Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice buck - congrats!

We had only doe tags. When Daughter #3 arrived with her fiancee we found a small herd in a crop circle, about 300 yards out. Although she has been shooting my .257 Roberts for years, this was her first hunt for game of any size, big or small. We settled in between some round bales to watch.

While we both were comfortable with her shooting out to 500 and 600 yards at the range, the 'lopes were not nervous and we decided to see if they would work their way back toward us. They did, but slowly. As we watched, there were two really nice shooter/wall-hanger bucks in the herd. Then another buck came out from behind a hay bale. All of us went "Wow!" That buck dwarfed the others and for the first time I wished someone had a buck tag.

Daughter #3 finally took a shot at a little under 200 yards. Bang/flop.

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to your daughter - most years I'll get a couple doe tags as well, I really like eating antelope so with a few more tags its good to have in the freezer!

One of the 2 "trophy" does from this year:)

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good job! Horns taste like crap anyway. Doe antelope are a blast and eat well.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Looks like a great time! Congratulations.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That looks like a lot of fun! Need to make that hunt happen myself and with my family one of these years. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Enjoy the good eating!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Proud Dad -

It isn't an expensive hunt, or doesn't need to be. Ask ranchers for access and you'll often get it for free if you're hunting does. (Less so for bucks.) Non-resident doe tags are about $35 each and you can apply for two.

Here's a photo of Daughter #1 from our WY hunt a couple weeks ago with a doe she took at a little over 360 yards:

[Linked Image]

Including the two grandkids, we had 9 family members on the hunt with five shooters. Everyone filled their tags in the space of two days. It has become an annual tradition that everyone looks forward to.

Recommend you get started sooner rather than later!

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/21/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Actually, unless its changed for some of the central units I'm pretty sure you can get up to 4 doe/fawn licenses? This might apply to all units but thought it was mostly for the central ones?? Someone who knows for sure can chime in but pretty sure you can get more then 2 doe tags most years if you wanted.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 10/21/16.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You half to be 12 to hunt big game in Wyoming right? My son is not 12 yet is there any other states that allow antelope hunting under the age of 12?

Tater
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Proud Dad -

It isn't an expensive hunt, or doesn't need to be. Ask ranchers for access and you'll often get it for free if you're hunting does. (Less so for bucks.) Non-resident doe tags are about $35 each and you can apply for two.

Here's a photo of Daughter #1 from our WY hunt a couple weeks ago with a doe she took at a little over 360 yards:

[Linked Image]

Including the two grandkids, we had 9 family members on the hunt with five shooters. Everyone filled their tags in the space of two days. It has become an annual tradition that everyone looks forward to.

Recommend you get started sooner rather than later!

Thanks. I'm going to start looking into making that happen. Life's too short to keep putting things off and I'm ready to start making things like this a reality. Looks like a great family adventure!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Frank,
I was back in that area just north of you again this year.
I got out there on the 7th.
Bucks ran all the same size by us, but the numbers are starting to look good again.
Congrats on another fine animal.

Mark

Last edited by claycrusher; 10/23/16.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Actually, unless its changed for some of the central units I'm pretty sure you can get up to 4 doe/fawn licenses? This might apply to all units but thought it was mostly for the central ones?? Someone who knows for sure can chime in but pretty sure you can get more then 2 doe tags most years if you wanted.

There is (or used to be) a way to get 4 doe tags. You can/could apply for a maximum of two in the draw, with the additional licenses being purchased after the draw as leftovers.

As far as I know there were no leftovers for Unit 9, where we hunt. Not that it mattered to us as we only went for one apiece in the draw. Have to save room in the freezer for elk. smile

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/25/16. Reason: spelnig

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nice one - congrats!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 1973cb450, 12 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.