figured it....if they couldn't show up for work on time they didn't need a job!!

Pretty damn simple really!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started my trucking career [sic] as a mover (Mayflower). I hired hundreds of day laborers but you're unlikely to fire anyone who's only working one day. Nonetheless, there was an exception.

I don't know exactly where I was, California, East Bay, it was a corporate move loading from one of those '50s bedroom suburbs, maybe San Jose or something. I hired a lumper out of the truck stop because that was always a bunch cheaper than agency help. This truckstop had a sort of ersatz union thing going on inside and labor was high, so I hired a guy that approached me out in the lot.

He started out good, worked hard but it was a long day and the longer it went the crankier and balkier he got. Finally he was getting downright ornery and threatening and I decided I had to get him off the job but it felt like it could get dangerous.

I discretely called the police and said I was going to fire a guy and he was going to attack me and I needed help. Two cops showed up asking who attacked who and I told them "I'm about to fire him and I think he will attack me." They admonished me that I couldn't do that, told me to call if he did attack me and turned to leave. Meanwhile this has really worked up my helper so I quickly told the cops "Watch this." and told the guy "You're fired, don't touch anything, get out of here." and he immediately attacked me right in front of the cops!

Now the move was a disaster and I worked well into the night finishing loading. I was too tired, maybe stupefied, to drive miles and miles to find another truckstop so I went back to the same place to sleep. When I woke up in the morning I climbed down from the cab into a beautiful, sunny California day and went behind the trailer to relieve myself. The fired helper jumped me back there and tried to kill me! (It was very disturbing.)

Fast forward through all that drama... afterwards, other lumpers told me the guy was a junky and I had kept him on the job until he was long overdue for a fix.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Usted está despedido.

Said this several times over the years even though I could have used good old plain English.

I just said it so there would be no misunderstanding. grin

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It's no easier if it's a high school kid or illegal farm worker. Painful for the empathetic.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 77 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.