Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Purpose of the rifle will be limited to deer, elk, and antelope. If your recommendation is to build, please provide specifics

BP-B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I woud look for a Kimber 84L. About $1350, and as good as some customs. The sub-MOA guarantee seems to be good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, Sakos are very good. In fact one of the general trends in rifles as well as other products, such as optics, is less far less difference in performance between lower-priced products and what we've come to think of as top-of-the-line stuff, whether custom rifles or "alpha glass."

I really don't wanna sidetrack this thread, but every once in a great while you say something that provokes thought shocked

Thanks, I needed that grin

No seriously though JB, in ways, and I guess in general, I agree with that. But can think of plenty of exceptions also. I have old Weaver steel tube Micro Tracs here that are built like tanks and will out track and hold zero better than the vast majority of todays optics. And that isn't even close to a guess. Glass, strictly speaking, is definitely better overall today.

As for cheaper rifles, accuracy has undoubtedly increased overall. Without question. But often, a lot of the rest of the rifle leaves much to be desired IMO.

Just me thinking out loud. Would be a good thread to start. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like Tikka.They are hard to beat for accuracy,but alas they are not cheap anymore.I would spend the dough on a Sako or a Nosler Heritage 48.I have seen some with knockout wood.In fact is if I find one with good wood in 6.5 Creedmoor,it will probably be adopted.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd look for a used Colt Light Rifle, send it to Melvin Forbes for his NULA conversion and have it built to your specs. From my experience it's the best bang for your buck. You won't find a more consistently accurate rifle with any bullet that will be built to fit you like a glove, and carry like a dream.

Last edited by 444Matt; 10/20/16.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My step dad picked up a Montana in 280AI. Has shot all the form loads sub moa out to 375.

A lot of people have dislike for Montana's 280AI's and forming cases(shooting)though.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Weatherby Ultra Light

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really love the feel and function of my Sako Finnlights. Solid, accutate, and easy to carry.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm mighty proud you fellows like all the 'odd ball' rifles! I'll just stick with this:

[Linked Image]VS308 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Delivers 5 shot groups akin to this from 600 yards that I can cover with the knuckles of my fist:

[Linked Image]My 308 Winchester by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
Experience with best rifles, $1700 or less

Find yourself a nice used Remington KS Custom Shop rifle........you'll be able to find a very mint one for $1,700.

They are reasonably light, have good stocks & all the ones I've seen have been very accurate.

This a a 270 with a skeletonized bolt handle & a cerrokoted stock.....shoots bugholes.

MM

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few rifles in that range, some higher and some lower. My Pre-64 375 is very nice. But I don't think any rifle I've owned, shot or even looked at is better than my early 700 30-06 ADL with an after market Kevlar stock. The Walker trigger breaks at 2 lb 6 oz. The groups with hunting loads Hornady Interlocks or Nosler Partitions are less than 1/2 MOA. It still has a factory barrel. The rifle points like a shotgun. There's nothing about the rifle that I'd change. The stock cost more than the rest of the rifle. It wears a VX-2 2x7 scope. The scope perhaps could be improved, but it is perfect for me.

That rifle cost less than $1,000.

If the rifle were for Africa or for Kodiak, I might change my choice. But for deer, antelope and elk, none better.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Buy a Tikka, take the other $900 and pay on a hunting trip.
This

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I'm mighty proud you fellows like all the 'odd ball' rifles! I'll just stick with this:

[Linked Image]VS308 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Delivers 5 shot groups akin to this from 600 yards that I can cover with the knuckles of my fist:

[Linked Image]My 308 Winchester by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Talk about oddball....it's got the bolt handle on the wrong side!!!!

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Sakos are good rifles for under what you are talking about. I have a couple of buddies with Nolder rifles that are nice guns as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Buy a Tikka, take the other $900 and pay on a hunting trip.
This

No one should hunt with a rifle that ugly.........even if it's free. wink

MM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty large range, depends on what it is for. Rifles I have owned and would recommend in that price range; Steyr Pro Hunter and get a decent scope. Sako and need a scope. Sauer and have a little left over for a scope. CZ 550 and get a decent scope. Tikka T3 and get a really good scope.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'll give two examples.
1-Winchester Extreme 308 Winchester. Sell the original stock for $150-175. Buy a McMillan Hunters with Edge fill. Toss the original trigger spring and replace with an Ernie. Done.
2-Buy a pre 64 model 70 featherweight in 270 Winchester. Repeat the stock swap as described above. If needed send the rifle out for a trigger job. Good to go. Really done.
I've done the above as described several times and am happy with the results.

Q
QuQ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've had good luck with Nosler rifles, and if you total up their features it's hard to have a rifle built for the same price--especially if you want a walnut stock. The MSRP for the Heritage is a little more than $1700, but not much. However, whether they have the features YOU want is another question. If you're into something a little more, uh, modern then the Ruger Precision Rifle is a deal.

Haven't tried a Bergara, but have shot a couple rifles with Bergara barrels, which were pretty good.

I agree. Received my Nosler Heritage with wooden stock this week and it seems better built with much nicer wood than my Sako 85, which used to be my favorite rifle smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I would get a T3 Tikka and stick it in a McMillan Sako Hunter pattern stock, with Edge fill.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.