Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Jordan, not to hijack, but what 6mm bullet are you using to whack those big Canadian bucks? Thanks.

85 TSX, 80 TTSX, and 105 AM and HPBT have worked great for me on a number of big deer.

Do you have any pics of all those big deer?

I notice that you'd rather follow me around like a puppy than respond to my friendly PM. That's nice.

Big deer doesn't necessarily mean big antlers, though these guys didn't disappoint in either regard. These particular deer weren't .243 victims, though they were similar and died just the same...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I hosted Skane and we shot this pair. The big guy was killed less than 200 yards from the buck in the first pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All were big-bodied deer, among a number of others not shown. Not to mention that in my time guiding caribou hunters I saw the .243 used a fair bit. Guess what, it worked on them too, despite a bull caribou being a 300-400 lbs "deer".

Your turn. I appreciate the call-out, now let's see some of your big deer.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Kinda funny that in ALL the games where hitting schitt is the thing that matters.... NOBODY shoots a .270.... EVER.

That's true only in the world of match and tactical shooting. When it comes to BG hunting,the 270 is FAR more popular worldwide for BG hunting than most any 7mm I can think of with the sole exception of the 7 RemMag. I can't think of a single 6.5 tat challenges it either in terms of game killed annually worldwide.

There's a couple guys on here who have each killed in excess of 400 head of BG animals with a 270 caliber rifles. There is nothing wrong with either their shooting nor their hitting. Within the last month, one used Blue Box Federal 130's to polish off a couple of big bull kudu and app. 20 other head of plains game animals in South Africa.

I've used the 270 and the 7 mmm rifles interchangeably for over 40 years and neither my hit rate nor my tally of animals has suffered with either one.When I wanted to kill something with either one it usually ended up dead

We might look at the upper end of 7mm and 6.5 bullets and say they fly a bit better due to higher BC but they certainly don't kill a lick better than any equivalent 270 bullet....the term "equivalent " meaning construction, not higher BC numbers.

The notion that the 270 is somehow inadequate as a BG cartridge is just silly internet talk.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jordan those look like Big Deer to me. Some people do kill them up in Canada. smile

Has RBO killed any big Canadian whitetails?

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/04/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jordan -

I'm glad you put up the evidence. I KNOW & KNEW there ARE big bodied deer in Canada. I know of hunters that I don't know personally who have been going to Alberta, Saskat., et.al. and have killed BOONER bucks.

I was waiting for you to show personal evidence rather than for me to talk about somewhere I haven't hunted.

Thnx for the Pics.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome deer Jordan! Way to shut rbo up!

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Jordan those look like Big Deer to me. Some people do kill them up in Canada. smile

Has RBO killed any big Canadian whitetails?

I cannot even believe anyone would question Jordan, he is one of the most informative and down to earth posters here. I thoroughly enjoy his posts .

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Been passively watching this thread and knew the inevitable was going to happen. I knew calling Jordan out was going to be a tactical error......

Good post Jordan.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RBO
Jordan, not to hijack, but what 6mm bullet are you using to whack those big Canadian bucks? Thanks.

85 TSX, 80 TTSX, and 105 AM and HPBT have worked great for me on a number of big deer.

I notice that you'd rather follow me around like a puppy than respond to my friendly PM. That's nice.

Big deer doesn't necessarily mean big antlers, though these guys didn't disappoint in either regard. These particular deer weren't .243 victims, though they were similar and died just the same...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I hosted Skane and we shot this pair. The big guy was killed less than 200 yards from the buck in the first pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All were big-bodied deer, among a number of others not shown. Not to mention that in my time guiding caribou hunters I saw the .243 used a fair bit. Guess what, it worked on them too, despite a bull caribou being a 300-400 lbs "deer".

Follow you like a puppy? Lol, your ego is even bigger than l thought.

You have one decent buck in how many years of hunting Alberta?

I've been guiding whitetail, moose and mule deer for nearly 20yrs, not once have I seen a .243 brought to camp. Not that it means anything, just an observation.

My top 5 whitetail average 168 and I don't think I've killed a buck under 150 in 20yrs.

