Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Most people, myself included, were taught the weaker form of tying the basic shoe lace knot. I ran across this a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by LostHighway; 10/24/16.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I discovered that way to tie my shoes decades ago. I never knew the method could be turned into a TED Talk.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The intellectually challenged children here are taught to take the bow through twice...a mate's wife put me on to it some thirty years ago and it stops the laces loosening.

Not sure if she took pity on me or thought I was one of her charges.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a "quail hunters tie" on lace up boots or shoes, double the lace and push partway thru each top hole. Then run the left lace thru the loop on the right side hole and do the opposite for the other side.

Once you tie them this way one time, you can cut off a bunch of each lace.

This knot cannot come untied because it is not really a knot.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART

The intellectually challenged children here are taught to take the bow through twice...a mate's wife put me on to it some thirty years ago and it stops the laces loosening.

Not sure if she took pity on me or thought I was one of her charges.

^ This. And if you do the same with the initial knot, it holds itself tight while you do the bow. No need to hold it in place. I learned that as an adult, but taught it to my kids. You never see members of my family stopping to tie a shoe.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just throw another overhand with the bunny ears. Some call it double knotting. They don't come untied that way. Ever.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just want to know how we get teenagers to wear belts that will hold up their pants?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I just want to know how we get teenagers to wear belts that will hold up their pants?

Well...here they just use tracky daks (track pants) in winter.

Official Australian winter dress when coupled with ugg boots, or thongs.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have a bunch of Old People tell them how they used to wear the baggy pants back in the day and how it's so cool the the style has come back.

Since the whole thing is about rebellion, if we say how much we like it.....

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You want to talk about an incredibly silly look then look no further than that idiotic long pointy shoe thing currently in vogue in our cities.

Silly buggers think they are Mexicans with a toe fetish.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This is why some shoes have velcro.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
I discovered that way to tie my shoes decades ago. I never knew the method could be turned into a TED Talk.

Steve.

Way, way back (50 years ago) I realized that the standard shoe lace knot is basically a granny knot and that reversing the turn part of the tying sequence makes it a square knot, which is much stronger.

I've taught my wife, kids etc. and am sure that a good many others have figured out the same. We weren't smart enough to publicize it. Good for the TED man!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow! Turns out I've been correct all a long.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Have a bunch of Old People tell them how they used to wear the baggy pants back in the day and how it's so cool the the style has come back.

Since the whole thing is about rebellion, if we say how much we like it.....

If only a few old folks tell they they like saggy pants, they will see the oldies as unregenerate hippy, rebels like themselves. For them to stop, everyone needs to tell them how good it looks. But then, will they turn to something worse than saggy pants?

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We just watched this video. My wife sitting behind me on her computer turned to watch, then said, "I've been doing it that way all along, because I am left handed."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't help laughing out loud at Negros I see standing on the corner with trousers near knee level and holding on to their crank like someone may try to snatch it.

Clueless Democrats..

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That guy looks just like Johnny B. I didn't know he was doing TEDS talks nowadays.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I once agreed to do a rockclimb w/ a friend of a friend who testified to his competence. As we hiked in to the base of the climb he had to stop for a 3rd time to retie his shoes.

At this point I decided that perhaps someone incapable of tying his shoes in a competent manner perhaps may not be a person to trust setting anchors or belaying. When I told him that I wasn't into climbing that day and was going to bail he replied that he was glad because he had done a hit of LSD the night before and was feeling a little drifty.

When I later confronted my friend about his judgement he told me that I was too judgemental and that the doper could do 100 pullups in 2 minutes! Climbing isn't dangerous, bad partners are dangerous.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.