Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I went to the range yesterday as a formality to make sure my go-to deer rifle was still putting them where it is supposed to. I hadn't shot the gun since Feb as it is generally too warm here in the spring/summer to make shooting enjoyable and this particular gun is boringly consistent. The gun is a SS Win Model 70 Classic 270 WSM in a Bansner stock with a VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS scope. Admittedly the gun had been bounced around a bit since its last range session but I used it between Oct and Feb last season to take 8 different animals from 80 to 300+ yards and it always hit exactly where I aimed it.

Yesterday I shot 3 different loads through this rifle that are known MOA or sub-MOA performers. All three produced ugly triangular "patterns" in the 2.5-2.75" range (3 shot groups as any more seemed like a waste). I double checked the mounts and the stock screws as well as the CDS setting etc. The focus ring was slightly loose but everything else checked out. As I was packing up to go home I recalled that I had a 4th ammo type with me that had never shot well in this gun (3" or > groups) so I figured why not. The first 3 shots with this ammo went into a neat cloverleaf. I adjusted the scope to bring the POA to the desired spot and shot another tight group so the scope seems to be fine.

This rifle has never dropped off in accuracy like this from a "dirty" barrel before but is it possible that it reached the tipping point for all 3 types of proven bullet/load? Why did the 140 TSX that had always shot terribly in this gun now decide to shoot .5" groups? Is it possible that some bullets perform this much better due to a dirty barrel? I would estimate that the gun only had 15 rounds down the tube since its last cleaning before the range sessios and it has never been finicky before.

I cleaned the gun last night and it didn't appear to be any more dirty than normal. There wasn't noticeable copper fouling and the carbon etc. cleaned right up with some wipeout. My plan going forward is to shoot it again to see if the clean barrel produces the normal results w? Accubonds. If not I'll get it good and dirty and see if the TSX's will shoot again.

Am I missing something here or have you guys seen similar in your guns? I was suspecting dirty barrel or possible crown issue until the TSX's decided to go .5 MOA - now I'm just kind of stumped.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Probably a combination of a few things. You being a touch rusty, the gun being a little copper fouled, the scope could be going a little awry (It does happen), who knows? I'm not understanding the "checked mounts" though. Those things should be loc-tited down and never touched again, unless you are changing them out for something better...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"The focus ring was a little loose"

The ocular was probably flopping around a lot more than you realized.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I cleaned the gun last night and it didn't appear to be any more dirty than normal.

^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

I've had a few guns that took 10 or 12 shots to start grouping again after a good cleaning. Try your old loads again and see how it works out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wood stock?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He cleaned the gun AFTER he shot it. I vote floppy ocular.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The stock is one of the Bansner/Hi-tech synthetics.

I'm hoping the ocular was the issue - I'm not a big fan of Leupold from that aspect. The tight groups with the TSX didn't happen until after I tightened that up. Will shoot it again soon and see how it goes next time. I'm hoping to use the proven 140 Accubond load on my ND & MT deer hunt next month. If all else fails I'll use one of my other rifles. I have a 30-06 that needs to get bloody and a 25-06 that has been "lucky" in limited use in the past.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yes, floppy ocular.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Hey guys,

Just wanted to report back that the loose ocular tightening ring may have been the culprit. I shot the rifle again and after some fouling shots it was acting like its normal self again. The only exception was that it still liked the TSX loads after the cleaning - go figure!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've rarely seen fouling to normal take more than 2-3 shots. Generally.

But you found the problem and that would have been my first guess.

Guns generally can go hundreds of rounds without cleaning. We shot important to us matches, IE nationals, and would go 500 rounds without cleaning.... and still easily capable of winning.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that if we were honest many of us would say that we come away from most range sessions with more questions than we do answers.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by strosfann
Hey guys,

Just wanted to report back that the loose ocular tightening ring may have been the culprit. I shot the rifle again and after some fouling shots it was acting like its normal self again. The only exception was that it still liked the TSX loads after the cleaning - go figure!

A likely really stupid question: how much can an ocular 'flop around'? I loosened the retainer ring on a Leupold last night and wiggled the ocular. Movement was barely perceptible. In fact the retainer ring was loose on a couple of rifles. I've always tightened them up when I see it but can't ever say my groups were wrecked - at least to my knowledge. I'm curious if others have noticed this phenomenon.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I'm gonna check mine

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I think that if we were honest many of us would say that we come away from most range sessions with more questions than we do answers.

The more I shoot, the less I know wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by 5sdad

The more I shoot, the less I know wink

Amen and Amen!

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is it OK to loctite the Ocular with the Red removable type?

My shooting varies so much I seldom trust a single session. It can come down to something as minor as having an extra cup of coffee before I shoot.

Just had a rifle get knocked out of adjustment from riding on the back of a four wheeler. Tested at camp and only slightly off at 25. Re-tested at the range at 100 and it was a foot left and 6 low. Enough to completely miss a deer or Javelina.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Tejano
Is it OK to loctite the Ocular with the Red removable type?

Blue Loctite (#242 or 243) is generally the removable type, although a few of the red versions are too. Careful with red though, most of those are permanent.

It's a fair question though, and I've considered doing that myself. If you try it - just a lil dab'll do ya.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 260madman, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 37 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,390
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.