Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
X1Proto Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
It was a beautiful October 1966 day in the Big Hole area of Montana. The Elk season was underway so Don and a hunting buddy Bob Perkins decided to hunt in the area southwest of Wisdom MT. Don had picked a location in the Cow creek area. He was scouting along a ridge overlooking Cow creek and he spotted a Bull Elk across the draw on the next ridge. The rifle Don was using was a Ruger No 1 with a twenty-two inch barrel, Alex Henry forearm and no sights in 7mm Rem Mag. It was equipped with a quarter rib and scoped with a 2x7 Redfield. Don had the scope set on 4 power and as he sighted the Elk in the crosshair he could not quite make out the full rack because of the trees. Don estimated the range at 400 to 500 yards so he held the crosshair at the top of the Elks back. He took the shot and saw the Elk disappear in the brush. Don hiked down the ridge and across the draw and up the other side to where he thought the Elk was. As he approached the spot the Elk got up and staggered about 50 feet and collapsed. Upon examination Don saw that he had shot the Elk right through the rib cage. The bullet had passed through both sides making a clean kill. It was a huge 6 point bull and was one of the largest Elk Don had ever taken. Don was very pleased with the rifle he was using and decided he would like to purchase it or one like it.

Well, you probably think this is just another hunting article, what is the big deal? As Paul Harvey says here’s the rest of the story.

During my thirty some years of collecting Ruger No1 rifles you hear all kinds of stories but very few that are verifiable, this one is.

While conversing with a friend, Kelly of ND a few years ago this story came to life. Kelly had been to a gun show in Glendive MT where he met Don and first heard the story. Kelly found out that Don also collected Ruger No1’s and had a couple of early non-prefix rifles. Kelly gave me Don’s phone number so I could get the story first hand from him.

I called Don and he related the story to me and told me he had documentation to prove it and would send it to me. The letter arrived about a week later and I was astonished.

If you are knowledgeable about the early Ruger No1’s we know that it was announced in late 1966 but the earliest production rifles were not shipped until April 1967.

Don’s hunt took place in October 1966, so what was he using?

Larry Koller from Monroe NY who was the Supervising Editor of Guns and Hunting magazine and a very good friend of Bill Ruger in 1966.
Larry was a very popular gun writer during this period so he was loaned one of the prototype Ruger No1 rifles to test and comment upon. Larry took the rifle with him to Montana that year for range testing and hunting. Larry had to return home early for some unexpected reason and did not get to hunt with the rifle. Larry left the rifle with his good friend R.D.Shipley to use on an Elk hunt that fall. Ship, his nickname had several other rifles and decided not to use the rifle, so asked his friend Don if he would like to use it. Don was elated to try out the new rifle.

Now for Don's proof of the story. Document-1

Letter to Mr Don Hartmann, Miles City, MT dated December 2 1966 from Larry Koller, Letterhead GUNS and HUNTING from Seven Springs Rd
Monroe, New York

Quote; Dear Don

Just had a note from Ship telling me that you killed a good bull elk with the Ruger S.S.—which is just great. Hope you got some pix for me. If so, I would appreciate your sending me the negs so we can make the right blow-ups.
Ship says also that you want to buy the Ruger. I’m sorry; it just isn’t possible for that particular one. In fact, I can’t even get it myself. It’s a first pilot model with the light barrel and in 7mm Magnum so they really want it back for further test purposes. I’ll get you one just as soon as they are available if you will write me just what you want: barrel length and weight, caliber and forend style. The price will be right, don’t worry.
I will appreciate it if you will ship the Ruger back directly to: Ed Nolan, Sturm-Ruger, Inc., Southport, Conn. And ship it express collect, insured for $2000. Nolan originally asked me to have you insure it for one grand but I just now talked to him on the phone and he said to make it two.
I do want to thank you once again for your kindness in giving us the hunting courtesy on your ranch and, most of all the pleasure and fun of your company.

Best Regards
Larry (Signature)
Koller
Supervising Editor

Don shipped the rifle back to Sturm Ruger as instructed in Larry Kollers’ letter and received the following document as his receipt.

