Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem141r
for the first couple days of rifle season i usually sit all day at one spot and let the impatient and hungry guys push them around. i have gotten most of my post-rut deer from 10-2 during this time. after that i typically hunt a rotation method. i try to have several stands set up that i will spend several hours at each with the last one being closest to the truck.

Same here, kind of depending on how many guys are at the club and where they're hunting. Most of them come down around 11 and go back up about 2 and they make a God awful racket in the process.

When it's not crowded I'll still hunt from stand to stand.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My place is so private now that it don't matter but when I hunted around others I used to love to take advantage of the "cant sit" crowd, they make it so easy.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
When I hunted in Pa. The first day, I sat all day.. Sometimes the second day also.. Then morning and evening hunts, except for the two Sat. s of season.. If I do not have a buck, they were all day affairs..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When my wife joined me in retirement we spent 55 days at the deer camp. Pre rut in south Texas starts just after thanksgiving. That's when it starts getting serious. Rut gets into full swing around the 10 th of December. Depending on what the deer are doing and the moon and weather determines how much time I spend in the field. General season starts first of November till middle of January. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Kill most of my deer between 10 am and 2 pm, on stand, still hunting.......larger areas of no ag, to small spots along ag.
Ridiculously heavy pressure or very light.

Long sits right before gun, and the gun opener.

Why I don't hit it hard in early season, too easy to get burned out.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dark till Dark

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Evening for a couple hours. Rest of the time depends on what the Deer are doing and weather. If the Deer are not moving, makes little sense to also be holed up. 5 hunters on a 1200 acre lease-and middle week most times less-Deer mostly do what Deer do normally and are not spooky from being pushed. Fun times to go and find them.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
L
Hi,

I just bought a Sako 85 Hunter .300 win mag, and would like to purchase a Nightforce 5.5x22x56 NXS velocity 1000. Any idea on the model of the scope I should use HVM, CVM, etc. They say to make sure you order the right one for your gun, but not sure which is the right one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always still hunt, moving slowly and letting them give themselves up. The areas I hunt are a lot different than most areas down south though. I actually sat for a couple of hours today but I didn't see anything move through where I was sitting. I got up and hiked around a little bit and actually shot a buck as it was walking up to where I was sitting before. Two wheelers went by me and on their return they also got a buck about 150yds away from where I was on the other side of the ridge. Go figure. The wind had died down and I think the bucks were up and moving around. I saw another one on the way back but on a 2 mile hike with a full pack, I will go back for him!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SoonerWing
Assuming you hunt out of a tree or in a blind, how long do you typically stay on stand? Wondering what percentage sit all day and for those who don't, what time they call it in the morning and what time they go back out in the afternoon.

My routine is about the same throughout season. I try to be up in the stand a half-hour before legal hunting and I stay until 1030-1100, and then I'm back out in the afternoon with about 3 hours of hunting before end of legal hunting.

For the Rifle Opener in KY, that equates to:
Morning: 0615 to 1100 Afternoon: 1500 to 1750

My reasons for a 4-hour hiatus at midday are:

1) As the patriarch of deer camp, I have responsibilities.
2) Although I seldom hunted all day, I'm 58 now. It's good to get in and give myself a break.
3) I change clothing, rifles, and gear, because I usually change venues from morning to afternoon.

What I can tell you from analysis of our log is that:

The 0800-0900 block sees the most deer killed, followed by the 0900-1000 hour. Third is the last hour of daylight. We have recorded only 7 kills between 1100 and 1700 in 15 years. Surprisingly, we've only recorded 4 kills before 0800 in that same time frame, but 3 of the 4 were our biggest bucks.

Another thing I can tell you is that my neighbors, voting with their rifles concur. During the peak activity there may be 3 shot-strings per minute. From 1100 to 1700 there are maybe 3 per hour.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I sit as long as I can stand it. If the stand is uncomfortable, I may get down about 10 or 11 to stretch a bit and eat, then climb back up. Last year, I got down after a few does went by on my blind side and was taking a whiz, when a latecomer trotted up and volunteered for the freezer at less than 50 feet.

This year, I'm hunting on private land and invested in a nice 2-man ladder with a comfy seat and padded rail. The spot it's in is so sweet, I may invest in a pee bottle so I can stay longer without stinking the area up (on public land, there's so much urine spread around, I don't worry about it). My son saw four bucks there yesterday, out of bow range naturally.

ML season in two weeks!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Short answer, depends.

During the rut and our 9 Day gun season or during the rut in bow season I sit dark to dark.

Pre-rut and late season archery I'll go as conditions and deer patterns dictate.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The longer you're in the woods, the shorter the time to when you will kill a buck.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by SoonerWing
Assuming you hunt out of a tree or in a blind, how long do you typically stay on stand? Wondering what percentage sit all day and for those who don't, what time they call it in the morning and what time they go back out in the afternoon.

My routine is about the same throughout season. I try to be up in the stand a half-hour before legal hunting and I stay until 1030-1100, and then I'm back out in the afternoon with about 3 hours of hunting before end of legal hunting.

For the Rifle Opener in KY, that equates to:
Morning: 0615 to 1100 Afternoon: 1500 to 1750

My reasons for a 4-hour hiatus at midday are:

1) As the patriarch of deer camp, I have responsibilities.
2) Although I seldom hunted all day, I'm 58 now. It's good to get in and give myself a break.
3) I change clothing, rifles, and gear, because I usually change venues from morning to afternoon.

What I can tell you from analysis of our log is that:

The 0800-0900 block sees the most deer killed, followed by the 0900-1000 hour. Third is the last hour of daylight. We have recorded only 7 kills between 1100 and 1700 in 15 years. Surprisingly, we've only recorded 4 kills before 0800 in that same time frame, but 3 of the 4 were our biggest bucks.

Another thing I can tell you is that my neighbors, voting with their rifles concur. During the peak activity there may be 3 shot-strings per minute. From 1100 to 1700 there are maybe 3 per hour.

This ^^^^^^

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Opening Day, I'm in position an hour before shooting time and stay all day. I eat in the field and may even take a nap during mid afternoon.

2nd day varies. I have repeated the "Opening Day" tactics or depending on weather and pressure. I may only hunt the evening which I try to be in the field by 3p.m. and hunt til dark.

After opening day, the odds of success decrease substantially in my experience.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
After opening day, the odds of success decrease substantially in my experience.

Agreed, especially on public land. The plot I've been hunting since 2012 becomes devoid of whitetails after about the second day. I suspect they walk across the Shenandoah to the private property on the other side. Last year, after killing a doe on the second day, I hit it pretty hard for the remainder of the season and saw not a hair.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bow -

Dark to about 1200, then 1400 to dark

Rifle -

Week 1 - dark/dark
Week 2 - dark/cold and then about 1400/dark

I tend to see a lot of deer 1100-1400 that first week of rifle as I assume others are going in and moving the deer around.

Me

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.