-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The link is worth going to for the comments section... lots of idiots jumping on the idea of electrified chicken coops...

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/201...near-seward-after-raiding-chicken-coops/

Sow brown bear and 2 cubs killed near Seward after raiding chicken coops
Author: Zaz Hollander Updated: 4 hours ago Published 9 hours ago
Residents of a subdivision just outside Seward have killed a sow brown bear and two cubs this week in two separate shootings on different properties.

Both times, the bears were raiding backyard chicken coops, Alaska State Troopers said.

One cub was shot Wednesday, and a sow and another cub were shot Friday night.

Another cub that was fired on on Friday may not be hurt and remains on the loose, Alaska Wildlife Trooper Scott Sands said Saturday morning. The cubs were born this year, so they're probably 6 to 8 months old.

"All it knows how to do is raid chicken coops," Sands said. "It will probably turn up there at some point."

Residents in the Questa Woods subdivision, where both bear shootings occurred, blamed the sow and her three cubs for damaging coops and leaving residents on edge with bold nightly raids. Neighbors tracked their progress by calling one another and posting updates on a Facebook group.

Sands investigated both shootings and found they qualified as "in defense of life and property" killings protected by state law. But he also said he cited several residents in the subdivision for leaving trash out last summer and this week — none of them the people who shot the bears. He said that this summer chickens were the big draw and few chicken owners had protected their coops with electric fences.

"When a sow with three cubs is harvested — we don't encourage that," he said. "But sometimes it can't be avoided."

Sands said it's not certain that the three bears shot by residents were the trio of bears spotted in their yards. But he said he suspects they were, based on the age of the cubs and the sow's habit of raiding chicken coops in that location.

A number of residents wanted the Alaska Department of Fish and Game to kill the bears. The state had no plans to do that.

Numerous brown bears are in the area, authorities say.

Corinne Danzl and her husband, Keith, said they shot the first cub after it got in their coop and killed a chicken around 1 a.m. Wednesday. Sands said he didn't find any trash or other attractants — besides the chickens.

The second shooting on Friday happened in the same subdivision at David Hettick's property.

Hettick said the sow had chased him Monday but was distracted by his dog. On Friday, he shot her and the cub after they got into his chicken coop.

He described her as about 7 feet tall and said the cub weighed 200 pounds. Sands said the sow was fairly small and looked relatively young.

Hettick said the sow had chased someone else as they walked to a garbage can.

"Did not want to do it but she was going to get someone," he wrote in a message.

He shot the sow and one cub and killed them.

He shot at the other cub but there was no blood trail or other evidence it was hit or injured, Sands said.

He's asking anyone who sees the cub to call the Alaska Department of Fish and Game at 907-262-9368 or the Seward Alaska Wildlife Troopers office at 907-224-3935.

Word of the sow and cub's killing spread fast Friday night.

"We can finally breathe easy!" Corinne Danzl wrote in an email.

Another neighbor, however, posted on a Seward wildlife Facebook group that a different trio of "aggressive" bears damaged her property last weekend and that residents should remain alert.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They should have had sense enough to den up instead of raiding chicken coops.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Feed bag looked too good to leave...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Values systems..... I'd like to have pheasants or home grown chickens in Sterling for meat and fresh eggs. So much better than store- bought. But I don't because I have bears by and in my 1.6 acre lot on an almost daily basis in season.

I'd rather have the bears ( not as dangerous as moose in the yard- 28 years and running). I've never been charged or endangered by a yard bear. Not true several times over for moose.

I'd rather not be cleaning up chicken crap either. I've yet to find bear poop in the yard. I'm still looking for that lawn-dumping wolf to show up again, however.

Bears on the deck or in the back of my pickup were due to my mistakes - I ascribe bear problems in Seward to be the fault of human stupidity, twice over (keeping bait, unprotected) not an aberation of bear nature.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
well I"m not up there, but I'd think electric fences would be high on my list if I had livestock or such where bears were an issue.

I'm fairly sure an electric fence will be in play if we have a garden also...

Dang things work wonders down here at least for keeping cows out of things. I know, apples and persimmons....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
well I"m not up there, but I'd think electric fences would be high on my list if I had livestock or such where bears were an issue.

I'm fairly sure an electric fence will be in play if we have a garden also...

Dang things work wonders down here at least for keeping cows out of things. I know, apples and persimmons....

Apples you will be able to grow here... persimmons, not so much...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
get Jeff started on the rhubarb, Art!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kid0917
get Jeff started on the rhubarb, Art!

I don't know about... that's pretty good stuff to waste on Texans! wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You're welcome! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
You're welcome! wink

Are you giving me schit again?!?!

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Don't waste to much time .. We've never been keen on rhubarb...LOL.

Aspargus OTOH...

And I"m still smiling that raspberries from Nenana have not died yet in our heat.....but I"d rather be growing them in Sawmill Creek rather than in TX.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Then you have not had really good rhubarb...

It is not all woody and sour...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, I'll be looking forward to it then.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Electric fences apparently do not work well on some , possibly any moose. I heard from 2 different people that they tried it to keep moose out of their garden. When stung, moose react but not in reverse.

Last they saw of their fencing it was going thataway, same direction the moose was pointed at initial encounter.. Seemed likes good idea initially......

Last edited by las; 10/24/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting. Good thing we have a corral to work with for starters, was putting the fence on the outside of that as/if needed.

Cows seem to "smell" the fences especially after the first encounter. Bovine cows.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You and I will never agree on rhubarb. It is one thing I don't care for to any degree. Liver is another

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pak
You and I will never agree on rhubarb. It is one thing I don't care for to any degree. Liver is another

Were it not for your incredible cold-smoked salmon I would have to question your taste...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (007FJ, 160user, 163dm, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.