Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
True, most of the arguments on 24hcf are composed of "my opinion is better than your opinion."

Seems like most responders here gave their opinion and then walked away. A few didn't and are arguing opinions.

So here's a little secret of human nature. A man who is secure is his position will state it and walk away. The more insecure someone is about their position or beliefs the more vehemently they will argue to defend that position. Those in the middle of an argument will deny this to Kingdom come, but folks don't argue to convince the other person as much as they argue to try to convince themselves.

He said, after stating his opinion and walking away... wink

^^^ +1

Though sometimes I may fall into the insecure crowd. To me it's like arguing politics or the benefits of cannabis (which acquaintances like to bring up).

I like my old Remington's, my old Winchester's, Springfield's and my M1 Garand.

Accuracy is important but not all-important. The rifle I dislike the most is my 783. If accuracy was everything, I'd like it. But that is about all I like about it. The Mauser 98's and Springfield's are hard to beat for smooth functioning and for reloading etc. If it were just for accuracy they would still be OK, but they would not be the best.

I dislike almost all factory plastic stocks, though I've added Kevlar stocks to a few rifles.

The only triggers I really do not like are the ones with a second metallic piece hanging down to 'set' the trigger (such as the 783, the American and the Savage rifles)

Oh yes, I like my wife's left handed wooden stocked Tikka.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have an older 595 Whitetail Hunter in 280 that has a really nice piece of wood on it. Great trigger and shoots better than I can. Haven't owned a newer model.

`Bring Enough Gun`
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Originally Posted by DELGUE
Speaking of Tikka experiences, I posit a question:

I wouldn't mind getting a Tikka in 6.5x55 or 260. I shoot lefty, and the only ones I see are the Hunter models with the wood stocks. I'd prefer a synthetic stock.

Will the Hunter model barreled actions fit in a regular T3 Lite or T3X Lite stock? And does Tikka or Beretta sell the T3X stocks separately?

Thanks for any help.

They do sell them, I think through Brownells. They're VERY proud of them. If I was to pay that much, I'd look at B&C, Manners, or McMillan.

You can generally pick up a used take off for $50-$100 in the classified.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This thread convinced me I needed a soulless rifle. Picked up a 308 yesterday.

First impressions are it's bad ass.

[Linked Image]

Scott
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice Scott.... I've worked with at least a half-dozen CTRs.... they're easily the most accurate factory guns I've ever seen.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Never owned a Tikka, but have many Sako's. They are my favorite rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My T3 Hunter (5.5X55) had its stock interior waterproofed by the gunsmith who sold it to me. I'll admit I don't live in an especially wet region, but it has never been a problem.
And yes, it's very accurate.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I ran a CTR in 308 at the GAP Grind two weeks ago. It more than held its own against some serious race guns out there, outshooting 3/4's of the amateur division. I was hindered more by the 308 caliber than anything else. Past 500 yards it just got bucked around more than the 6mm and 6.5 guys.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
To the OP:

If the asthetics of the rifle are fine with you, you'll most likely like the rifle. I think most of the complaints are about things that really don't affect function to any reasonable extent. In the most important areas to me, (good accuracy with a majority of loads, reliability, and durability) I've found the Tikka is hard to beat. I've had and have a lot of different rifles, but the Tikka SL 30-06 has become my go-to, hands down. They're great out-of-the-box user rifles that generally don't have to be tinkered with and I don't worry about keeping "nice" when hunting in places that are tough on "pretty" rifles, which is pretty much the norm where I am.

As an aside, they're also the only rifles I've loaded for (four different Tikkas for myself and others) that would consistently shoot 30 cal. 150 E-Tips sub MOA, and that was with a load work up of exactly one load. I've worked with that bullet in at least five other rifles with a lot of different loads, and never got consistent results from it in any single rifle, let alone four rifles with one load.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thought I would share my most recent experience with a new Tikka T3X in 308, this morning as a matter of fact!