When I'm back in town I'll line up some racks for a pic for you.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwinters
Been passively watching this thread and knew the inevitable was going to happen. I knew calling Jordan out was going to be a tactical error......

Good post Jordan.

You sure got some man crush on Jordan. He does know his stuff when it comes to ballistics, it's his online ego that's got me shocked. I guess with the kind of love he gets on the forum it's bound to happen.

Jordans buck might impress you, the one his buddy killed is a decent buck, the one he's pictured with is a 130 class buck. Some might think those are good deer but others in Alberta or Saskatchewan would let them grow.

I kill big deer, I'm not worried about being called out on it either. I'm new to the campfire but not new to hunting.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

500 yards...

7 Mag 180/.754/2825 = -44", 9" wind, 2200 ft/lbs

.270 Win 140/.488/2950 = -44", 13.7" wind, 1540 ft/lbs

Given the shooter has the skill to make the 500 yard hit, that is only a 4.7" difference with the 270 Win., of a basket ball size target area on the deer. With higher velocity of 270 WSM the difference would be less.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Kinda funny that in ALL the games where hitting schitt is the thing that matters.... NOBODY shoots a .270.... EVER.

That's true only in the world of match and tactical shooting. When it comes to BG hunting,the 270 is FAR more popular worldwide for BG hunting than most any 7mm I can think of with the sole exception of the 7 RemMag. I can't think of a single 6.5 tat challenges it either in terms of game killed annually worldwide.

There's a couple guys on here who have each killed in excess of 400 head of BG animals with a 270 caliber rifles. There is nothing wrong with either their shooting nor their hitting. Within the last month, one used Blue Box Federal 130's to polish off a couple of big bull kudu and app. 20 other head of plains game animals in South Africa.

I've used the 270 and the 7 mmm rifles interchangeably for over 40 years and neither my hit rate nor my tally of animals has suffered with either one.When I wanted to kill something with either one it usually ended up dead

We might look at the upper end of 7mm and 6.5 bullets and say they fly a bit better due to higher BC but they certainly don't kill a lick better than any equivalent 270 bullet....the term "equivalent " meaning construction, not higher BC numbers.

The notion that the 270 is somehow inadequate as a BG cartridge is just silly internet talk.

Jumping through hoops for marginal gains is a tough pill to swallow.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There are some very impressive exploits and numbers being tossed around here.

I once opened a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup with my teeth while standing next to a 270 Win rifle that was leaning against a tree.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StrayDog

500 yards...

7 Mag 180/.754/2825 = -44", 9" wind, 2200 ft/lbs

.270 Win 140/.488/2950 = -44", 13.7" wind, 1540 ft/lbs

Given the shooter has the skill to make the 500 yard hit, that is only a 4.7" difference with the 270 Win., of a basket ball size target area on the deer. With higher velocity of 270 WSM the difference would be less.

There's a difference, but the right dope and wind call the net is zero. So the "advantage" is in a marginal wind call. Comparing his custom loaded match bullet to a lowly factory loaded BTSP, the difference between 5 MPH and 10 mph only nets 3.3". And that's only there if both rifles share the same accuracy and recoil isn't an issue. Meaning someone might have an advantage with a lighter recoiling rifle. But we'll assume both are capable of shooting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by RBO

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Follow you like a puppy? Lol, your ego is even bigger than l thought.

You have one decent buck in how many years of hunting Alberta?

I've been guiding whitetail, moose and mule deer for nearly 20yrs, not once have I seen a .243 brought to camp. Not that it means anything, just an observation.

My top 5 whitetail average 168 and I don't think I've killed a buck under 150 in 20yrs.

When I'm back in town I'll line up some racks for a pic for you.

I find it funny that you keep talking about my ego, yet I'm the one who extended a hand of goodwill in a friendly PM, which you quickly withdrew yourself from without responding. I'm not the one who's self-worth seems to live and die with the public posting of a tally of B&C scores. You have no idea what I've killed, nor what I've witnessed while guiding others. I posted a couple of quick pics of deer I've killed and been in on the killing of, but don't get the idea that that's the sum total of my hunting exploits. I don't claim to have a trophy room comparable to that of guys like scenarshooter, but I've killed more than a little, and witnessed a bunch more. And I don't feel the need to brag online about B&C scores while crapping on other people's kills. I don't mind sandbagging a little, either.

