Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JTC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Effective this week I have retired as historian for Savage, Steven and A.H. Fox. Thank you all for your inquiries over the years. I am pleased to have gotten to know many of you at Fests or personally.

Going forward, you will be able to continue to have your Savage firearms researched. The records are going back to Savage and you may send your inquiries to Savage Arms, Historical Information, 100 Springdale Rd., Westfield, MA. 01085

Signing off and Thank you. John T. Callahan

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enjoy your retirement. Did you also cover the Sterlingworth line for A.H. Fox? I have one myself.(12ga. SxS)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My thanks for all that you have contributed to the fans of Savage arms. I have not been here as long as a lot of the group but your dedication has not gone unnoticed. Safe journeys.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sorry to see you John hope you enjoy your extra time.

Best Doug

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Special thanks for all the great information that you have provided over the years.
BillR

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Your personal touch will be missed, enjoy Your well-earned quiet!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enjoy your retirement!

I knew I should have sent for those last letters. Will miss having you drop in with pearls of Savage history. Maybe you can still do that from time to time?

Is today your last day? When will Savage be up and running to provide letters? I'm guessing that the only info will be what they can copy from the records...so sad.

Thinking of doing any publishing?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sad to see you go. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank for for your patience over the years. The information you have shared with me has contributed greatly to what I now look for in a Savage rifle. This is certainly the end of an era for me. I can't thank you enough for selling me the Sterlingworth 45-70 double rifle, and providing me with the history behind it. Please stay in touch.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't be a stranger here, and as others have said, thank you for the education you've provided over the years!

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mr. Callahan: something tells me that you will be busier after retirement. I had the pleasure of meeting you at the plant in Westfield - years ago. I was introduced to you by Effie in product service and I was at Savage for factory training. You helped me on a 99 receiver. Enjoy your retirement! Mel Chung from Hawaii.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
John its been Great to have Know and met you at the Fests! Enjoy your retirement! I have kept the notes, from you sent with my Letters! Knew I should have gotten my 22HP lettered! Take care Friend! John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thank you John, you made an honest gal out of my Malcolm scoped H. It was nice to learn Bubba never touched her, and thanks for passing the Sterlingworth on to LBK. He shared his visit with you and pics of the 45-70. Beautiful gun. Thanks again, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Thank you John, you made an honest gal out of my Malcolm scoped H. It was nice to learn Bubba never touched her, and thanks for passing the Sterlingworth on to LBK. He shared his visit with you and pics of the 45-70. Beautiful gun. Thanks again, Joe.

Yeah, Joe. This is another one I waited quite a spell to acquire. Patience and perseverance pays off. It IS a fun gun to shoot and has what I consider a GREAT history.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/9718602/Seems_like_a_great_deal_O/T._W

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for all your help with the Savage 22 slide actions John, particularly the 1909's.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you John for your service to us collectors, I really appreciated the extra effort you often put into your replies to my inquiries on early Savage 22 rifles, I know it was not the area you were most familiar with. The information I have gotten from you over the years has been a great help (and often, when opening your letter and finding extras, a big surprise).

Gene
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, this is a sad day for most of us, but hopefully heralds good changes for you. I've got half a dozen rifles that I never got around to lettering and now I'm going to kick myself for years for not getting them while you were in charge.

Best wishes to you, and I hope you find the time (and the patience) to be on the campfire often.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
End of an era. Enjoy your retirement.

What does a guy that researches Savages do for fun? grin

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,
Really sorry to know you are no longer the Savage Historian but happy for you personally that you have chosen to join the ranks of us "old retired guys". Do hope you enjoy your retirement and hope to hear from you on the forum and see you at future Fests.
Also want to say many thanks for the many things you have done for myself and other avid collectors during your time as historian. You are appreciated and will be missed.
JW

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for all your help, John. Be safe, have fun, and don't be a stranger!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 22 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,371
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.