-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cookie used to work in a lab using some seriously stout centrifuges (like thousand pounders). It took several minutes for them to wind down when switched off. A coworker lifted the lid and peered into one as it was slowing. A wisp of her hair was caught, and exactly half of her hair was instantly ripped from her scalp. Skin and scalp remained intact, but one half of her head was literally bald.

Had things been going slower, any number of events could have transpired like: scalp or face ripped from her head, broken neck, face pulled into spinning glass tubes, etc. Cookie, who had hair down to her butt at the time, kept it up in Princess Leia buns thereafter. Machinery can bite, and at times bite really fast.

On the slow side, a local kid once had a portion of his jacket caught in a wheel line mover. In that case, he had a slow motion view of his arm being severed at the shoulder by the chain and mover gear. Picked up the arm and rode a 4-wheeler to HQ for help.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/24/16.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RWE
Next up:

The affects of unwaxed silverware on chapped lips...

It is always interesting to watch silverware express its emotions. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cra1948
I'm a journeyman tool and die maker. I first went to work in a machine shop in 1967, before my vacation in SEA. Came back, did my apprenticeship....

First thing I've always done after unlocking my tool chest is take off the wedding ring and put it in a drawer until the end of the shift. Around rotating spindles it's preferable to have a shop apron keeping your clothes flat and clean. Also, nothing below the elbows. Gloves around rotating spindle machinery are strictly a no no.

Most types of tool steels and other engineering materials aren't going to be damaged much by a gold or silver ring.

Just when you've thought you've heard everything....the Campfire never disappoints.

Most types of tool steels and other engineering materials aren't going to be damaged much by a gold or silver ring

That's what I'm puzzled about, the common sense of not wearing jewelry or loose clothes notwithstanding.
Is the OP talking about diamond rings, perchance ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a T&D but I do make my living on a lathe and mill. No rings, gloves, cuffs, etc.

As to rings damaging guns I personally like it when any tool picks up honest patina from use. Can't see a ring hurting the steel but it could certainly scratch a stock. Meh. Who cares.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There's a company called QALO marketing medical grade silicon rings for outdoor pursuits and they would likely work around machinery as well. They're supposed to stretch and/or break before they damage your finger. Haven't tried one myself, but it sounds interesting.

QALO wedding bands

You can even get one in camo. grin
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jds44; 10/24/16.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't be so hard on 99. He's just misconstrued his Pa's infamous Cawk Ring story.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jds44
There's a company called QALO marketing medical grade silicon rings for outdoor pursuits and they would likely work around machinery as well. They're supposed to stretch and/or break before they damage your finger. Haven't tried one myself, but it sounds interesting.

QALO wedding bands

You can even get one in camo. grin
[Linked Image]

Yes, but can you get one in pumpkin spice?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Have you noticed that tool & die makers don't wear rings.
Those who make and handle fine work don't wear rings that might mar it!

Neither my late dad who owned a tool & die shop nor the men who worked in his shop wore rings.

Yet some who handle firearms do!

this news just in, some people look both ways before crossing the street smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I possibly saved a customer's life one day, when I looked out of my office window and saw a salesman walking him through the fourslide department. If you're not familiar with them, fourslides usually have exposed shafts which turn as the machine runs. Yes the customer is getting an up-close look at the machine, with his tie dangling in the shafts. I ran out of the office yelling at them. The salesman was greatly embarrassed about it and never was very friendly to me thereafter. Oh well.

Had a friend in IT that worked at Caterpillar for many years. He told us that IT and mgmt guys had to wear ties, but it was also mandatory that the ties had been cut behind the neck and then sewn back together with only 2 threads allowed. That way if the idiot IT or management folks got their ties into the machinery it wouldn't kill 'em.

Struck me as pure stupidity...

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, such foolishness.

I made myself a ring in shop and about a month later it got snagged in the drill press on a bit shaving.
ZANG.
Close effing call that was, kind of bloody, and a life lesson about power tools.
And don't even THINK of asking me to wear a ring on a pendant chain around my neck! Another really bad idea.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Years ago there used to be a safety poster from the Naval Safety Center that showed a guys hand after he had all the flesh torn from his ring finger after it got caught on something. No skin, no muscle, no flesh or tendons...just bones. sick

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I could "Damage" with a ring in a tool and die shop, myself. crazy

WIERD, post, this one.

Oh, and for the OP,....If you're not being asked to don clean cotton gloves, it's NOT a "100% gun"

Gold rings will scratch D2 all to pieces. They tear up carbide even worse.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I could "Damage" with a ring in a tool and die shop, myself. crazy

WIERD, post, this one.

Oh, and for the OP,....If you're not being asked to don clean cotton gloves, it's NOT a "100% gun"

Gold rings will scratch D2 all to pieces. They tear up carbide even worse.

I'll remember that,

....might make up a 24 karat scraper for putting that final edge on reamers and drill bits.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

For sure!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Saw a guy smash his ring, in a machine shop. We unsmasked it enough to get off. There is a story around about finding a man strangled by his tie in a lathe. Woodward Governor used to require BOW ties for machinists. When I was about 4 I remember getting my knit sleeve in an old wood lathe I wasn't supposed to be messing with; took a long time to get unwound.

I can't wear my ring now as my fingers have arthritis and age. But I am still married without it. Been in machine shops and around construction all my life. No sense in ruining a good ring anyway. I don't think they can make a ring soft enough that I would want to wear it, even a paper ring would cut before it broke.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I took machine shop at a vocational high school, a long time ago, and one of the first things we were told was not to wear rings in the shop.
It has been a standard practice forever.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Have you noticed that tool & die makers don't wear rings.
Those who make and handle fine work don't wear rings that might mar it!

Neither my late dad who owned a tool & die shop nor the men who worked in his shop wore rings.

Yet some who handle firearms do!

Does this pertain to nipple rings?

Nipple rings are O.K.

Show'em if ya got'em!

NO PLEASE DONT!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Years ago there used to be a safety poster from the Naval Safety Center that showed a guys hand after he had all the flesh torn from his ring finger after it got caught on something. No skin, no muscle, no flesh or tendons...just bones. sick

Yep effective. After seeing that before I starting putting flight gear on my wedding ring went on my dogtag chain.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I wore my ring on a neck chain as well, no ring now so no chain.

Reminded me of a man I knew jumping into a dumpster to compact it a bit. He went in too far and too fast and his ring caught and tore his finger off.

A buddy carved a wooden finger for him from a broom handle while he was at the Hospital.

Glad they were good friends and nobody was hurt when he received his new wooden finger.

30+ years ago but I still wince thinking about that day.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mine is in the same box it came in , put there right after the wedding mass and before the reception, same as my dad's. Both of us apprenticed Toolmakers. Now I run the apprenticeship program and they are not allowed anything on their arms or hands.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.