I am a southpaw thus stainless synthetic guns are harder to come by. My only S/S rifle for many years was a Rem 700 stainless in a Mickey stock, 300 WM. Then I picked up a used T3 Lite in 270 Win and WOW, an excellent shooter. Found another T3 Lite in 243 and again an excellent shooter.

Fast forward to this summer when I won a raffle for a rifle, $800 towards any gun of my choice. Since my current 308 is a Rem 700 blued gun with a synthetic stock I thought a new T3X Lite in 308 was my calling.

So after shortening the stock to my LOP, reshaping the butt pad to fit and putting a custom brown paint job with black, silver and gold webbing it was time to try her out. I mounted a 2.5x8 Leupold, bore sighted and went to town!

First load after dialing it in was 3/4 inch with 180 Sierra handloads. Then I stepped down to some 165 Hornady, gun did not like those with groups around 2 inches. Next up were some 150 grain old style Speer GS, again about 2 inches. I was a bit disappointed.

Then I tried some Nosler 150 PT's and the WOW factor was back with groups once again under 3/4 inches. Then my last load was some Hornady 150 SST loads and I was rewarded with 3 shot clusters touching most of the time.

So I am a happy camper as the 150 Nosler PT does very well and should handle any hunting I want to do with a 308!

Guess I am at odds on opinion with 2muchgun as I like Tikka's and Leupold 2.5x8 scopes.....lol....

Just wanted to add that NONE of these loads were worked up for this rifle but were simply loads I had on hand for the Rem 700 mentioned. I very seldom load for maximum anymore. All these loads were about 2 grains under max for the 700 and none exhibited any pressure signs in the Tikka.

Last edited by TwoTrax; 10/24/16.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Perfect timing.
My grandson is a south paw and I want to get him a 243 synthetic stainless. It seems Tikka/ American are the only options, and the American has a 12.5" lop if I get the compact, 18" barrel version.

Curious how easy it was to shorten the LOP on the Tikka, and what is the new LOP? I would want to start at 12.5" for now, but probably need a spacer in 5 or so years.

BTW, The tikka looks to be $200 more than the Ruger American.

Thanks

Allen

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
At $200 more, it's a bargain.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My LOP is 13 1/4 inches. It was not hard, standard cut for the stock. I cut it close with a band saw and finish it with a disc sander. I wanted to use the stock pad as it is a pretty good one. Had to get a bit creative there and sand the lip off the pad where it goes against the stock. Have to be careful sanding the pad when finishing as the rubber is pretty soft.

I am no expert but it came out really nice and took me about 2 hours from start to finish.

Painted it after the stock work with Krylon Fusion paint, added the webbing. You then have to wait 7 days to clear it.

Now that all said, you are talking another 3/4 inch. I am not certain that is doable. I am leaving now for a funeral in Ohio, more later.

Last edited by TwoTrax; 10/24/16.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just a followup on the T3X stock. You are talking about another 3/4 inch from what I did. There is one thing that concerns me.

After cutting the stock and modifying the buttplate, while checking for fit I noted I could not get the screws for the buttplate all the way in. My initial fix was to simply drill the holes where they screw in a bit deeper, but something in there was hard and resistant to my drill, I was expecting soft plastic. So I ceased with that idea, only needed about 1/8 inch, so I simply shortened the screws and that worked perfectly.

So I am unsure of what lies deeper in those channels that are used to hold the screws for the buttplate, maybe some kind of metal for reinforcement? Just suggest that you proceed with caution and be aware of what I noted.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thank you for the additional information.

Allen

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I pickup a Tikka T3x SS in .308 win. Much to my surprise the new T3x DONOT come with scope rings like the older T3. Had I known that I would have order rings when I ordered the scope. Still a good gun. Fortunately I had scope rings left over from my T3 .223 Varmint gun that I can used until another order is placed with Midway.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.