Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tdd4570 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Ok. I have been a stainless / synthectic guy for a long time.

I bought a wood / blue rifle recently.

What is the best way to clean 30-40 years of dirt / grime off the stock without damaging the finish?

Thanks

dave

Last edited by tdd4570; 10/20/16.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It depends on the finish. What model is it?

Thick plastic finishes like most Remington 700s, A-Borts, Sako, and lots of others can be wiped clean with soapy water, dried, and waxed. If there is crud that did not come off rubbing alcohol on a rag will get most out. A toothbrush will get the junk out of the checkering.

A damp warm rag used quickly will be okay with most finishes, but do not leave it wet for more than a few seconds... wipe and then dry immediately.

Use wax after cleaning but do not use car wax, ever. Bri-Wax is my favorite, johnson's is okay.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like Skidmore's Cream to clean old wood and Renaissance Wax to make it look good.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sitka, why not car wax?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stikshooter
Sitka, why not car wax?

Silicones in the car wax can cause a lot of different issues in any finishing or bedding job done later.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I like Skidmore's Cream to clean old wood and Renaissance Wax to make it look good.

I'm not familiar with these products. Do you use both on the wood? Thanks

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Renaissance wax is good stuff. I also use it as the release agent when epoxy bedding barreled actions. Never had anything stick to it. It has essentially no thickness unlike the blue Brownell's release agent, and it doesn't matter if you clean every bit off because it actually helps protect the steel from the elements.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ren wax, Trewax, Moser's, Butcher's are all waxes I have on the shelf, and frankly I don't see much difference in them aside from ease of buffing away streakiness if raw wax is left to sit too long before buffing. Some are better than others in that regard, but the end result is pretty much the same.

I had a buddy, recently deceased, who built a bunch of traditional muzzle loaders using good hard tightly "curled" Pennsylvania maple. He experimented with using nothing but paste wax (Johnson's in this case) as a finish because he long ago realized the folly of relying on oil. I was a little skeptical at first, but his initial finishes turned out quite nice and weathered the years quite well. He started with something like 10 applications, and then re-waxed every time he used a gun. After a while they took on a very pleasant patina, and were certainly better protected than if straight oil had been used.

Almost 20 years ago now, I had the opportunity to replace some curly maple flooring in the den of Howard K. Smith, ABC Newsman from the 50's-70's some of you old timers may remember. (A Klieg light exploded while filming Walter Cronkite sitting at the desk.) Anyway, the burn marks resembled cigarette burns and couldn't be sanded away- I had to replace/match new wood. Turned out the entire floor never had any finish other than paste wax, so that's what I used. It turned out nice, but was a b*tch matching the patina of the rest of the floor. Mr. Smith was so happy he tipped me a case of very old single malt, since he was under Dr.'s orders to cut out the alky. I also had the chance to meet Walter Cronkite while I was working, which lead to me to doing some custom cabinetry in his sail boat here in Annapolis.

Wax works.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/26/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by S99VG
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I'm not familiar with these products. Do you use both on the wood? Thanks

Skidmore's Cream is an excellent wood cleaner and Renaissance Wax is an excellent wood preservative and sealer. A guy who buy/sells/restores antique furniture put me onto these products.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Clean with damp cloth. Rub with 0000 steel wool lightly. Clean with damp cloth. Johnson paste was and let dry. Reassemble.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Try to avoid steel wool if you can. Teeny bits of steel can lodge in the surface and manifest themselves as teeny brown rust freckles if they get wet. Not a huge major issue, but a very real one nonetheless.

I hedge my bets by using bronze wool. That stuff isn't always easy to find, but luckily for me it is a common item in the hardware stores here in a town that worships the marine industry. One advantage to rubbing shoulders with and participating with marine finishers is you learn about what works for wood protection in extreme conditions, and what protocols to avoid.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
So use Skidmore's Cream with bronze wool? I take it that bronze wool is graded like its steel sibling? Not to hijack this thread, but I recently picked up a "bucket list" rifle (1922 M2 Springfield) and the stock could use a little cleaning. Heck, I guess this really isn't a hijack as it is still on topic.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you cannot find bronze wool, go to an auto parts store and get some very fine Scotchbrite. The light grey or white pads work well for me, I clean stocks using these pads and acetone. I have also used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean dirty stocks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard
If you cannot find bronze wool, go to an auto parts store and get some very fine Scotchbrite. The light grey or white pads work well for me, I clean stocks using these pads and acetone. I have also used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean dirty stocks.

ACETONE?????

Wow!

There are many finishes that are okay with it... but WOW, just WOW! Many will be toast immediately!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not to mention the effects on kidneys and liver...

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you're too ignorant to know how to use it perhaps you ought to STFU and MYOB mister know it all.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I might be tempted to use acetone on a black greasy army rifle stock that went through two world wars and had absolutely no redeeming value. Beyond that, never, and I go through acetone in my shop like sh*t through a goose for a wide range of applications. It'll disrupt many a finish, with the possible exception of the horrid clear armor Browning used/uses, and I wouldn't want to experiment on mine to boot. Acetone was used forever as an active ingredient in paint strippers, and may still be for all I know. I do know it is a wonderful chemical for softening varnish before scraping it off.

Cleaning an old oil finished stock with Scotchbrite pads and acetone may well be a viable protocol, but only if further re-finishing afterward is in the plan. Not a good idea IMO if the goal is a simple cleanup of accumulated grime and schmeck. And if you do that, for god's sake wear nitrile gloves (I double glove) whenever you mess with acetone. Not many nastier carcinogens are to be found out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you're too ignorant to know how to use it perhaps you ought to STFU and MYOB mister know it all.

No, look at the upside versus the down...

It has a place, just not there...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I might be tempted to use acetone on a black greasy army rifle stock that went through two world wars and had absolutely no redeeming value. Beyond that, never, and I go through acetone in my shop like sh*t through a goose for a wide range of applications. It'll disrupt many a finish, with the possible exception of the horrid clear armor Browning used/uses, and I wouldn't want to experiment on mine to boot. Acetone was used forever as an active ingredient in paint strippers, and may still be for all I know. I do know it is a wonderful chemical for softening varnish before scraping it off.

Cleaning an old oil finished stock with Scotchbrite pads and acetone may well be a viable protocol, but only if further re-finishing afterward is in the plan. Not a good idea IMO if the goal is a simple cleanup of accumulated grime and schmeck. And if you do that, for god's sake wear nitrile gloves (I double glove) whenever you mess with acetone. Not many nastier carcinogens are to be found out there.

No, wait! Gunwhizzer says it is okay!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

As if you weren't enough of a PITA already, this just put you on permamanent "ignore". Jackass!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.