Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tansinator
THERMOCELL! There must not be to many southern hunters here. It's the only thing I don't leave without and always have a spare.

+1

Thermacell, LRF, and text messaging, in that order. I climbed in a riverfront box blind the other afternoon when the temperature was in the 80's and there must have been 40 skeeters in there, just waiting in the dark. Had to put on my jacket and hat just to make it for 10 minutes while the Thermacell warmed up.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Google earth without a doubt for me.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Retractable keychain. The night before the hunt i attach one end to the rifles sling and i tape the other end to a box of same cal. ammo.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
waterproof boots that work

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Text messaging your hunting buddy. Especially my deaf as FUGG combat arms buddy. Used to have to scream into the phone to let him know deer where moving towards him. laugh

That would be illegal in most states....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't have any 'newer technology'. All my stuff is old school.

In Florida & you don't have a Thermacell ?

Mike

I don't find them all that effective. I use a small pump bottle of Deep Woods Off.

They work a bit in AK. But certainly not perfect.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Retractable keychain. The night before the hunt i attach one end to the rifles sling and i tape the other end to a box of same cal. ammo.

I just fill the mag box full of ammo the night before.. LOL.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've found a really comfortable climbing treestand to be a great boon to deer hunting for me. It allows me to be more still, and stay longer. This means seeing more deer, and them not seeing me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Muck Boots

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Garmin Alpha.....wouldn't want to take the GSPs out without one.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 58. I started late in hunting. Newer technologies to me are things that were not available prior to say 1980.

10) Poly-Pro Underwear. I fought the first 10 seasons in cotton thermal and wool union suits.
9) Modern Compound bows. I spent my first 10 bow seasons with a Martin Cougar Magnum. Yikes!
8) ATV's. They chase all the deer onto my property.
7) Insulated waterproof boots
6) Cell Phone -- I never have to worry about being unable to call for help.
5) Compact FRS Walkie Talkies
4) The LED flashlight. I started with a 6V lantern.
3) Rifle Scope technology-- I have never spent all that much on a scope. However, comparing a $30 scope from the mid-80's to a $65 Bushnell Banner of today is miraculous.
2) The all-metal buddy ladder stand.
1) The Internet.

When I look at what the Internet has done to my hunting experience, it's incredible.

1) Weather reports and radar right in the stand
2) Hunting Licenses online
3) Telecheck results at my fingertip
4) Topo maps and Google Earth
5) Amazon, Grafs, Midway, Sportsmans Guide
6) Electronic books to read in the stand, most of them free
7) Reloading data online
8) Telepresence: I've repaired servers and fixed phone systems from the deer blind.
9) My weblog.
10) The 24Hour Campfire

Let me just say this about the latter. Y'all don't know how much the 'Campfire has meant to me. I was a real DIY'er when it came to hunting. No one else around me hunted. I spent the first 20 years trying to learn from magazines and books. I had some decent successes before 2001, but I still had my head filled with mush on a lot of things. Between the old shooters.com and here, I have really felt I found my mentors and my companions.

It's one thing to hunt and shoot. However, it's another thing entirely to have folks to share it with. My sons are coming online now as mature men and mature hunters and shooters, so I will have real corporeal companions going forward, but you all made a lonely pursuit a lot less lonely over the years.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If the average hunter today had to go back to the old days, he'd be helpless. Hell, put a bologna sandwich, a thermos of coffee in the back of your old woolrich coat, a few extra shells and HUNT, for God's sake. (I'll allow you a simple compass if you need any high tech stuff)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We get those "average" hunters every once in a while.

I had a guy from work come out for squirrel hunting with his son. He wore a tactical vest and a pistol in a leg holster. He and the wife and the kid got lost.

A few years ago I saw a strange light in the back pasture, well after dark on the Rifle Opener. After an hour or so, the light showed up at our fire-- an insurance executive and his wife about 6 miles from their car. They'd been wandering for a couple of hours. The battery on the smartphone or GPS or whatever had died.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I just fill the mag box full of ammo the night before.. LOL.

Sometimes folks party too much the night before and put the wrong booletts in da gun. Reading cal. on box is easier than on the cartridge. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 17 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.