Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I was in the USArmy I knew several guys who originally joined as infantry, arty, scouts, etc. and after they made E5 they reenlisted into another MOS. Some told me they made rank quicker in combat arms but got tired of being in the field all the time. I met very few who did 20 years in combat arms, I imagine most guys got tired of it after awhile. Any input?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was Infantry all the way, Airborne Infantry as a matter of fact. I saw many guys E-5 and above forced into Infantry as their career fields either had celings or not much chance (room) for advancement.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I got out in the early 90s I remember that a lot of MOS were over strength and some were given the option to go into another field, but most simply got out of the military.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just my observations. Promotions come much faster in the in Infantry. The only exception would be for cooks. Two fields that not everyone wants to do. Promotions in the MP Corp and enlisted Aviation are slow. Field duty MP's were in the field as much as the Infantry and got half the promotions. Of Course cooks were also out there as well.

Spending 20 years doing field exercises has to be tough. Congrats sbrmike for doing 20.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nothing personal to add to this but I can add my Dad's career.
He served 24 years in the US Army. After a short stint with the 101st Airborne, the rest of his time was spent in the 3rd and 5th Special Forces Group. He told me he retired only because he was tired of all the running and P.T. It took to maintain a proper soldier.

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Jericho
When I was in the USArmy I knew several guys who originally joined as infantry, arty, scouts, etc. and after they made E5 they reenlisted into another MOS. Some told me they made rank quicker in combat arms but got tired of being in the field all the time. I met very few who did 20 years in combat arms, I imagine most guys got tired of it after awhile. Any input?

Infantry is damned hard on your body. Trashed knees and trashed backs being pretty much a sure thing. Guys that did 20 years in the Infantry were physically a wreck by their late 30s/early 40s.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I did almost 21 years in Combat Arms. I would say the guys that stay in a Combat Arms job are just a little different then normal folks.
I can't say I remember a lot of people switching to a support MOS when I was a 19D (8 years), most just got out.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I did 25+ years as a Fire Support Man. That's an artillery MOS, basically an enlisted forward observer. Spend a lot of time living with the grunts, since that's who we supported.

When I called it quits I had surgery on a blown L4/L5, and bulged discs above and below that one. Reconstructed broken ankle, tinnitus, and a bad shoulder. Pretty much normal wear and tear. But promotions were generally good, made MGySgt (E9) in 21 years.

Along the way I did a couple gigs on Embassy Duty, and some instructor duty. About 4.5 years cumulative in hostile territory in El Salvador, Croatia, Egypt, Persian Gulf and Iraq.

All in all, a great experience.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
From what I've seen, once they are planning on retiring there are two goals. First, is to get an MOS they can sell better, (ie, radiology technician, etc) and the other thing is to get a medical retirement. It can add substantially to the retirement.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know how some guys do it if they don't make E8. Being in a line platoon on field problems tripping over logs in the dark with a heavy ruck plus Friday ruck marches and brutal puke your gut runs adds up.

I had an E6 who was a good guy but slowing down. I talked to BN and got him transferred to the S4 shop where he was just peachy. Worked hard but didn't have a ruck killing his knees. I dropped by often for favors when I needed extras.:-)

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by Jericho

Infantry is damned hard on your body. Trashed knees and trashed backs being pretty much a sure thing. Guys that did 20 years in the Infantry were physically a wreck by their late 30s/early 40s.

I started at 29 years old and made seven years before the body wear and tear affected me. I managed to hang awhile but I got out during the RIFs for the "Peace Dividend". Hadn't seen the wife in two years because of BRAC and it was too late when I got home(less). I miss the field but, of course, not being frozen, exhausted, panting from heat exhaustion, or being 2000-3000-whatever miles from home. If I had one left.

In a good unit, with good Leaders, you don't get tired of "it" as you would in hellish units. But you have to be at the top of your physical game to contribute, or else you are a liability to other good Soldiers.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
20 years in the Marine Corps has done a number on me. That is for sure. Though, I could not imagine a better way to spend those years. To me, it was worth every minute.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was thinking about a soldier I knew my first year in and if I remember correctly he switched over from pathfinder to tech supply and couldnt accept the laxed life of being in a maintenance unit. He requested to go back to his old MOS and it didnt happen, he was discharged in less than a year.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.