Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Azshooter
The press that he ended up getting is the Lee single stage press with the breech lock system.

explained by Lee:
http://leeprecision.com/reloading-presses/single-stage/

This lock ring is attached to the die and from then on there is no need to worry about adjusting the die's depth.

I prefer the standard 7/8x14 threaded press.

Once you set the standard lock ring on a die and lock it, the die is set, and there is no further need for any re-adjustment when inserting or removing the die. Screwing a die in or out takes about 5 seconds.

Since I may use dies in several different presses on my bench, proprietary bushings would be more than an inconvenience.

Any die adjustment takes just a minute anyway, so I don't see the need for the Breechlock bushings.

So for me, the Breechlock system seems like a way to sell a bunch of bushings to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

But other than that, the Lee Classic Cast Press with the standard die threads is a good value.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish I had started (wasn't available 40 years ago) with what I have now. A Redding T7 turret press. It's just easy and I like it. A couple of extra heads and you're good to go with dies all set for many different cartridges. Granted, they cost more, but it's where I ended up anyway. That said, you can't go wrong with a Rock Chucker, either. My thoughts are that if you go "cheap", you won't be satisfied down the road. Just my humble opinion.......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Going to be buying the rock chucker kit. Had another recommendation of a digital scale and a tumbler. What about a case trimmer? I'll will probably buy several books and start reading before I begin loading. Going to wait until after the first of the year before I do anything

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
As regards case trimmers, when I started reloading in the early 70's I bought a Forster and used it for many years. For the last several years I have been using a Lyman, I like Lyman's universal case holding arrangement no collets to buy. It does however locate and lock the cases by the the primer pocket precluding trimming of primed cases. I purchased the power trim adapter shaft and use a cordless screwdriver to power mine. I also designed and built a micrometer calibrated stop collar that makes adjusting trim length in .001" increments fast and easy.

Last edited by gunswizard; 11/30/16.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Still using the Forester I bought in '70 or '71. I've had to replace the cutter 1 time. Managed to do most everything from 22 Hornet to 375 H&H w/just 2 collets.

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You can get an adaptor to replace the handle on a RCBS trimmer. Then use your electric drill to trim.

Last edited by hanco; 12/04/16.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Great topic. I would forecast up front based on what I have in centerfire cartridges now and where I see myself in 2-3 years. Just a forecast. For example, do you own any pistol cartridges, how much do you shoot, do you want to shoot more or think you will shoot more if you reload? I have a bunch of presses but the two I use the most are the Redding T-7 and a Dillon 550. You can buy an RCBS RC, but if you can swing it a T-7 would be more ideal. One of the biggest jokes I find is people always recommending a Rock Chucker or some other single stage press as if everyone is too stupid to operate something more complex than a toaster. Sure buy a RC but it will be a bigger pain in the A$$. Get yourself a chronograph if you don't already have one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No need to buy any Nosler books as all of their info is available here !

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ThompsonJ
Kicking around the idea of starting to do some reloading. If you had to start from fresh, what equipment would you buy to get going in reloading? Looking at doing mainly the 7mm remington magnum

You should. I would study & purchase the best press you can. I am sure there are others on the market equal to my RCBS Rockchucker II. It is what I started with in 1983 & I could not even imagine how many rounds it has loaded or how many times I have pulled that lever. Nary a hiccup, ever. I don't think mine is tall enough for Ultra Mag length cases. It'll barely do my 300 Wby.

It is all I have ever needed. I don't believe your press purchase is an item you should seek to save $$ on.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I would ask "why" do you maybe want to load? Save money? you can buy lots of ammo for what you`re up front costs are going to be. If you have more than one cartridge to load for maybe, or if you shoot 2-300 rounds per year maybe.
Best advice here is to buy one or two loading manuals. I would also say that if technical problems intrique you and you like to tinker, it may be for you. Think about it.
Good luck

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm no expert... I used to use and will likely soon be selling the Dillon 550b... It's ok, but I think better for pistol loads... had some issues with it dispensing light 4350 rifle powder loads...

I'm getting back into shooting and reloading and treated myself to an early xmas present.... the Redding T7 turret press. Love it! Awesome quality, love the ability to set it and forget it... I reload for 7mm, 375h&h and 45-70... the T7 has spots for 7 dies and that's exactly what I need. I highly recommend it... Brownells has it on sale for $270... not cheap, but I think in the long run I'll be more than happy. Good luck with your search.

Dave

Last edited by Dave_P; 12/06/16.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.