Either way, despite the fact that you seem intent on trolling your way into the spotlight while derailing the OP's thread, I see no need to turn this thread into a B&C score competition. I never claimed that you were new to hunting, and I'm sure you have some nice animals in your trophy room. Good for you and congratulations. And yes, I'd like to see the pics smile

As I said before, big deer doesn't necessarily mean big antlers. We're talking about bullets and chamberings, and their effectiveness on deer. Bullets hit the body, not the antlers. Just a couple of days ago I killed a big-bodied MD doe that would rival the on-the-hoof weight of a BIG buck in much of the US. And yes, that was with a .243" 105 HPBT. And yes, the deer died poste haste, despite being a "smidge" beyond rock-throwing distance.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jordan, I didn't respond to your pm because you insulted me, it doesn't hurt my feelings I just rather not correspond with you on a personal level.

I'm not trolling you or this thread, I posted that of the two cartridges in question I would go with the 270wsm for a lightweight deer rifle and gave the reason why I felt that way. I did take a shot at your post, no worse than how you take shots at others. The op asked about 2 specific cartridges, your the one who took it sideways, I just pointed it out.

I don't understand why a guy can't ask a question and just get the answer without being challenged as to why they would ask such a question.

If you're not worried about B&C scores I guess there's no sense in me posting my pics here, it's probably best on another thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fair enough, but I sincerely apologized if you felt insulted by my comments, since that wasn't my intent. I do call it like I see it, but don't intentionally degrade other people. Ironically, it's ego and pride that keep a guy from accepting the apology of another...

Nobody (at least not me) challenged the OP. I simply pointed out that the .243 with good bullets is more than up to the task of terminally doing the job on big deer, so debating between the .270WSM and 7RM as a deer rifle shouldn't be a matter of terminal performance, but a consideration of other factors.

No, I think at this point you posting your pics is very relevant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by bwinters

Good post Jordan.

You sure got some man crush on Jordan. He does know his stuff when it comes to ballistics, it's his online ego that's got me shocked. I guess with the kind of love he gets on the forum it's bound to happen.

This reeks of a guy aching to be in the limelight and heralded by all, that can't stand somebody else getting some credit...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BayouRover
There are some very impressive exploits and numbers being tossed around here.

I once opened a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup with my teeth while standing next to a 270 Win rifle that was leaning against a tree.

That's gold smile

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fotis
In a lightweight package what would you pick for deer and why?

I did not really read much of the thread so....

But I would let the rifle do the choosing. Pick the one you like based on it's characteristics. Performance wise, it is basically gonna be a wash on deer. Have used both.

On another note, you seem to have a bunch of magnum chambered rifles. Why not get something like a Finnlight in 7mm-08? You may just love it....hint.

Or how about a Vanguard Back Country in that 240 Wby chambering you still don't have?

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fair enough, but I sincerely apologized if you felt insulted by my comments, since that wasn't my intent. I do call it like I see it, but don't intentionally degrade other people. Ironically, it's ego and pride that keep a guy from accepting the apology of another...

Nobody (at least not me) challenged the OP. I simply pointed out that the .243 with good bullets is more than up to the task of terminally doing the job on big deer, so debating between the .270WSM and 7RM as a deer rifle shouldn't be a matter of terminal performance, but a consideration of other factors.

No, I think at this point you posting your pics is very relevant.

Why are you trying to make this personal? I said you definitely know your ballistics, even said you shot a decent buck, and in another thread I said I used to like who you were.

You stated it's silly to ask which is a better choice between the 270wsm and the 7mm mag did you not?
Did the op ask about a 243? Did he ask if there was a more practical cartridge? Did he ask if there was a better cartridge?

I don't need recognition for my accomplishments as a hunter, don't worry if you really want pics I'll show you but maybe only in a pm so as not to showboat. I'll save my pics for the pm for you, I'll leave going public with them up to you.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.