Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TXRam
With kids, pick up some jelly packets from McDonald's to go with the peanut butter - they've sold em to me for like 10 cents each. I also bought individual peanut butter cups from Jif I think. Makes for a good, easy pb&j sandwich (I carry the wheat sandwich thins myself vs tortillas).

Clif bars, trail mix, jerky, cheese sticks for snacks. Try to take something with some fiber... wink

My son likes Mountain House and when 8-12ish, thought it was cool too.

They are great in my opinion for a good, hot dinner after a long day hiking/hunting.

Got back last night.

With the water in that country, fiber is not really a big necessity.

Montana MOFO
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The steel cut oatmeal will stay with you longer than the instant.Takes a few more minutes to make,but well worth it.
Yeah, like about 5x longer. With instant, I'm hungry before the dishes are washed.

We do too. But then we dont' wash dishes until back to the house in AK. Might be 10 days or so. LOL. Never had 2 packs of oatmeal, instant not be enough for the intial go. But then to be fair, and that needs to be clear here... we eat differently.

We don't load up on fuel unless we have a need. We eat some, snack a lot and then if we have a climb or a pack out or such, we'll add as needed.

Adding olive oil to the MH works well also IMHO, we do that if we are going to be straining after the meal. LOL

OTOH I took a whole medium size moose, 1200 is pounds they guessed, from standing to pieces and back home at 4am, all by myself in 2014, and I never ate anything but constant snacking as I went along. Fuel it as you need it. It was the only way we could do duathlons and triathlons(wife) over the years. Eat some big bowl of steel oats and the race won't go well for us... LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
We went in last week.

Took too much heavy food. Lesson learned. Won't be doing that again. More dried food and less of the intact heavy stuff. Only exception is some soup. Nothing better in the evening after a hard day and temps are cooling than some good soup heated up. We like to take either chili or taco soup in that's full of meat and a fair amount of fat. Heat the leftovers up in the am for a great breakfast. Otherwise, mostly dehydrated from now on.

Figures out how much the kids eat while in there so I won't overpack for them again.

Now I just have to figure out how to take in dehydrated water to avoid the water in that country that is so hard on my gut.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bumping this back up. I have a extended pack-rafting trip across Chichagof next month and could use some lighter weight and easily cooked food for 10 days. Five will be backpacking and rafting, the rest will be glamping in cabins and transported by boat not backpacked but should be fairly non perishable. What do you folks do for extended trips.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,417
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.