Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm the guy with a separate posting about an Anschutz 54 Match Rifle that has some accuracy issues. I have just received & installed a new firing pin spring in it, and will report back on it after I test it in the next several days.

With the indoor rifle season quickly approaching, I'm faced with another .22 rifle issue:

I have a pretty accurate Mossberg 144US that will fire & properly eject about 12 rounds before a spent brass sticks in the chamber. I've changed right and left extractors; firing pin spring, polished the interior of the chamber; soaked and cleaned the bolt face and interior with solvent; changed ammunition brands(Eley Club, Wolf Match extra, Geco Rifle, RWS Target Rifle, CCI Std.; Winchester T22, etc.).

The guys that I shoot with have nicknamed the rifle "Muzzleberg" because I have to manually take a cleaning rod and push out the brass from the chamber.

Anyone have any ideas of what may be the problem?

As before, you guys are certainly a wealth of knowledge, and I appreciate you help- very much.

Last edited by SRShooter; 09/14/16.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If no one here has any answers, there is a huge and very knowledgable group of Mossberg shooters over on rimfirecentral. There is a separate "Mossberg" forum there to post your question.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SRShooter
I'm the guy with a separate posting about an Anschutz 54 Match Rifle that has some accuracy issues. I have just received & installed a new firing pin spring in it, and will report back on it after I test it in the next several days.

With the indoor rifle season quickly approaching, I'm faced with another .22 rifle issue:

I have a pretty accurate Mossberg 144US that will fire & properly eject about 12 rounds before a spent brass sticks in the chamber. I've changed ejectors; polished the interior of the chamber; soaked and cleaned the bolt face and interior with solvent; changed ammunition brands(Eley Club, Wolf Match extra, Geco Rifle, RWS Target Rifle, CCI Std.; Winchester T22, etc.).

The guys that I shoot with have nicknamed the rifle "Muzzleberg" because I have to manually take a cleaning rod and push out the brass from the chamber.

Anyone have any ideas of what may be the problem?

As before, you guys are certainly a wealth of knowledge, and I appreciate you help- very much.

By "ejectors", I'm assuming you mean extractors???? Did you also replace the extractor springs and plungers?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sounds like a extractor issue to me, they get rounded off with use

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the correction---extractors, not ejectors. I did not change the extractor springs and plunger.

Thanks guys!!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Springs may be weak buddy. Make sure the plungers are not gummed up too. Generally those won't need to be replaced unless they are galled up. Good luck with it. I had a similar problem with my Mossberg Chuckster 640KD a few years ago. New extractors and springs made it like a new rifle again..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I did replace the extractors and firing pin spring, but haven't found any parts or instructions for changing the extractor springs or plunger on a 144 US.

I'll keep looking.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have a Mossberg 144LS and had the same problem many years ago. A couple of people told me that these rifles are a little picky about the ammo and that is what is causing the problem. I changed out the extractor anyway. It has been awhile since I have used this rifle a lot but as far as I remember I can't recall having any more problems.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have you looked closely at the chamber? It's possible that the chamber is pitted or has a ring in it from shooting shorts in it. Try wrapping fine steel wool around a bore brush and giving the chamber a good cleaning.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 3,087 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.