Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Out of 5 Harts not a single bad one...........
Thought I broke your Hart when I left you.

Broughton 6mm barrel has been good to me, Kreiger also. Grab any of the popular ones and hope you get a good one. Don't put to much thought into it. It's sorta like a Chevy vs Ford thing IMO.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Got a Borden and a Beanland with a Hart.

Das guud vun!!!!!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by slg888

Broughton 6mm barrel has been good to me, Kreiger also. Grab any of the popular ones and hope you get a good one. Don't put to much thought into it. It's sorta like a Chevy vs Ford thing IMO.

You broke my hart when you didn't give me that 6mm br for my bday!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have 1 really accurate Broughton in 270 win it's an absolute lazer, I also really like Bartlien and had a really good Rockcreek, a lot of good barrels being made these days like Stoney says just pick the contour you like and find a maker that makes that contour and go with it

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I like Lilja when I can get them.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have owned a bunch of custom rifles and the all seemed to work quite well. Most of those listed I have purchased. Oddly enough however, I once had a 7mm Remington, that I had chambered to a 7mm imperial. Hated it, so I decided to make it into a backup rifle or loaner and put a Shaw barrel on it for half the price of the others. Dang thing shot just as well, go figure

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shilen, Brux, PacNor and Lilja, the only rifle that didn't shoot was the Shilen barreled 70 Featherweight about 16 years ago and likely due to the hacksmith or me since I was just getting serious about reloading and accuracy.

Dave

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Many companies make very good to great barrel blanks. The deciding factor is the type of rifling (cut vs button rifled) and barrel contour.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Favorite is Chanlynn, but I'll take just about any cut rifled, hand lapped barrel.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The last one Pac-Nor sold me sure is a beaut. That said, I have a Bartlein on order I'm real curious about.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Rock Creek

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
As above, I would expect most of the major barrel makers produce very accurate barrels. I am partial to Douglas and Lilja. Douglas will install the barrel, chamber it, and send it back in less time than some of the others take to just make the barrel and ship it. I use Lilja when I have a project that I want my local gunsmith to build for me.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had a new bare Remington 700 Short Action modified to my specifications for a swap barrel configuration using a barrel nut. Things like a pinned precision recoil lug for chassis stocks, firing pin bushed, double bolt sleeves, lugs fitted (not lapped) and other things that consumed money. Wanted a .22-250 Remington Ackley barrel. Yeah, I know why would anyone want such an abortion? So I ordered a Pac-Nor Super Match chambered for the Ackley, with a 1:9" twist for the 50 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade. Lead time was seven months, two months longer somebody could have given birth. Then I remembered Bergara Barrels, they made Remington barrels with a nut for a reasonable price. Checked the website and found a .22-250 Remington stainless steel varmint barrel, for a shade under $300.00, in stock at the time. When it arrived, I screwed it on using a headspace gauge, tightened it with a plumbers strap wrench as instructed, and torqued it down in a Bell & Carlson M4 Medalist stock. Then guessed at test loads with two powders and went to the range.

[Linked Image]

Amazing! Those red diamonds are 1/2" square. Used a Berger 50 grain bullet as the Bergara twist is 1:12", way too slow to stabilize the 50 grain Varmint Grenade. Not bad for ten shot groups at 100 yards, and with a little load fiddling, maybe could have improved the accuracy. Bergara prefit barrels aren't as available as they were then, but Criterion prefits for Remington and Savage are from Northland Shooters Supply, and they can be made to your specs. If in a hurry, why wait? Sometimes the less expensive modern production on CNC machines, with robots handling some chores, amazes.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 10/21/16.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Many companies make very good to great barrel blanks. The deciding factor is the type of rifling (cut vs button rifled) and barrel contour.

What is better, cut or button rifling?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cut or button is like arguing politics or religion. Great barrels are made with both types of rifling. Hammer forged not so much in my opinion. They are very smooth inside but seam to have way to much residual stress and have POI change as they heat up.

One barrel reborer has stated that he cannot guaranty the rebore of hammer forged barrels because he sometimes runs into voids in the steel of these barrels.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.