Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Try the 3-9x42 HD SWFA W/Milquad. This scope is awesome!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bryguy
So are you guys running the side focus models or just the plain jane ones? wanna go ahead and order em today and roll on with it.

Plain Jane...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone tried this model yet?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx

With my old eyes, I like all the magnification I can get within reason.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
bryguy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
well 2 of the 10x42s are headed my way.....we shall see how they work out on the Savages I have.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Aside from hardware factors, I recommend the 'Shooter' ballistic app for your phone, as well as the 'Rigid' level app. Once you get the stuff entered on your load, Shooter is nice and fast.

A nice feature of Shooter is that it will let you put a correction factor in for your scope. If, for example, your scope's adjustments are not 1/4 MOA, but actually only 98% of a 1/4 MOA, that makes a difference.

In my limited experience, it is common to have a ballistic program calculate drop and find it to be consistently off what you experience in the field. If this occurs, you have to fudge velocity or some other variable until things match. The best thing to do is figure out in terms of % what the error is and correct it. Shooter lets you do this.

Similarly, there can be very slight errors in rangefinders and chronographs, but probably not as commonly as in scope internals. Each of these things will cause disparity with ballistic programs.

Folks with better gear, or who are just better shooters/loaders, may not experience this. Of course, if your scope is not consistent in the error, this is meaningless.

Really though, all the advice in the world will only get you started, or get you better faster. One simply has to put a lot of rounds down range and experience how successful their gear is.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Probably too late, but I like side focus.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bryguy I was just about to suggest the SHOOTER app too, and I believe it might have been Talus who put me onto it...

Reason being I've only gotten into the LR stuff the last 18-24 months myself and its a good easy LR app to help get your head around some of this stuff.

There might be better apps - dunno - but for a relative newcomer I found it very good.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you have iOS, Ballistic:AE is where to start and stop, when it comes to ballistic calculator software. It does everything so far cited, and a bunch more.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If you have iOS, Ballistic:AE when where to start and stop, when it comes to ballistic calculator software. It does everything so far cited, and a bunch more.

You tried Applied Ballistics? It has become my favorite. But i like AB as well, and shooter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have iOS, Ballistic:AE when where to start and stop, when it comes to ballistic calculator software. It does everything so far cited, and a bunch more.

This

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rosco1

You tried Applied Ballistics? It has become my favorite. But i like AB as well, and shooter.

Yeah, I have AB too. It's good, and has some advanced features, but I prefer Ballistic:AE by a mile.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks. Good drum.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've AE...but JBM cain't be whooped,as math is math.

Main thing is to feed good data in,to yield good data out and then to simply gun come-ups. I've zero interest in digital dope as a mainstay and want hard data scribed on all my stocks/ocular caps. I'd rather shoot,than fiddle fhuqk buttons.

Lotsa folks are occupied with finding reasons not to shoot,which is the antithesis of my approach,as an insatiable curiosity compels me to stretch things daily. You'll never learn more,than when on the trigger and dabbling less than favorable conditions is a Fast Track too.

A GOOD 22LR laden with a 10X MQ housing lotsa "up",is a crash course in what do what,as trace/impact are easily resolved and dots literally connect themselves. Was talking to a pard yesterday,who's come Hunting/Fishing with me a coupla times and went Custom Rifle CRAZY after the first visit and he stated that his Annie 54/75MOA Bob railed 10X MQ is his favorite rifle of all...and I savvy the appeal.

Gunning a 22LR at 500yds+++ is more than a buncha fun and the learning curve transitioned from that AO,makes all things centerfire a fhuqking breeze.

That's where AE is handy,as it's nice to have dope broken down to 5yd increments,when gunning a 22LR at the 700yd+ line,beings the comeups are so sizeable in sucha small distance shift.

Just might have another one to bolt together,when I get home.............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JBM is the ballistics computer that AE uses.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, when using AE you're getting JBM.

Agree with Stick about having hard data printed off or hand written and affixed to every rifle for field use. Though I do like to use the digital version when practicing, so as to thoroughly enter real-time inputs and factor any output variations, confirmed by putting bullets on target, into my dope. If I have time and the luxury in the field, I often open the app to get an exact firing solution, but the chart is on the stock/ocular cap for quick reference, or in case it's too cold for the phone to turn on grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

A GOOD 22LR laden with a 10X MQ housing lotsa "up",is a crash course in what do what,as trace/impact are easily resolved and dots literally connect themselves. Was talking to a pard yesterday,who's come Hunting/Fishing with me a coupla times and went Custom Rifle CRAZY after the first visit and he stated that his Annie 54/75MOA Bob railed 10X MQ is his favorite rifle of all...and I savvy the appeal.

Gunning a 22LR at 500yds+++ is more than a buncha fun and the learning curve transitioned from that AO,makes all things centerfire a fhuqking breeze.

Yup, dats the truth.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
and now we know where all that 22 ammo was going...

22 upgrade time

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you have iOS, Ballistic:AE is where to start and stop, when it comes to ballistic calculator software. It does everything so far cited, and a bunch more.

How does Ballistic AE work on a Droid? I've got Applied Ballistics now and it's gone haywire on me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

How does Ballistic AE work on a Droid? I've got Applied Ballistics now and it's gone haywire on me.

It doesn't. Unfortunately, iOS only. AB for Droid is pretty darn good, from what I understand. You might want to message Doc Beech for help with the app: doc.beechappliedballisticsllc.com

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
158 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 20 invisible), 1,989 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.