Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

[Linked Image]

From the looks of that bolt face, you've had at least 3 primers cracked, maybe more. Looks like the face of my RAR bolt, although that big one in yours is a lot worse, that's a bad one.

GB1

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
my check is on the way too. I can have the bolt face fixed also. Sharon said she could have the rifle picked up and sent to Remington. Or,have it fixed by the smith of my choosing on their dime. Not happy about the damage,but I dont know that it poses a problem. I might have a smithy look at it.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

[Linked Image]

From the looks of that bolt face, you've had at least 3 primers cracked, maybe more. Looks like the face of my RAR bolt, although that big one in yours is a lot worse, that's a bad one.

Thats the first one to let go in that gun. I had already cleaned it up with Hoppes #9 and a q-tip when I took the pic.

I did have a WLR leak 5-6 years ago in a 280AI that I chalked up to old brass and loose primer pockets.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
You've got three separate pits in that bolt face, I doubt that one primer caused the others.

They normally aren't that noticeable, you probably had a couple others before this but didn't notice them. None of mine were noticeable when firing, only on close examination of the brass and bolt face afterwards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had the same problem, but didn't realize it was primer failure. Its happened 4 or 5 times and I thought I had loaded up a few cases that I had meant to throw away. Pitted the bolt face in several places.

I wonder if they will fix the bolt face, if I dont have pics of any of the bad cases?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just got off the phone with Sharon. I gave her my two lot #'s of WLR's and she said they were not on the bad list, but they were close to the known bad lot #'s and they would replace them. They are sending the pkging, so I can return them.

Also, they wanted pics of the bolt face and asked me to take it to a local gunsmith and get an estimate for repairs. This will all have to get approval, after they see the pics.

She asked me to take apart all my loaded ammo (100+ rounds) and return those primers also.

Guess I'll be shooting factory ammo this deer season.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The lots that have been posted how long ago were these lots made

Tater
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Also what primers are you guys gonna switch to if you are CCI Federal?

Tater
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Got a check for $35.00 today for 800 returned primers. Not too shabby.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
The lots that have been posted how long ago were these lots made

I'm just guessing, but I bought 5 boxes (500) primers about 5 years ago. I also bought 3-4 boxes about a year later. I'm not sure which purchase had the bad ones, because I would just grab a box and use it when needed.

Then I bought a carton (1000) primers about a month after buying the 3-4 boxes. They are replacing/paying for (I'm not sure which) what is left of the single boxes (about 250 primers) and the unopened carton (1000).

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I got 1000 new primers for replacement of my older ones that were pin holing.
I had one not detonate of the new. I will be watching this close now. Hope it is not a new problem and was just my error in seating. It did not detonate on the second attempt either.
??????

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have several claims to file with Winchester! Already sent contacted them twice in the last couple years for primer leakage issues but have yet for them to offer to fix my bolts! They have always asked to return the primers and send a "voucher" to use to replace. I used to use nothing but Winchester primers but as of last couple years, I'm getting turned off by them.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I went yesterday and bought 2000 CCI large rifle there was a lot of winchester on the shelf

Tater
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Do you guys who have bricks of Winchester Primers call/email Winchester with your lot number just to ensure it is safe primers? It seems to me that there are more lot numbers coming up and who knows if our lot number is safe.

Also a couple years ago I bought 10 sleeves of Winchester primer that did not come in the brick box. I looked on the sleeves and do not see a lot number. Should I go should I go ahead and shoot these and hope leaving primers does nor occur?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
valad - I would call Sharon - the number is up at the beginning of this thread. They will do the right thing for you in my opinion. The lot number is printed in black text on all the primers I had on the back side of the "sleeve". Maybe there are some where the number is embossed into the paper like Federal does? Not sure about that.

I would call them and see what they say before I used any more of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Phil09
valad - I would call Sharon - the number is up at the beginning of this thread. They will do the right thing for you in my opinion. The lot number is printed in black text on all the primers I had on the back side of the "sleeve". Maybe there are some where the number is embossed into the paper like Federal does? Not sure about that.

I would call them and see what they say before I used any more of them.

Good advice.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I just dealt with winchester on some primers purchased several years ago and Sharon is very easy to deal with. They are picking up the old primers and will send replacements. So far I'm happy with their response.

David

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just saw this thread. Turns out I have three cartons of WLR primers of three different lots. I did not have any idea when I bought them. I had used 100 from one of the three cartons.

I called Sharon this morning and she called back a few hours later. They are sending me proper shipping materials and a shipping label. They will send me three thousand replacement primers.

FYI the lot numbers are
YLL274G
HDL527G
GGL307G

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I called and left a message today, hope to hear back soon.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This thread was enlightening. I had no idea. I have only 100 I purchased years ago, but have yet to use them. I typically use CCI. But I have several boxes of Winchester factory ammo and wonder if those primers are affected. Seems like a good chance they would be.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 48 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,518
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.