Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Feel free to PM me.

Looking to do a drop-in flight DYI for Caribou in 2017 or 2018. Looking ideally for maximum trophy potential on Bulls, so anywhere in Alaska that has a good herd and good numbers of Bulls.

A bonus (but not a requirement) would be to hunt a unit that allows 2 Bulls. Another bonus would be if the unit allows for 1 moose and/or has some black bear. Grizzly country is fine (but we'd not be hunting them).

2-3 hunters, minimalist backpacking. Hardcore hunters.

Any recommendations? We are open to flying into Anchorage or Fairbanks or even flying from there to another smaller village to then charter the plane. Can be anywhere in Alaska that has the best trophy potential for Caribou.

Also, any comments about http://www.arrowheadoutfitters.com/? Good or bad, someone had mentioned them.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
disregard any info from the [bleep] democrat northwestalaska. POS that Walt is....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would look at hunting PCH herd (porcupine caribou herd) it's going to cost some coin but man big bulls in that herd.. be hunting in unit 26C. Also 26B and hunt the CAH (central Arctic herd) some big bulls in that herd as well.. that hunt be cheaper than hunting the porcupine herd..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
We are open to flying into Anchorage or Fairbanks or even flying from there to another smaller village to then charter the plane.

Of course that's the only way it can work.

Good luck.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The other option would be drive, then walk.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Cheechako!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
40 mile air is top notch, you'd be hunting the 40 mile herd. They know the area really better than anybody, great pilots. Plus they have a meat freezer in case you get something early. They can pick it up and keep it cool for you until you're done. They've also got some trailers there with beds so you don't have to get a hotel.

Last edited by duckslayer56; 10/28/16.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have used Lake Clark Air out of Port Allsworth on the Ak. Peninsula. Pilot was Mark Lang with a Piper Super Cub, 2nd pilot used a Stinson. They put 2 us on the Caribou south of Lake Clark, north of Lime Village. Flew out of Merrill to Lake Clark. Dont know if they still do drop hunts or not.

I advise you use someone who has planes with tundra tires and not use a float plane. ymmv.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Or if you're really hardcore you could skydive in then hike or float out to your extraction point. Who needs strips or lakes when you can bail out at 5k ft?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/63123-No-goat-yes-bear-skydiving-hunt

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

Or if you're really hardcore you could skydive in then hike or float out to your extraction point. Who needs strips or lakes when you can bail out at 5k ft?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/63123-No-goat-yes-bear-skydiving-hunt

Well, who ain't done that?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
gnarly eek

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

Thanks for the idea!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 23 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,371
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.