Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Recently got a really pretty older model 700 ADL in a trade. Really gave nothing for it but it came with a brass hung in the chamber with the bolt handle broken off. Owner said he fired a factory round through rifle and brass wouldn't extract. Bolt would not lift. He used a rubber mallet to strike handle and it broke off. He is a pretty honest guy so I believe his story about the factory round and it not being a really hot hand load. What problems will I have getting rifle repaired? Is it much trouble to re-attach bolt handle?

Thanks

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
Recently got a really pretty older model 700 ADL in a trade. Really gave nothing for it but it came with a brass hung in the chamber with the bolt handle broken off. Owner said he fired a factory round through rifle and brass wouldn't extract. Bolt would not lift. He used a rubber mallet to strike handle and it broke off. He is a pretty honest guy so I believe his story about the factory round and it not being a really hot hand load. What problems will I have getting rifle repaired? Is it much trouble to re-attach bolt handle?

Thanks

HeavyBarrel

They are brazed on no big dea if done by the right guy

K
K
Since the handle is already off having either the factory oem handle or a new PTG handle timed and tig welded would be the best way to go. The factory handle position functions, but Remington is known for having the click at the top of the bolt lift. If you look at 99% of all Remington 700 handles on the cam angle near where the handle attaches to the bolt body you'll see a burr rolled up. It's only on about 10% of the cam surface. That shows the bolt is out of time and only making contact on a small % of the cam surface. When I time and tig a handle on I re-position the bolt handle so it makes at least 80% cam surface contact upon opening. I huge difference is felt when opening the bolt. Silky smooth like a good custom action.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Kevin is correct in what he is saying.
I've sent many many Remington bolts to Dan Armstrong (accu-tig.com) over the years. Dan is cheap and very quick. Placement of the bolt handle is of prime importance.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Welcome to the Fire, Kevin.

Sounds like Kevin knows what he's doing, need to know more about him and what services he offers.

DF

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You'll probably have to have the barrel pulled off the action in order to remove the stuck case and get the bolt out. After that, send the bolt to Accutig. It isn't very expensive and you'll recoup much of what you spend if you sell the rifle down the line.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KevinCram
Since the handle is already off having either the factory oem handle or a new PTG handle timed and tig welded would be the best way to go. The factory handle position functions, but Remington is known for having the click at the top of the bolt lift. If you look at 99% of all Remington 700 handles on the cam angle near where the handle attaches to the bolt body you'll see a burr rolled up. It's only on about 10% of the cam surface. That shows the bolt is out of time and only making contact on a small % of the cam surface. When I time and tig a handle on I re-position the bolt handle so it makes at least 80% cam surface contact upon opening. I huge difference is felt when opening the bolt. Silky smooth like a good custom action.
That's done right!!

Last Rem 700 I had in here was so out of time that the bolt handle never touched the initial extraction cam at the top of the receiver! I've seen them off a bit before many times, but never missing it entirely.. eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 56 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.