Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking for one that can range a deer at least 600 yards, what say you?

Tracy

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sig Kilo 2000 for under $400 if you shop around.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Vortex rangefinders are the only ones guaranteed for life... electronics, too. They are not the best, but very serviceable, and forever...

The Sig Kilo had everyone bragging on them early on, but they have turned out to have a very high failure rate.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tough to beat this for the money.
Vortex at Cameraland

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Vortex rangefinders are the only ones guaranteed for life... electronics, too. They are not the best, but very serviceable, and forever...

The Sig Kilo had everyone bragging on them early on, but they have turned out to have a very high failure rate.

I gust read that the Sig Kilo has a 5 YEAR WARRANTY
(Electronic Component Limited 5 Year Warranty) Covers any defects in materials and workmanship in the electronic and Tritium components of illuminated riflescopes/sights, pistol sights, electronic sights, flashlights, lasers, binoculars, spotting scopes and rangefinders for five years from date of manufacture.

Also: INFINITE GUARANTEE
SIG SAUER Electro-Optics are guaranteed forever. It's an unlimited lifetime guarantee.

-Unlimited Lifetime Guarantee
-Fully Transferable
-No Warranty Card Required
-No Receipt Required
-No Time Limit Applies
-No Charge

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy

(Electronic Component Limited 5 Year Warranty) Covers any defects in materials and workmanship in the electronic and Tritium components of illuminated riflescopes/sights, pistol sights, electronic sights, flashlights, lasers, binoculars, spotting scopes and rangefinders for five years from date of manufacture.

SIG SAUER Electro-Optics are guaranteed forever. It's an unlimited lifetime guarantee.

-Fully Transferable
-No Receipt Required
-No Time Limit Applies
-No Charge

To be clear... what I tried to say is Vortex is the only company with a lifetime warranty on the electronics in their rangefinder...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Vortex Rangefinder does better than many of the others in inclement ranging conditions. It will range when leica and zeiss will not in spin drift conditions north side of the Brooks Range when caribou hunting in pipeline corridor.

Lifetime warranty and the quality of the durability of the Ranger construction make it imho the solid choice.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am curious as the the "high failure rate" of the Sig...we have several in our circle of shooters, and not a one has had an issue. Its performance is so far above the Vortex offerings, even with the poorer warranty, its worth it. My Bushnell 1 Mile struggle to keep up with the Kilo...but holds its own. Had the Kilo been out when I bought my Bushnell, it would have easily gotten the nod.

As for the Vortex, I have not had a chance to use one of the newest ones...but every one I have used was largely unimpressive. When my Bushnell 1 Mile gives up the ghost..the Vortex would not get a chance to replace it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a Leica crf1000r and love it. I've seen a few in various classifieds for nice deals. One on certain site for $360

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy

-Fully Transferable
-No Receipt Required
-No Time Limit Applies
-No Charge

To be clear... what I tried to say is Vortex is the only company with a lifetime warranty on the electronics in their rangefinder...

5 year warranty on the electronics is not bad, by then there will be something better with a lower price point. Every thing I read about the Vortex is that there slow

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My son has one and several friends have them... they are not noticeably slower than other glass when comparing them to Geovids and the Leica 1200 pre-scan models in terms of getting a quick range number...

Not saying they are as good, just that they are fully-functional at getting the job done. You can buy better now, but you will not buy better at the price point any time soon.

In five years they will still be worth something because of the warranty.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The Ranger 1500 is fast. I have a pair of 10X42 Geovids. SW had a special on them and I got a pair and I talked Randy in to getting a pair too. They are great for sheep/goat hunting but they don't work as well as the Vortex in spindrift such as found on North side of Brooks Range.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They must've updated the Ranger 1000 too. When I tested one out in the store a few years ago it was really slow and I hated the 3 button presses required to range. Before I bought mine I tested it out again in the store and the newer version is just as fast or faster than the [bleep] Leupold Rx800 I mistakenly bought and returned. 2 buttons to get a reading, 1 to turn it on and 1 to range. The optics between the Vortex & Leupold aren't even comparable, granted the Leupold is at a different pricepoint.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought a Leupold 1000 about 4 years ago and recently got a 1200. They work very well for me.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by longbarrel
I bought a Leupold 1000 about 4 years ago and recently got a 1200. They work very well for me.

