Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have an old Remington Sportsman 48 in 20 gauge. Plain barrel. Silver bead front sight. The shotgun was my father's sole long gun for 40+ years. I am interested in doing a little "tweaking" and putting it back in service. Two tweaks off the top of my head:

1) Thinking about putting a fiber optic front bead on it. Easier for my old eyes to pick up.
2) Sending it to Robar for Rogard + NP3. Just because I sometimes tend to hunt in some nasty weather and don't intend to come home out of the rain.

Might consider a set of choke tubes, but not sure if there is enough metal to do that. Muzzle 0.724" OD and 0.600" ID. Would also be happy to leave the stock barrel as is, IF, I could find a replacement or aftermarket barrel for it. But, my meager Google Foo skills, I couldn't find any. Questions to the 'Fire:

1) Any sources for replacement or aftermarket barrels for this shotgun ? Possibly already set up with fiber optic front bead and choke tubes ?
2) I "think" front beads are relatively easy. But, not interested in screwing it up with a DIY job. Any recommendations ? Someone here on the 'Fire would be preferred...

Thank you !

P.S. Yeah, I know I am talking more money than the shotgun is worth. That's not the point...

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey, I've got a 30" barrel for an 11-48, and from what I can find the 48 and 11-48 use the same barrel. If you can use it, I'd sell it to ya for $65 shipped.

That way, you could keep your other barrel original and make the changes you want to this one.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you have to have a fiber optic front-it may help, or may cause things to be worse if you look at it-but it's your choice, then there is the "Easy hit shotgun sight" by Champion. Glues on, works as good as any and not expensive.

http://www.championtarget.com/shooting_gear/easyhit.aspx

Briley can install "thin wall" chokes. Kinda expensive.

Last edited by battue; 09/27/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just realized the sight may not stay on a convex surface. Raybar sight may be a better option. Again inexpensive.

Last edited by battue; 09/27/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by battue
Just realized the sight may not stay on a convex surface. Raybar sight may be a better option. Again inexpensive.

I appreciate the input. I used a Champion sight on a Benelli with a vent rib one time when I was having issues. Eventually figured out that an aftermarket choke tube was throwing the pattern significantly to the left. Went back to a factory choke tube and suddenly the OEM bead was right on.

Cross eye dominance sucks for shotgunning. However, do not spend enough time hunting with a shotgun to want to invest the time and effort to unlearn 50 years of muscle memory to shoot shotguns properly with the dominant eye.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd keep the old shotgun in exactly the same condition that dad used it and hunt it when I wanted or the weather was suitable. If you want a weather proof gun, buy a modern synthetic stocked/camo dipped shotgun and go sit in the rain with it. The cost probably works out the same depending upon the modern gun you choose. And now you have preserved dads heritage plus you now have a second gun. Two guns are better than one and you didn't screw up your dads gun as a huge bonus.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by MOGC
I'd keep the old shotgun in exactly the same condition that dad used it and hunt it when I wanted or the weather was suitable. If you want a weather proof gun, buy a modern synthetic stocked/camo dipped shotgun and go sit in the rain with it. The cost probably works out the same depending upon the modern gun you choose. And now you have preserved dads heritage plus you now have a second gun. Two guns are better than one and you didn't screw up your dads gun as a huge bonus.

Understood. Have had that thought as well. Have a LH Benelli SBE for the "2 inches of rain in the duck blind" days. Over the years, I went from all wood stocks/furniture to all synthetic. Now as I am ramping down, I am gradually working back around to one synthetic and one nice wood outfit for each purpose. I am thinking that the 12ga Benelli and the 20ga '48 will be a complimentary pairing for anything that I will ever hunt with a shotgun. Appreciate the input...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My Grandfather left me his guns when he passed away. One is a 16 gauge 11/48 that was outfitted with a poly choke. The gun will only cycle with heavy 16 gauge loads. Thinking that the extra mass of the poly choke might be hindering the operation I bought a plain full choke barrel. (Way, way more than $65.00 by the way.) The replacement barrel didn't help though so I've been toying with the idea of carefully reaming the friction ring or removing it altogether. You should make sure that your 20 cycles with different loads before you decide what part it will play in your shotgun battery. Since I won't shoot steel through mine ducks are out of the question. I use it once in awhile for late season pheasants. Wishing you all the best with yours. Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The original front sight is not that easy to change out on that vintage Remington shotgun. The sight is inserted from the back side of the base, not screwed in, then the base is silver soldered to the barrel. You can remove the sight and base then cover the soldered area with another screw on base. If you just screw another sight onto the barrel after removing the sight and base, it will change the point of impact.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
My Grandfather left me his guns when he passed away. One is a 16 gauge 11/48 that was outfitted with a poly choke. The gun will only cycle with heavy 16 gauge loads. Thinking that the extra mass of the poly choke might be hindering the operation I bought a plain full choke barrel. (Way, way more than $65.00 by the way.) The replacement barrel didn't help though so I've been toying with the idea of carefully reaming the friction ring or removing it altogether. You should make sure that your 20 cycles with different loads before you decide what part it will play in your shotgun battery. Since I won't shoot steel through mine ducks are out of the question. I use it once in awhile for late season pheasants. Wishing you all the best with yours. Mike

Mike
I bought a 11-48 in 16ga with the Poly choke on a 26in Barrel. Mine cycles everything from Game loads to buckshot without an issue. However soon after I got it I was getting Light strikes on shells and poor ejection. I took it home and did a detailed cleaning on it. I found what I would guess was the better part of 50+yrs of crude in the receiver. Once I cleaned that out everything was gravy and as I said it cycles everything in any weather. Also I had the same thing on a friends Savage production A-5 16ga. Cleaning it also did the trick.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Orion:
Look at the light/heavy load adjustment for Browning A-5 on google.

I think that you move the friction ring to the rear of the mag tube for light loads. I believe the Remington 48 is also a long recoil design like the A-5. You might be able to get an 48 factory manual reprint to confirm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
choke tubes, think Mike Orlin

Hi-Viz sight, don't do it. Look at the bird and only the bird.

What is it choked now? Have you shot it as is to see how it works?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been collecting some vintage shotguns recently. I can not visually appreciate a new age coating on an old gun, it just looks wrong.

Tell me a Robar finish would improve this gun:
[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
super, nice looking old gun, what make??

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It says Ranger on it but it is a Stevens 520 hump back. A JMB design. It shoots very well. I chopped the 30" barrel and added that front sight. The other cool thing it does:

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 36 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.