Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just returned from a successful cow elk hunt with Boulder Creek Outfitters in Idaho. The day my partner and I arrived we were paired with another man from Idaho. This fellow had apparently hunted elk quite a bit in the northern part of the state and he sounded quite experienced. He said he had previously killed several 5x5's.

Our first actual hunting day found us in a truck with quite a long, early drive to our hunting ground so we visited to pass the time. Our guide asked us at what distance we were comfortable shooting. My buddy and I asserted that we were comfortable shooting at around 300 yards but preferabably a shorter range. The other man from Idaho said he was after a nice bull and was comfortable shooting at 500-600 yards as he had this Leupold scope which he could twist the elevation dials and adjust his impact point for various ranges. His new Browning rifle could put 3 shots into a six inch circle at 500 yards. As he said, his "rifle is accurate out to 500 yards. I've practiced at 500 yards and I can make the shot. My range finder also adjusts for horizontal elevation distance to the target and my scope dials are matched to my particular bullet and load."

Well, you guessed it. That morning he had an opportunity at a nice 6x6 bull at something approaching 525 yards across a canyon. It was raining slightly, some blustery wind, and he was prone using his bi-pod attached to his rifle laid over his back-pack. The elk were moving slowly across the hill side slightly below his horizontal elevation. He fired three shots and missed all three. His first two shots were called "high" by one of the guides.

He couldn't figure it out. He admitted he wasn't steady using his bi-pod over his pack, necessary due to the tall grass. It was raining denying a clear visual on the elk. It was windy. He wasn't sure he was ranging the correct animal due to the rain, and extreme distance. He had made the necessary scope adjustments. Thre may have been other possible reasons for the miss too but I have forgotten them.

There you have it. The trials and tribulations of shooting at game at long ranges in real life situations.

Rolly
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
500/600 is not that far.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It was most likely the Indian, not the arrow.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, yeah. But he was bragging about his rifle putting three shots into six inches at 500, which even under ideal conditions isn't that great. Add some wind....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not steady.
Raining.
No clear visual.
Not sure if correct range.
Blustery wind.

Shoots anyway.

Misses 3 times.

Nuff said.........

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes, heaven forbid we should infer that shooting elk at long range is anything other than good, common practice. GD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
plus the elk were moving, i wouldn't shoot at a moving target that far.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by greydog
Yes, heaven forbid we should infer that shooting elk at long range is anything other than good, common practice. GD

I think we're all saying that, given the conditions and skills of the shooter.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is what happens when the casual range work morf's into real life situations and the conditions are never the same. I'm sure the guy could do what he said.....at the range and under ideal conditions.

Those "short range" 500 yard situations are suddenly not so "short". The technology lies to you,the wind throws you off in calculations,shooting conditions not ideal. Doesn't take much to throw you off at that distance when a bullet is plummeting 25-35 inches and the wind is blowing.

Why I don't listen when I hear that 500 yards is "short range"..I've BTDT several times on elk and I promise there was not much about it that I found easy. I even walked away from some shots.

If the guide had asked me I'd have responded..."Let's get as close as we can and I'll let you know then..."

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Those "short range" 500 yard situations are suddenly not so "short". The technology lies to you,the wind throws you off in calculations,shooting conditions not ideal.

Plus the ground is rarely as level and your platform is rarely as stable as it is at the range.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well, yeah. But he was bragging about his rifle putting three shots into six inches at 500, which even under ideal conditions isn't that great. Add some wind....

John, very true. At the moment of taking such a shot there are probably innumerable factors ready to derail it. But speaking of wind, a cross-canyon experience I had made me very careful in considering them from then on--the 15-20 mph winds were in opposite directions on a canyon only five hundred yards wide.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
smokepole is it ever flat level across those canyons?

When is 500 yards NOT 500 yards? smile

Riddle.... crazy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't know, but it seems like most of the time when I'm up on a vantage point where I can see a good ways for a LR shot (in the mountains at least) the ground is falling away in front of me. It's never as easy as at the range, and you never have as much time to get situated "just right."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rolly
"I've practiced at 500 yards and I can make the shot. My range finder also adjusts for horizontal elevation distance to the target and my scope dials are matched to my particular bullet and load."

It was raining slightly, some blustery wind, and he was prone using his bi-pod attached to his rifle laid over his back-pack.

Did he practice in the same conditions as when he made the shot? There's your answer.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm at the age where there are some things I'm sure of but they are relatively few. I would never tell a guide or outfitter or hunting companion, "I'm good to six hundred".

To paraphrase a famous saying," it's better to remain quiet and be wondered about than to make decalarations you later fail at".

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Rolly
"I've practiced at 500 yards and I can make the shot. My range finder also adjusts for horizontal elevation distance to the target and my scope dials are matched to my particular bullet and load."

Did he practice in the same conditions as when he made the shot? There's your answer.

P

I hadn't realized there was a question...

But I'll put my oar in the water, as we all seem to be rowing in circles anyway. I don't have a problem with hunters shooting game at 500 yards, any more than I have a problem with folks doing so at 150 yards. I've seen plenty of folks who have no business doing either, and others who are dead nuts on at the same ranges. As you say, it comes down to how well you've trained.

I recall a hunting trip a few years back when I missed 4 animals out of 5 I shot at in the first 2 days of the hunt. This was with a very familiar and very accurate rifle and scope I had killed many heads of game with over about 8 years, btw. I was so confident in that rifle and it's pet load that any big game I'd selected inside of 400 yards always went down. I was puzzled by these misses, but as I didn't have an easy way to check the rifle out in the field, I switched to my backup rifle. I filled my remaining tags with no more misses.

When I went home, I found one of the scope ring screws was stripped, and 2 or 3 of the others were slightly loose. The rifle would barely hold minute-of-barn door at 100 yards. But I hadn't known this before the hunt because I only put 2-3 rounds down range at 100 yards to "check zero" before my hunt. If I'd followed my usual habit, and put 15-20 rounds on paper out to 400 yards prior to traveling to WY I'd have known about this problem before it became a problem. BTW, this pre-hunt Ritual has more to do with checking 'the nut behind the trigger' than any part of the rifle, IMHO; but as this case proved, rifles and scope mounts can and do get gremlins without warning, so it'/ smart to assume Murphy has been at work in your gunsafe every new hunting season.

In tactical circles, we often cite the mantra, "Train the way you expect to fight, for you will surely fight the way you have trained," and "If it ain't rainin', it ain't trainin'!" Same things apply to hunting. You have to train with your rifle from hunting positions, in hunting conditions, if you expect to succeed when you draw down at that trophy animal, whether it be at 150 yards or 1050 yards.

Last edited by DocRocket; 10/22/16.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
500/600 is not that far.

It is when it's windy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Add that the "less than steady shooting position" and that's enough to explain the misses.
Everytime I get fired up about reaching out beyond 300 yds., I usually try it out under field conditions. That's means no benches rest or other really solid rest. That means with whatever wind is present unless it's odviously too much wind.

That alone usually does it for me. Especially if I'm hunting something as tough as a bull elk. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
the 15-20 mph winds were in opposite directions on a canyon only five hundred yards wide.

I had a L>R wind on my side be a bottom to top wind on the opposite side of a canyon. The grass was laying flat with each gust up the side of the canyon.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
smokepole is it ever flat level across those canyons?

When is 500 yards NOT 500 yards? smile

Riddle.... crazy

When it's on the slant...

You know that.Trick question.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.