Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
You are lucky indeed. My dad isn't allergic to it, wish I had gotten that gene.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the best thing is to learn to ID it and avoid it. if you think you got in it, use dawn dishwashing detergent and cold water to scrub yourself down immediately. my property is loaded too and i have been able to minimize its effects this way.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I take a poison ivy capsule every Spring. It has poison ivy in it and it helps reduce the reaction.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"the best thing is to learn to ID it and avoid it"

I had to do this and now avoid it or I'll be on prednisone

I never had a problem with it till I got older,now if I look at it I'll get it

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Next time you get poison ivy, you may want to try one of the old time lye soaps. There are several on the market. I don't know how it works but it does and very quickly. Stops the itching almost at once.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
one other thing, if you're a rabbit hunter, wear gloves when handling dead bunnies. the worst case i ever got was in january after a snowy bunny hunt. the bunnies were all in tangled vines and i got several and gutted and skinned them without gloves. the vines have the oil on them year round.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats on the fishing. Sorry about your ordeal with the ivy. It is bad [bleep].

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I wash in my hands in dawn every time I wash my hands. I keep a bottle on a huge wire spool we use as a camp table and wash often. I wash my sleeping bag, shoes and clothes as soon as I get home. It beats all I have ever had. It's growing up a locust tree that I dock my boat under but I'm careful to not touch it when getting in and out of my boat. My son Reid has a friend who isn't allergic to it so I had him chop the vine growing up the trunk into. Hopefully it will dry up and die. I'm gonna spray it the next time I'm up there.

I don't know if you know this or not but poison Ivy and poison oak both need brush killer to get after it, Roundup just makes it a little sick and it will come right back.
Goats and llamas. They love to eat the stuff and they're immune to it. Don't pet one after it's been floundering in it, though. I've read about people who have got rid of it entirely on their properties by using movable electric fences and a bunch of goats.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheOldTree
Round up works fine on poison ivy. The only people that bitch about Round up, ain't the people that use it.

Just like life, you have no idea of which you speak. I go through approx 35 to 50 gallons of concentrated roundup per year at work. Poison ivy is a woody plant, woody plants require a brush killer, anyone that knows anything about grass, plants, trees knows this.

So there ya go, now you have a tiny bit more knowledge to navigate through your pathetic little life with.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Goats and llamas. They love to eat the stuff and they're immune to it. Don't pet one after it's been floundering in it, though. I've read about people who have got rid of it entirely on their properties by using movable electric fences and a bunch of goats.

Lol, The county here hires a guy to bring in his goats and fence to get rid of the poison Ivy in some of the parks. I would think it be cheaper to use a few college kids and spot spray with roundup.

Poison Ivy is actually a really cool plant, It can disguise itself to match it's surroundings. It will take on characteristics in it's leaves of the plants that grow around it but can always be identified because it will always have a unique "lobe" on at least one leaf, it may be subtle but it is there.

Here's a pretty good article on it but not the one I was looking for.

Link.

Google images of Poison Ivy and you will be able to see how it disguises it's leaves.

Here's another good link. Link.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lol, The county here hires a guy to bring in his goats and fence to get rid of the poison Ivy in some of the parks. I would think it be cheaper to use a few college kids and spot spray with roundup.
That's government. Leave it to individuals to clean up their own property and it will invariably get done better and cheaper.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Troy, I hunted just yesterday in poison oak. I carry a ziploc bag in my pocket full of Costco baby wipes. If my hands brush against something while I'm still hunting, I whip around and see what it was. If it was poison oak, I take a baby wipe and wipe my hands down. Of course pants and especially boots are covered with the oil, so when you sit down to glass with your forearms on your knees, wipe them off. When you tighten your boot laces, wipe your hands down. When you take a crap, nice to have wipes rather than paper if you know what I mean.

If its cool enough I wear a pair of Primos lightweight gloves that come high up my arms to keep the poison oak off my hands. Wash them when I get home. All my clothes go straight to the washer when I come through the door. Don't forget next time you lace up your boots to wash your hands afterwards.

I go to the hardware store and buy tall rubber gloves for dressing game because they live in poison oak. When I'm done, baby wipes everywhere. I don't make a backpack out of my deer to haul them out either!

If I end up with it, the only thing that gives relief is called (spelling) Gwe Hi balm. It's similar to a BenGay/Icy Hot type sensation, very strong. Do not get it in your eyes or on privates!!! Very hard to find but works. We are currently out with no luck replacing so I pretty much obsess about staying poison oak free. If I get poison oak in the future, I will be trying anything like icy hot to try to get some relief. You might check into it and see if it works.

I get it bad but if I carry and use the baby wipes while hunting, then straight to the washer and shower upon getting home, I have no poison oak ever.

You simply can't ignore it and expect to stay free of it, you must deliberately manage it, but you can successfully.

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/22/16.

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No poison ivy here lots of poison oak and you can catch it in many ways including petting the dogs. I'm very sensitive to it and have had it every year for 40+ years of tromping through the woods.

I use "Mean Green" scrub to remove the oil, it is cheap and as effective as the Zanfel $12 per ounce made for the purpose. It is almost as effective as the steroid injections for fast recovery.

To kill it at our place I use a mix of roundup and Dawn dish soap to dry the plants. About 2 weeks after spraying the plants are dead or dying. That is effective in our very dry climate not sure about ivy or wet climates.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen poison oak anywhere in so. Idaho. We do have poison ivy, usually at lower elevations. I live at about 4k and we have lots of it along waterways. It's easy to see and avoid, though, and I seldom hear of people getting into it.

Years ago, though, my boss's wife was a cub scout leader. She took her cubs on a hike and one of the boys slipped off into the greenery for a nature call. He wiped his butt with poison ivy and he was one hurting little kid. They had him in the hospital for a while.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Good to hear from y'all.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It must not affect me, I've been around it many times with no problems. I've known people who would get a reaction quite a way downwind of it. When we moved here a couple of years ago there was poison ivy on the bank next to the garage. Neighbor warned me about it when she saw me out there with a weed wacker. I got some stuff at the hardware store made just for killing off poison ivy, sprayed down the plants, they died, haven't come back in two years now.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Poison oak and ivy are accumulative. You might go for years without it affecting you but then one day it will hit like a sledge hammer. Once it does, you'll be susceptible forever. If you're immune now, stay away from it and save your immunity for accidents.

― George Orwell

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leaves of three, let them be… Leaves of five, let them thrive!

Poison oak is not typically found in the East. But Ivy is a different story. Up on our mountain in Asheville, I have vines as large as trees growing right along side tall oaks and sourwoods.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Leaves of five is Virginia Creeper and some people have reactions to it but not most.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yepper.....did not know some folks have a reaction to creeper.

Think that's mental or for real?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 11point, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 12308300, 76 invisible), 2,868 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,861
Posts18,403,096
Members73,824
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.