Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Michigan Ruffed Grouse/Woodcock trip in the bag. Hot, leaves still on thick and windy. Good numbers of Woodcock if you wanted to chase them, but Grouse numbers were the attraction. Shots were few and fleeting with the leaves and wind, the heat was hard on the Dogs, but still managed to get a few. On the last day had the three easiest shots, but didn't connect. Some multiple 4 and 5 Bird flushes in the thick. Over 75 Grouse flushes for a 6 day trip, most of which we didn't get to shoot at, but Dogs had many contacts.

Merlot keeps improving into his 2nd year. Pretty good trip.

[Linked Image]

That new pup seems to be working out just fine....I'm glad to see it....

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you,

He has come far in his short time. Has a good nose; as of now, actually better than Toby the black Cocker. He should turn out fine if I can get him into enough Birds. Unfortunately, our local Grouse numbers are down. He does have an uncanny ability to quickly locate the fall of a downed Bird. He has done it on Birds that he couldn't have seen the Bird when shot or where it hit.

Little runt, but full of drive. He is digging on the kennel floor to get out when you come up to let him out.

In addition, fun happy go lucky personality. The world is his apple.

Thanks again,

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Kate and her first wild rooster.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Nice COCK.

Travis

in my local Wi bar

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ribka
[Linked Image]

I've seen hats for sale like that at a truck stop in Watertown, SD.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's deer-thirty but I can't keep my mind off of COCK!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TomM1
Today was our pheasant opener, windy and raining but still made it out. Took my grandfathers 51' wingmaster out. Ive gave it a refinishing couple years ago, rust blueing, new but used 26" IC barrel, new pachmayer brown pad, nice lightweight gun. First bird I flushed, I shot and heard another shot right after. Another fella ran over and grabbed it so thought, Oh' well. Next bird I flushed I dropped without competition. My last bird I spotted sneaking into the woods, I put the moves on him and he flushed out over a high grass field. I dropped him but had a hell of a time finding him. As I was looking for him I was shootin the breeze with some other hunters and their dog flushed another bird. Good day considering the weather. I used some low brass winchester 4's I picked up for late season rabbit hunting. Much more gentle than high brass 5's I usually use and work just as well.

[Linked Image]
Nice old Wingmaster , love the early style 870s.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by TomM1
Today was our pheasant opener, windy and raining but still made it out. Took my grandfathers 51' wingmaster out. Ive gave it a refinishing couple years ago, rust blueing, new but used 26" IC barrel, new pachmayer brown pad, nice lightweight gun. First bird I flushed, I shot and heard another shot right after. Another fella ran over and grabbed it so thought, Oh' well. Next bird I flushed I dropped without competition. My last bird I spotted sneaking into the woods, I put the moves on him and he flushed out over a high grass field. I dropped him but had a hell of a time finding him. As I was looking for him I was shootin the breeze with some other hunters and their dog flushed another bird. Good day considering the weather. I used some low brass winchester 4's I picked up for late season rabbit hunting. Much more gentle than high brass 5's I usually use and work just as well.

[Linked Image]
Nice old Wingmaster , love the early style 870s.

Thanks Ive got another, mod barrel and non-corncobb forend thats usually my pheasant gun. The one pictured is very light for a 12 and is usually my grouse/rabbit gun.

deflave- I hear ya, bucks are running does hard around here. I took Friday off to hunt, but in the morning said screw it and went pheasant hunting again.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You are all bird slayers.

Kingston,

What are those? Robins?

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruffed Grouse

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't think I've ever encountered one of those.

What shotgun are you using?

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's an old Parker.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just read through this whole thread, loving the pics and the stories. Glad to see y'all are getting into birds!

My season hasn't started yet. Moved to south TX in September, which sucks for hunting this year... first, the move has seriously eaten up my free time for hunting, and second, there ain't a lot of upland birds here. But I've got a line on a guy up in the Panhandle who breeds and trains Brittany's, and I'm going up to see him some time here in late November. Might end up with a new bird dog if I like the way his dogs hunt.

Of course, that will mean I'll have to plan September trips to Montana and NoDak, October trips to SoDak, November and December to the Panhandle and Kansas. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Doc,

I have hunted COCK in the best COCK country known to man, and the stuff in the panhandle is second to none for wild birds.

You will need an "in" as is always the case in that POS state but if you can find one, you will kill lots of COCK.

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Just read through this whole thread, loving the pics and the stories. Glad to see y'all are getting into birds!

My season hasn't started yet. Moved to south TX in September, which sucks for hunting this year... first, the move has seriously eaten up my free time for hunting, and second, there ain't a lot of upland birds here. But I've got a line on a guy up in the Panhandle who breeds and trains Brittany's, and I'm going up to see him some time here in late November. Might end up with a new bird dog if I like the way his dogs hunt.

Of course, that will mean I'll have to plan September trips to Montana and NoDak, October trips to SoDak, November and December to the Panhandle and Kansas. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

Doc, Let me know if you're looking for company!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dave, I've heard the same thing about Panhandle COCK-bustin'... I'm slated to do a duck hunt up there in December with an outfitter who also leases land for pheasant hunts. I'm trying to find someone with a decent gun dog who can go with me.

I'm gonna see if ol' eyeball can get free from his loving wife for a coupla days...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hey, Kingston! Where you at? Gotta decent gun dog?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Dave, I've heard the same thing about Panhandle COCK-bustin'... I'm slated to do a duck hunt up there in December with an outfitter who also leases land for pheasant hunts. I'm trying to find someone with a decent gun dog who can go with me.

I'm gonna see if ol' eyeball can get free from his loving wife for a coupla days...

My dog is as good as they come for flushing and finding pheasant.

But I can't see driving to Texas for COCK.

Not even yours...

Dave

Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
632 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.