I remember testing the RX1200 out in the store a couple years ago and actually liked it better than the Vortex at the time. I only chose the Vortex for 2 reasons over the RX1200, it was on sale for about $50 less, and it has a lifetime no questions asked warranty including the electronics.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I am curious as the the "high failure rate" of the Sig...we have several in our circle of shooters, and not a one has had an issue. Its performance is so far above the Vortex offerings, even with the poorer warranty, its worth it. My Bushnell 1 Mile struggle to keep up with the Kilo...but holds its own. Had the Kilo been out when I bought my Bushnell, it would have easily gotten the nod.

As for the Vortex, I have not had a chance to use one of the newest ones...but every one I have used was largely unimpressive. When my Bushnell 1 Mile gives up the ghost..the Vortex would not get a chance to replace it.

The return rate was so great this spring/summer Sig plumb ran out of replacements and some guys were wating 4-8 weeks for a new one.

Was at the range two weekends ago. Guy next to me had received his replacement kilo 2000 in late August (said he waited 7 weeks), and said he helped his son kill a Sept early season buck with it. It quit working while he was showing me how it worked. First it wouldn't range beyond 300yds, then it quit working all together, then it wouldn't even turn on. Not even a new battery would get it running. Needless to say he was pizzed, because he was headed out for an elk hunt in a few days.

I was just about to buy one when I started reading about failures early this summer.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just got a Sig Kilo 850 for under $150 from Cabelas. For the price I'm very impressed with it so far. I ranged a deer at over 600 last week. The farthest I've gotten so far was over 950 yards on a pretty reflective target.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by liliysdad

The return rate was so great this spring/summer Sig plumb ran out of replacements and some guys were wating 4-8 weeks for a new one.

Was at the range two weekends ago. Guy next to me had received his replacement kilo 2000 in late August (said he waited 7 weeks), and said he helped his son kill a Sept early season buck with it. It quit working while he was showing me how it worked. First it wouldn't range beyond 300yds, then it quit working all together, then it wouldn't even turn on. Not even a new battery would get it running. Needless to say he was pizzed, because he was headed out for an elk hunt in a few days.

I was just about to buy one when I started reading about failures early this summer.

Casey

Same thing I have been hearing... incredible when they work...

Double entendre intended.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Took the Sig 2000 leap today for $399 and no wait- no SWFA Backorder Bull either mad Can be had a bit cheaper lately but I definately wanted a fresh NIB unit form a high volume retailer...

Tried it side by side with a Vortex 1500 and went with the one that worked the best with much less eye fatigue. But longest target available was a blue building at 850 and they both did it. The Sig is very fast and I like the auto brightness feature. Do like the cross reticle in the Vortex better, but it is what it is.

Did a little drive, mid-day fairly bright out. Hit single mule deer at 650 easy. 750 not too bad... At 900+ hitting deer was spotty. Didn't have any at 800ish. Brush at 1200-1300 wham bamm... 1500 fairly ok... 1600 to 1700 spotty. Reflective, well if I am ever out hunting silver horse trailers - 2400 is doable. House hunting at 1900-2100... Main thing I learned today - I am much better off with the gadget than my guesses!

Summer 2015 I had a Ranger 1000 side by side with a Bushnell Elite 1-mile and the Bushnell stomped it. Except for the extreme long ranges I think, if my memory serves, the Bushnell is very competitive with the Sig under 1300 on brush... It never got over 1650 on anything with the 1-mile. Maybe a steadier style too but I did not like how big it was for field use.

Fingers crossed the funky Sigs have made it through the system LOL.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Took the Sig 2000 leap today for $399 and no wait- no SWFA Backorder Bull either mad Can be had a bit cheaper lately but I definately wanted a fresh NIB unit form a high volume retailer...

I know, it is sooo tempting.

I considered the Bushnell Elite, Leup RX 1200, the Vortex 1500, and the Sig 2000.

I had the money, was ready to buy the Sig. But As I have learned with optics, warranty service is very important. Add in electronics and it may be even more so. Sig seems to be honoring their warranty though.

But that Vortex lifetime no fault warranty is looking mighty good.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 73 invisible), 3,122 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.