Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta love Fairbanks, Alaska

....free wood all over...

...and the the local government tells you to burn oil. (It's for the air!)

..... and the Federal Giverment tells us not to drill our oil.

Yeah for Fed Give!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Took out a propane fireplace and replaced it with this. One of the best things we have ever done.

[Linked Image]

It's a blowtorch isn't it? My wife complains about the sound of the fan when she's sitting next to it so we don't get full heat output from it. But that's not a bad thing, as it almost puts out too much heat unless you throttle it way back.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Took out a propane fireplace and replaced it with this. One of the best things we have ever done.

[Linked Image]

It's a blowtorch isn't it? My wife complains about the sound of the fan when she's sitting next to it so we don't get full heat output from it. But that's not a bad thing, as it almost puts out too much heat unless you throttle it way back.

The fan is a bit loud but I am half deaf anyways so the tv is turned up so loud I can't hear the fan. lol

The house really wasn't designed for this large of output in the living room. It will plum run you out quick ,fast and in a hurry. I have been sitting on the couch and thought, man it is warm in here and looked over at the stat and it was almost 90*. Of course the Wife is warm and toasty which is all the that matters anyway. We do have a large overhead fan that does help push out the air somewhat but the north end of the house where the bedrooms are gets a little cool in the winter. I am trying to come up with a plan that allows a thermostat down the hall. I asked about moving the main thermostat but since it is over the main return, I have been advised not to move it.

I also thought about just turning on the fan and letting the air circulate which sounded good in theory but in practical application, all it did was blow cold air on me when I was in bed. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't mind the fan when it's throttled back, really isn't that loud unless you're sitting right next to the fireplace. Our 1st and 2nd floors are 2500 sq ft with the fireplace in a 2 story living room with a ceiling fan. You really have to keep the ceiling fan cranking or the upstairs hallway is roasting and better keep the upstairs bedroom doors open or the bedrooms get cold.

I wish there was a way to run our forced air heat in a fan only mode just to circulate the hot air from the fireplace.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I heat with wood all winter, I start bringing in the next years firewood About March! anytime i see a log or tree I can get easy I get it! My goal is to be done by Oct. 1st Bow season, but Ill cut wood anytime I can get it! about 2 tanks of gas is it for me for a day on a Good day!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I wish there was a way to run our forced air heat in a fan only mode just to circulate the hot air from the fireplace.

Seems you aught to be able to engineer that. Different switch/T-stat?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ironbender

I thought about another stat down my hallway where it gets cooler in parallel with the original one that I can switch back and forth depending on time of year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I work hard to keep two woodstoves and a fireplace going.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That is a piece of equipment I would love to have help me clear 80ac of cedar trees.

I have machine envy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't drag my wood thru the mud. I carry it......grin

[Linked Image]

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pussy

I do it the hard way.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
All I have is a Jet Sled, pulled by Hand!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't think I am ambitious enough for that, my friend...was wishing for more horsepower and newer tread last time out...:)

The look of antique stove and well done brickwork inside a camp is a beautiful thing

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't drag my wood thru the mud.
Ha, when's the last time you saw any MUD to worry about dragging wood through. smirk

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, there was this flash flood last May....

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I love wood heat. I have an EKO 25. It is a bit different. It's a gasifier. It burns very efficiently. I go through about 4 cords a year to heat the house and hot water all winter.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FG,

Hope you're enjoying the winter up there along the river.

Glad to see you helped the cur dog lose a bit of weight, much better for her.

And just so you know, even skinny dogs love the wood heat! wink

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Stove is a Quadra-Fire. Burns very efficiently, only about 6 logs a night from 7 -7 or so once a good bed of coals established. Burns down to a very fine ash. Only drawback, it still gets air even with the dampers shut. It's designed that way it seems for air quality purposes. If I sleep more than 5-6 hours the coals are about gone.

Ceiling fan has been running since November. Gotta keep the heat down from the 10' ceilings.

Enjoyed all you folks' pics, thanks

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

I do enough engineering stuff during the day, just want to sit by the fire and sip a brew or a finger or two of bourbon.

Actually I think the t-stat has a fan only mode.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
We used to run a 4" vent line under the floor from farthest place in the house, to a vent near the stove would help to move heated air to the back of the house .

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 3,345 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.