Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm soliciting thoughts on the best way to care for game meat that has been quartered and won't be final cut for some time. Case in point: I'm doing a 2 week elk hunt; 1 week in WY 1 week in CO. I shot an elk in WY Sunday AM. I have it quartered, boned, meat clean (ie. No dirt), and on ice. I drain any blood/water daily. My concern is the meat sitting in a cooler for 12-14 days. I've left them for 5-6 days but never longer.

I have options. I can have it frozen or processed when I get to CO. I'd greatly prefer to cut my own meat and would like to retain that option if possible.

What have you guys done in this situation?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Id drop it at a processor and have them store it for you dry.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Id drop it at a processor and have them store it for you dry.
+1 money well spent. Another option is haul a chest freezer and a generator.

Buy once, cry once.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[quote=Snake River Marksman]Id drop it at a processor and have them store it for you dry.[/quote

x2

no way would I leave meat in a cooler with high humidity for two weeks

or haul a chest freezer and gennie

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wouldn't take any chances. I'd have it processed.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/18/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Definitely have it froze or processed

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dry Ice possibly?

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Find a processor have them freeze it for you pick it up on the way home !

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Process it, freeze it, and keep it on dry ice in an old freezer if you aren't going back past the processor. Most processors won't have it ready for pick-up for 5-7 days anyway.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You made it very difficult by boning the meat. The increased surface area will make it impossible to hang and age...

That said, about 30 years ago I shot a Dall ram and had to go to work for two weeks. I packed the boned meat in the refrigerator as tight as I could.

Two weeks later the green mold completely covered the meat. It may have been a little "slippery" even.

A quick rinse and wipe down with vinegar took care of the mold. I have never eaten better meat than that ram!!!!!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. I'm in Steamboat and know they have several processers. I'll likely have them freeze it. I'll talk to them about dry storage as well. My plan is to shoot a bull this weekend and head home. Then I won't have a problem. <G>

Art - agree on boning/aging thing but I don't carry elk bones. They are heavy and I separate the hind qts by the 3 big muscles when I cut it up. Makes for smaller steaks.

Thanks again.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
may not apply in your situation, but what I did with a deboned caribou that I shot on a fly in hunt was keep the hind legs intact, and everything else was deboned and allowed to cool. I sprinkled everything but the backstraps with a salt/cure mix in the same proportions that I would need to make it into sausage later. Trimmed meat with cure /salt was stored in the shade in plastic bags. The salt and cure preserved the deboned meat and allowed me to keep that portion without worries, I hung the legs and backstraps in the shade in cotton bags and they made the trip OK. Don't think I'd go more than two weeks with this method though, and not in very warm weather either.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's an old rule of thumb on how long you can safely hang meat. For every 10 degrees F, cut the time in half.

35F, 2 weeks
45, 1 week
55, 3-4 days
65, 1-2 days
75, eat it now

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have hung deer in my garage for a week or so.

It's fairly damn damp, mid to high 30's at night, mid 40's or even 50's at day is typical.

Same deal as Sitka Deer. Grows a little mold. I just give it a vinegar wipe and trim anything that looks too suspicious. Usually isn't much at all, if anything, as long as you really watch it. Seems to turn quick with the moisture.

I'd like to build a little cold room. Be able to Keep humidity down while aging it.

Good luck!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Has anyone tried the products that have asorbic acid or vitamin C in them? Seems like it could reduce mold but may just be a gimmick. Here flies are an issue even with good game bags I liberally coat the meat with pepper. It helps some and is not hard to rinse off or just leave it if I am making jerky or sausage.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tejano
Has anyone tried the products that have asorbic acid or vitamin C in them? Seems like it could reduce mold but may just be a gimmick. Here flies are an issue even with good game bags I liberally coat the meat with pepper. It helps some and is not hard to rinse off or just leave it if I am making jerky or sausage.
Last month I shot an antelope. We got it skinned quickly, then bagged in tightly woven bags & cooled. It got down to near freezing that night and the next day I had it home and cut. Somehow, I still found a couple bunches of fly eggs on it. They're harmless if you cut them off but it's amazing how flies can get to meat that way.

― George Orwell

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Take it to locker plant. I couldn't eat it if it was in cooler more than a couple days.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You can get one of these wireless thermometers at Wally's for about $10. Drop the sensing unit in the cooler with the meat and you'll be able to keep track of how it's staying cool. Much piece of mind.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thags a good idea. Thanks!

I ended up just getting the first elk processed in CO wben I got there. They cut it and stored it for a week cheaper than just storing it........

KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano

I have used Game Saver citric acid spray. You mix the powder with water in a spray bottle and it works great. I ordered it over the Internet from Indian Valley Meat Co., in Indian Valley, AK. http://www.indianvalleymeats.com/about.htm

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.