Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Nosler seconds are the cat's meow.

They are the best thing going right now. I'm glad some snobs like my left handed buddy doesn't buy them... wink. Saves more for us, that do like them.. cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yeah ! I would not equate 'seconds' to

bullets pulled w/piers.

Bullets recovered with inertia pullers are NOT damaged nearly like using 'pliers'.

I've used collet pullers for years and there is little/no damage to the bullet.

Also 'pliers' and sidecutters aren't the same in my book.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nosler seconds are the cat's meow.

No they suck and no one in their right mind shoot think about buying them!

Originally Posted by bea175
I personally won't use seconds, sure as hell wouldn't use bullets pulled with plier

Yeah that's more like it!

Seconds are a danger to the shooter and shot blatant disrespect to the game hunter firsts only should be used.

(Cuz I want more for myself laugh )

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like Billy Idol said: "More, more, more..." grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by deerstalker
free may be ok, otherwise a waste of powder. been there done that.

Even if the bullets are free, you are wasting powder primers and time. Skip this bargain!

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
...Even if the bullets are free, you are wasting powder primers and time. Skip this bargain!

This.

Why bottom feed?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have to ask...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
If you have to ask...

Well?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
If you have to ask...

Well?

Think about it... if you have to ask if something is a good deal or a good idea, then it probably ain't.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is asking if things are a good idea, a good idea?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you have to ask...

Well?

Think about it... if you have to ask if something is a good deal or a good idea, then it probably ain't.

Yeah. Makes sense.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Like Billy Idol said: "More, more, more..." grin

Also Andra True Connection. smirk

I have a friend that purchased a lot of Government Surplus. He got a 55 gal. barrel full of 5.56 bullets that had been ran through a machine to make them unfit for loading. They had dings and gouges and were unround. There was some carbide bullet dies in the mix and he just had to try. He ran some of them through the carbide dies and loaded up a box. I was quite impressed with the accuracy they produced. IIRC, the largest group was around 2" and the smallest right at an inch. I wouldn't want to be caught loading them in MY magazine but, his experiment really opened my eyes.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I ran a test doing just this some years back. IIRC, I loaded 100 rounds of .223 with a known accurate load. I puled 30 of them with an inertia puller, 30 with a collett puller, and 30 with a pair of pliers. They were disfigured in pretty much that order: the intertia-pulled were like new, the collet-pulled had small longitudinal marks/grooves, and the pliers-pulled had larger horizontal grooves. Some were visibly out of round, too.

I re-neck-sized the cases I had pulled, put the same charges back in and re-seated the bullets.

At the range, the 10 unpulled rounds made a lovely little group. The intertia-pulled made an almost identical average group (3 groups of 10). The collet-pulled again made almost identical groups. And the ugly pliers-pulled bullets? Ditto. I saw NO significant difference in group size.

I believe that as long as the bases of the bullets are undamaged, slight damage to the sides of the bullets merely "irons out" in the rifling as the bullet shortens and obturates under gas pressure.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rocky.....well...since YOU say it, I'd come 'nearer' believing it. grin I really wouldn't have thot the disfigured rounds would have nearly the same performance.

I certainly have shot bullets pulled w/collet & inertia pullers.

The few I've pulled and damaged by whatever means I just chunked. It hasn't been that many tho.

Thanks

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's science, thanks Rocky.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is how I have done it forever.....no issues in re-use whatsoever

https://youtu.be/oOGWt4o9iEs

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I ran a test doing just this some years back. IIRC, I loaded 100 rounds of .223 with a known accurate load. I puled 30 of them with an inertia puller, 30 with a collett puller, and 30 with a pair of pliers. They were disfigured in pretty much that order: the intertia-pulled were like new, the collet-pulled had small longitudinal marks/grooves, and the pliers-pulled had larger horizontal grooves. Some were visibly out of round, too.

I re-neck-sized the cases I had pulled, put the same charges back in and re-seated the bullets.

At the range, the 10 unpulled rounds made a lovely little group. The intertia-pulled made an almost identical average group (3 groups of 10). The collet-pulled again made almost identical groups. And the ugly pliers-pulled bullets? Ditto. I saw NO significant difference in group size.

I believe that as long as the bases of the bullets are undamaged, slight damage to the sides of the bullets merely "irons out" in the rifling as the bullet shortens and obturates under gas pressure.

This!

I've pulled many with my press and pliers. I used them initially to fire form AK brass, and I found them to be plenty accurate, even the ones that slipped a bit.

Unless someone has actually shot some, you have no basis to chime in. wink

Bullets conform to the bore long before any significant pressures have churned up and do get ironed out.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I recently passed on buying some .308" 168 matchkings because they were obviously pulled with a pliers. The guy didn't want much for them but I figured
A- they wouldn't be accurate
B- they may harm my barrel.
Was I right in my assumptions?
I read a test quite a while back where bullets had the tips deformed in many ways from flattening them to cutting them completely off. Then they also deformed the bases on other bullets and tested those, also.

The bullets with the tips deformed shot about normally at 100 yards. I believe they lost accuracy past that point, but not rapidly. The bullets with the bases deformed lost a lot of accuracy at 100 and much more and rapidly past that.

This may not exactly answer the question but should give you an idea that the tip of the bullet is not nearly as critical as the base.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've bought and shot Sierra seconds that shot better than the boxed, identical SKU stuff.

I haven't had the same luck with those in .224", but the .308s were superb.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (338reddog, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.