Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11523679 10/23/16
MOGC Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Guess it was time, I haven't missed a deer in a good while. I did yesterday. I've passed a few shots so far this season that I wasn't comfortable with. Yesterday morning at grey dawn I was sitting 14' up a tree in my climber on a brushy saddle between two huge hollows. The saddle is on an oak ridge that saddles over to a big round knob which is a grown up thicket that deer bed up in. On each side is a several mile long timbered hollow. This is close to 3/4 mile from a gravel conservation trail.

The temperature was 39* at daylight. Walking in there were Screech Owls carrying on, a Great Horned doing his thing and turkeys yelping on both sides of the main ridge. It was sunny and the wind came up to about ten mph about 9:30. A bazillion squirrels kept me constantly scanning. It's close and tight here with only one place to shoot over twenty yards. After standing in my climber all morning I decided to take a break and have a couple slices of deer sausage and a swig of water. Sure enough...

Five minutes after sitting down I listened to yet another squirrel straight behind my tree rustling the leaves. I peeked around the tree just in case ya know, and sure enough I saw a big old fat square headed doe walking in a line that would take her about 5 yards beside me. I got stood up in my stand, dumped my sausage into my seat just as the doe hit my scent trail where I walked in. She stopped at 6 yards, nostrils flaring and I could see and hear her sucking air in. She carefully looked around, took a step to the side where I had stepped over a log and gave it a good smelling over. Looking around she spotted my pull up rope swinging in the breeze. That caused her to jump sideways, stop, then begin a stiff legged fast walk in a semi-circle around me. Other than standing up I hadn't moved when she was so close and spooky. Now I grabbed my bow off the hanger and came to full draw. The button hook she was traveling was taking her on a broadside path out further from me around some brush. I had ranged a downed log there at 34 yards earlier and she was several yards closer in the one clear area for a shot this far. My HHA single pin was set for 25 yards, thinking she was about 32 yards I knew my drop should be about 7" or 8". I bleated, she stopped, and I did something dumb by holding the pin just over her back. She was downhill and I wanted a higher entrance for an expected low exit. I made a smooth shot and watched the arrow skim clearly just over her back. After she trotted off I ranged where she had been standing and now think she was only about 27 - 28 yards. I held off fur and that's exactly where the arrow went. Clean miss!

At noon I collected my misguided arrow and packed up my gear to move out on to a spur ridge where bucks have a recently opened up scrape line. At 4:15 a small buck cruised the downwind side of the scrape line. I passed him. About 6:00 a lone doe came in directly downwind and at 42 yards caught my scent and hightailed it. At dark I descended the tree, gathered up my gear and packed out to the truck as coyotes howled in three different directions around me. What a great day in the Ozark public land timber!!!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What county you in MO? Sat at our property in Benton this morning, no deer though.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
MOGC Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Reynolds ...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Down there a ways.

MOGC Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt mostly in Reynolds and Shannon counties. Current River country for the most part. I do hunt some in Iron County also.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pretty country.

MOGC Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Shannon County is 80% public land and has a bronze wild turkey statue in front of the county courthouse. Gotta love that! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good tale well told and I enjoyed reading it. Thank you!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have missed a few times myself

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Good story MOG. Sounds like a great place to hunt.
Are you sure she didnt go down to jump at the sound of the shot?
Do you do any squirrel or turkey hunting to speak of? I like eating fried squirrel if they arent too old and tough. Those get the pressure cooker.

I had TGiving day duck and squirrel dressing made with the juice off their boiling.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

MOGC Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No, she didn't react at all when I shot. I just goofed, that's all. I love squirrel and turkey hunting. Do a good bit of predator calling too and kill a few coyotes, bobcats and grey fox each year. Set up for crows in some of the old abandoned fields along the river and call in and kill some crows too. A country boy that likes to hunt and fish can stay busy if he wants to. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.