Document-2

Original Invoice from
STURM, RUGER & CO., Inc.
Southport, Connecticut 06490

Sold To Don Hartmann 12/20/66
Powderville Stage
Miles City,
Montana 59301

Date Received: December 16,1966 Our Invoice No 28979

Description

RUGER #1 RIFLE CAL 7 MM
SERIAL NO ‘’1’’ 1 ON LOAN CREDIT

(RETURNED FROM ‘’ON LOAN’’ )
ITEM COMPLETE

Now there is not always a happy ending to every story. The sad part is that Mr Larry Koller passed away unexpectedly at a young age in Aug. 1967. And to this writers knowledge did not write the article about the hunt.

What is the distinction about the Ruger No1 rifle that Don Hartman hunted with? It was PROTOTYPE RIFLE NO X1 the first Tool Room model.

This should not be confused with the production SN 1 which is a 30-06 caliber, 22 inch barrel Alex Henry forearm and factory sight's or currently as model 1A.
Don later purchased a 4 digit Ruger No1 in 7mm Mag, 22 inch barrel, Alex Henry forearm, quarter rib rings just like the Prototype he used in 1966 and still hunts with it.

The configuration of the Prototype No X1 was made only in the non-prefix rifles and was not standardized. There are currently 16 rifles known in this configuration starting at SN 70 to SN 5529. The projected total made for this model is 150 of a total production of approximately 8000 non-prefix rifles.
If any reader can furnish any further information about Ruger No 1’s please contact this writer .

e-mail RUGER1SOCIETYzoomtown.com
Addendum to this Story

When I originally wrote this article I did not know that there was more information for the story.
When I conversed with Don Hartmann during the months that followed he told me he had photographs of the Ruger No1 X1 Prototype rifle and the October 1966 hunt.

I inquired if he could send me some duplicate photographs that I could use for a revised article in the future. Don said he didn’t have access to any photographic facilities at the time but said he would be glad to send me his original album of black and white photographs so I could get the duplicates made.

I was able to get two complete sets of duplicate photos made from his originals and had some of them colorized to bring them up to date.

I sent Don a complete set of new photographs along with his original photos and he was very appreciative for them and the color photos.

When I received the photographs I was surprised to actually see the very first
Prototype Ruger No1 rifle.
The original Ruger X1 prototype rifle had a 22 inch light barrel with no
Quarter Rib. The Scope was mounted in a set of Rings unlike any I had
Ever seen. There were two separate scope blocks on the barrel.

The barrel band was also a lot wider than the standard barrel band on the
Production rifles.
The Checkering pattern on the buttstock was also different from the first
Production models. The Checkering pattern on the X1 prototype had a two
pointed pattern on the pistol grip. A similar pattern like this was used on the
Ruger No1 model celebrating one hundred years of the 30-06 cartridge.

The Forearm checkering looked very similar to the first production models.
During the years after I found the information on this rifle I have inquired
Several times to the factory records and other sources to determine the
whereabouts of the rifle but to no avail. Since then I do have the whereabouts
of this rifle.

Don later acquired a new production Ruger No1 SN 4192 of his own. The
Rifle was an AH configuration in 7 Mag with 22 inch barrel and Quarter Rib
with Horizontal Rings. Don hunted with his rifle many years then sold it to a
friend who is a Ruger No1 collector.

Issac Sherretts
Ruger1Societyzoomtown.com

Will post Photo's later.

Last edited by X1Proto; 10/01/16.
GB1

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought the first production No. 1 was a .308 serial no. 935, per Clayton's book. But I always wondered what happened to the other 934 rifles.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I briefly owned a 7mm like that myself, SN53somethingsomething. Got a slide of it someplace. My brother was the original owner. Killer wood. I sold it to a guy that worked at the old Atlas Sporting Goods store in Wheaton, MD, for about (urk!) $200 if I recall correctly.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting stuff for us No. 1 loonies.
Thanks Carl.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked a a couple of 4 digit #1's on Saturday. It was tempting. A .22-250 and a 6mm, both in the BB configuration.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pops had a 4 digit B in .30-06.
Wood was pretty nice.
I liked the vert split rings.
Dunno who he sold it to.
Kinda wish he had it now.

Still has his old .22-250 B model, think it first version checkering pattern, was diff than my old B in .243.

Also has a NIB stainless V model. For me, lack of a quarter rib kills the look.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I figure when his twofifty comes my way I'll send it off for rebarrel to .35 Rem.

Proly Penrod Precision.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 21
I thought the first production No. 1 was a .308 serial no. 935, per Clayton's book. But I always wondered what happened to the other 934 rifles.

