Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
We have about a 10 acre section on our property that is thick as can be. Been thinking of using a 12 gauge with 3 inch 00 buckshot. It would be almost impossible to shoot beyond 35 yards. Anyone have any experience with whitetails and buckshot?
Would like to hear about your experiences.
Thanks

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Take it out and shoot it with the same buckshot you plan to hunt with and make sure it shoots a good pattern and you get a feel for it.

Then when hunting, I always aim at the head of a running deer. If I miss the head, chances are I'll hit the vitals. That's what has always worked for me out to 50 yards, sometimes further.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Its great indoors.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In my early years, I hunted with a Rem. 1100. But I used 3" No. 1 buckshot. No problems with it and some dropped in their tracks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Inside of 50 yds buckshot is very effective . I'd see what your gun likes best as far as patterns . I used to do a lot of hunting in eastern Va where buckshot was the only thing allowed . Worst thing if you don't drop the deer in their tracks it's usually not much of a blood trail .

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
35 yards its a dead deer. You can even get 000 if you want. At that range #4 buck would even work. Finding a load and choke combo that patterns good is the same as getting a turkey gun ready. But it is possible to get softball size buckshot groups at 35 yards. Some guns do well with modified, some need up to extra full.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
It works, I'd personally prefer a slug if legal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buckshot sucks
If you can use anything else, do that instead.

You won't see a lot of deer in there if it's really that thick.

If you do see them, it will be just about as easy to hit them with a rifle or handgun which will give you a better blood trail.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It sucks compared to a rifle but thousands of deer are killed every year in the south on dog hunts with it.
I used it for years on hogs before I could afford a rifle. It patterened like crap in my shotgun but I was shooting at hogs no further than about 30 yards. Even then I found a lot of it never got through to the vitial organs.
So is it effective , yes. Efficent , no.
I finally broke down in 1988/9 and bought an open box Marlin 30/30 on sale from Service Merchandise for $125. I shot it with the open sights for five years until I bought a Ruger Tanger in 30/06. The old marlin killed alot of game and to this day that particular rifle still wears no scope.
But if your concerned about your bullets leaving the property buck shot will work.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I used to hunt with it periodically, and within its limits it's very effective. I bought several brands and sizes and patterned them. My 870 with a modified choke would shoot the Winchester 3" 00 load very well, and of the 4 deer I shot from 4 to 35 yards, all dropped where they stood. Since my pattern wasn't as tight as I liked at 50 yards, 40 was my personal limit. Buckshot can be very effective if you do your homework.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have used everything from 000 thru #4 . I pattern the shotgun and never had to look for a deer shot within 50 yards never.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Snyper
Buckshot sucks
If you can use anything else, do that instead.

You won't see a lot of deer in there if it's really that thick.

If you do see them, it will be just about as easy to hit them with a rifle or handgun which will give you a better blood trail.

Never had it fail on me. Of course you have to know its limitations and how to use it. Like anything else.

I'd take it at that range you mention over a handgun all day long...

At 30-35 yards nickel plated #4 would put a lot of holes in one asap.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
We have about a 10 acre section on our property that is thick as can be. Been thinking of using a 12 gauge with 3 inch 00 buckshot. It would be almost impossible to shoot beyond 35 yards. Anyone have any experience with whitetails and buckshot?
Thanks

Buckshot is damned effective out to about 35 yards. Don't get stuck on just 00. Pattern what works best for your shotgun and go with that; #4 to 000.

Now, that said, I would not hunt that 10 acres. If you have that, then keep it as a sanctuary for the deer. Not only will the deer on your properties use it to escape pressure and stay on your land, but so will deer from adjacent properties when the pressure goes up. I'd not go in it, at all. Instead, figure out where to hunt the edges of it and the travel corridors to and from on different winds and conditions and do that. Give the deer a place to hide where they feel safe, don't go in there, and the deer will stay. If it's really that thick, you MIGHT get lucky - once - and get a shot at something decent, but the greatest odds are that you'll just push things out and they won't come back in there because they don't see it as a safe place to hide.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I killed several deer with buckshot when I hunted with dogs and in thickets as a young hunter.

It's important to try different loads and chokes to see what patterns best. I always used double ought and my dad used #1 buckshot.

Both killed well inside of 40 yards or so. 00 would exit the body more often,but #1 would always work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

Now, that said, I would not hunt that 10 acres. If you have that, then keep it as a sanctuary for the deer. Not only will the deer on your properties use it to escape pressure and stay on your land, but so will deer from adjacent properties when the pressure goes up. I'd not go in it, at all. Instead, figure out where to hunt the edges of it and the travel corridors to and from on different winds and conditions and do that. Give the deer a place to hide where they feel safe, don't go in there, and the deer will stay. If it's really that thick, you MIGHT get lucky - once - and get a shot at something decent, but the greatest odds are that you'll just push things out and they won't come back in there because they don't see it as a safe place to hide.

This.

Hunt a good edge and use a rifle. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I used it[00] almost exclusively in my first years of hunting and mostly with an H & R single shot.
Knowing it's limitations is key.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Thanks

Like some others have suggested I think I'd leave that 10 acres alone. But here's some pics of TriBall results.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/photos.html

http://www.dixieslugs.com/images/standard_order_triball_3in.pdf

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you could ask about 60 bucks taken from SE Alabama that question....they'd tell you.....DAMNED EFFECTIVE!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I once shot an 8pt that would qualify as a dink and found 8 00 pellets in various parts of his body. They had encapsulated and had puss in most of the capsules. I'll never use buckshot because of that.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've never used it before. With that said, I'd be using a slug. Slugs are bad ass. We're not allowed to use a rifle, shotgun only with slugs only. No buckshot.

Not sure about your tree situation, but I'd be trying to find a tree to climb and get above the thick schit.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.