Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I haven't been around much as of late. Been camping and fishing on the creek property for the last month. The Holston River has been good to me for the last 2 months except for a prop that was completely destroyed and a mean azz case of poison ivy/oak. I have had it on the back of my thighs and between my fingers for 4 weeks. I have bathed in clorox, Aveno oatmeal powder and Epsom salt, taken prednisone, basted myself with Ivy dry, calamine, caladryle, ivearest, hydrocortisone, and steroid cream. I first had it on my feet and ankles and it dried up but the patch on my legs, between my fingers, on my arms and a patch on my stomach won't give up. I wash in poison ivy soap after I have been out and I still end up with a new patch every week. The smallmouth fishing has been awesome so it's been worth it but damn if it isn't torture when you get to digging at it.

I put out some limb lines and run them at night and caught a bunch of cats between 5 and 10 pounds, flat heads and channels. I hadn't put out limb lines since I was in high school. The Grass has been worse this year than I have seen it in 20 years up there. The last 6 weeks have been so bad the only thing you can fish is a grass frog or horns toad or punch the grass mats with a heavy Texas rig.

Back to the prop, I'm always prepared, prepared to bum a pair of pliers from a farmer to straitened the prop out. I'm also always prepared, prepared to fish sleeveless all day because I forgot to replace the tp in my boat. Holy hell I have been having a blast. Can't get pics to post. If you want pics go to bushcraftusa.com and look at creekside homestead under the preparedness/homestead forum. Come and see me, we will camp, fish, eat and drink.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Poison Ivy sucks Troy, but sound like you are catching lots of fish and enjoying your new place.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was wondering what went with you. Glad you're having fun.
Poison ivy can get real bad.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Glad you're having fun Troy.

It appears as though the property was a good investment.....well except for the Poison Ivy.

I avoid the stuff like the plague!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dawn dish soap is your friend, every ting you touch has the oil on them, rod hands, boat tiller and yes boot laces, be clean and you will be happy.

Great buy , by the way! To many of these guys are to cheap to invest in their own well being and happiness!

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Would be up there right now but had to work today and gonna work tomorrow too. Don't have to work tomorrow but doubletime will buy some much needed camping stuff for the place. I'm torn between a camper or building a small cabin.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I wash in my hands in dawn every time I wash my hands. I keep a bottle on a huge wire spool we use as a camp table and wash often. I wash my sleeping bag, shoes and clothes as soon as I get home. It beats all I have ever had. It's growing up a locust tree that I dock my boat under but I'm careful to not touch it when getting in and out of my boat. My son Reid has a friend who isn't allergic to it so I had him chop the vine growing up the trunk into. Hopefully it will dry up and die. I'm gonna spray it the next time I'm up there.

Last edited by seal_billy; 10/22/16.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Would be up there right now but had to work today and gonna work tomorrow too. Don't have to work tomorrow but doubletime will buy some much needed camping stuff for the place. I'm torn between a camper or building a small cabin.

I always thought a 10x16 shed would make a great little getaway, fold up beds and a kitchen is about all you really need.

a camper would be good as you could move it if the water decided to rise a little to far.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
A outhouse would be an improvement right now. Lol, one with plenty of Charmin!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I wash in my hands in dawn every time I wash my hands. I keep a bottle on a huge wire spool we use as a camp table and wash often. I wash my sleeping bag, shoes and clothes as soon as I get home. It beats all I have ever had. It's growing up a locust tree that I dock my boat under but I'm careful to not touch it when getting in and out of my boat. My son Reid has a friend who isn't allergic to it so I had him chop the vine growing up the trunk into. Hopefully it will dry up and die. I'm gonna spray it the next time I'm up there.

I don't know if you know this or not but poison Ivy and poison oak both need brush killer to get after it, Roundup just makes it a little sick and it will come right back.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
seal_billy,

Glad you're having fun. I hardly ever get it anymore because before I go into it I'm covered with IvyX. I used to use IVY BLOCK but it seems to be off the market. As soon as I return from my forays I shower and wash. Then I wash again.

I really like the idea of the dish soap. Thanks for the idea.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Paul, the camper is appealing because I could move it to Davy Crockett Reservoir when the grass on John Sevier is dieing and floating down river. Plus theys muskies in them there waters!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Hummmmmmmmmm brush killer. Will check it out. We need that at work too, I spray the fence about once a month.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
one of my buddy's spent a week in the hospital after accidentally burning poison ivy while he was burning a pile of other weeds, he inhaled the fumes.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Roger I got it the same way when I was in my 20s. It was hell. I cut a mulberry tree that was dead that had some vines growing up it and we have been burning it at night for a campfire but I'm sure it was honeysuckle not poison ivy, unless I overlooked some.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Ps that's a hell of a hawk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Around these parts,poison ivy is only a foot or so high,doesn't grow up trees.
You sure you've identified it correctly?
Maybe that could be why you keep getting it, mis identified it with something else?
Best of luck

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Round up works fine on poison ivy. The only people that bitch about Round up, ain't the people that use it.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by fluffy
Around these parts,poison ivy is only a foot or so high,doesn't grow up trees.
You sure you've identified it correctly?
Maybe that could be why you keep getting it, mis identified it with something else?
Best of luck

There are at least 3 types of poison ivy. It can grow on the ground like you see it, it can grow as a bush when out in the open and it can grow up trees as a vine on the edges of tree lines. It's easy to see as it has a fuzzy looking vine and the leaves are in 3 leaf clusters. Poison oak looks almost identical as ivy. Poison sumac looks totally different. Either was it's a fact that 3 things of this world are surely going to be in hell, poison ivy, poison oak and mosquitos.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sure doesn't sound like fun atall!

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones that isn't affected by poison ivy/oak. Hope it stays that way... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

366 members (160user, 1Longbow, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,692
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.