The first commercially shipped Ruger No.1 was a .308.

There were a number of 'X' rifles in the development. I would love to have seen the lightweight one Lenard Brownell built for himself.

X
X1Proto Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
SN 935 was owned ny Lee Newton for awhile, it was not shipped until Oct 1967 so it was not the first rifle shipped commercially, this is an error in Clayton's Book.That Rifle SN 935 now resides in another collection with the original Box.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks X1Proto, always seemed odd they started shipping at that SN.

Any photos of X1?

Cheers, Chris

IC B3

X
X1Proto Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Yes I have one Photo but can not post as I don't use a web host. If you would like to see or post for me let me know I could send to you by PM.

Carl

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hi Carl

PM sent .

Cheers, Chris

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here is the photograph and documentation from X1Proto. Amazing historical items.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Here is the photograph and documentation from X1Proto. Amazing historical items.

That is very cool.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
X
X1Proto Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
A world of Thanks to Chris for posting the Photo's for me.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Just for the correct skinny on #935, the postage stamps on the box had a cancellation date of 9/15/1967; that was it's ship date. Joe Clayton told me that Steve Vogel had provided the 9/15/66 ship date for #935 for Joe for use in the Ruger No.1 book. Whether Steve made an error, or wanted to perpetuate the belief that No.1's actually began shipping in 1966 will never be known. The first Press Releases advertised an October 1966 ship date and near ALL the outdoor/hunting mags ran their testfires in the October 1966 issues.
With the exception of the various Prototypes and one known barreled action, the first general shipments were in the 3rd week of April of 1967.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for sharing this.

I have a #1-S in the 7mm Mag chambering that I bought on the cheap to be used to build a 300 H&H. That never happened but I've come to appreciate the rifle, though it sat for many months before i finally fired it. (The crude piece of metal wedged between the forearm hanger and the barrel didn't exactly instill much confidence when I discovered that during initial inspection.) But the rifle shows plenty of promise to keep stuff it likes best in tight three-shot groups, and that is plenty good enough for me and whatever hunting I might put it to....... if I don't torch the barrel out via Retumbo first. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
C
I was fortunate to have known Don Hartmann as a good friend. I met Don at a writer's event sponsored by Western Powders in Miles City back in 2001. At that time, Don did the ballistic testing for WP. I found Don to be a "straight-shooter", and we got along great. We had a lot in common, both hunting and handloading.

After that writer's event, Don invited me back to MC for some more pdog shooting later that summer. Although the outfitters in the area had not only locked up the deer/antelope hunting, they had also ruined the access for shooting pdogs. However, Don had lived in the MC area for a long time, and still had good access.

While staying with Don and his wife Eleanor, I found out Don was an avid Ruger #1 collector/shooter. He showed me his #1 collection, which included many #1's I had never seen or heard of, including the 1st one he ever bought. He also mentioned that elk hunt using the #1 prototype in 7 Mag, and showed me the letters in his scrapbook documenting the authenticity.

Since that 1st visit, Don and I remained close friends, and I looked forward to our annual dog shoots, as well as long phone conversations relating to guns and hunting. Don was still working for WP when he severely injured his neck at work. At the local hospital, they found out he his neck had actually broken,and he was emergency transferred to Billings.

Although Don survived the serious neck injury, he developed ALS, and died a few years ago. Don was a real gentleman, and I miss his friendship. Don was the "real deal"!

X
X1Proto Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Catapult1
I don't know how to express enough Thank You for your comments & praise for Don Hartman.
I never got to actually meet Don in person, just through phone conversations and Mail but I believe you really summed it all up by saying that "Don was the "real deal".

May GOD be with you in Eternity

C
C
For sure, Don was one of those guys that would give you the shirt off his back if you needed one. However, he also didn't think too highly of BS, and could spot it a mile away. We often joked about how some of the new breed of "gun writer's" were nothing more than "college-boy copy writers", and we both witnessed several occasions of writer's with poor gun-handling skills and gross incompetence around firearms.

At his funeral, I met the rest of the family. It was obvious that they were raised right. His son and grandsons are also avid hunters, and although the grandsons lived in CO, would join Don in their annual family elk hunt.

Don fulfilled one lifetime dream, which was having a cartridge named after him. I think it was called the.25 Hartmann. He showed me the rifle with the .25 Hartmann stamp, as well as the cartridge and custom RCBS dies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.