Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 16bore
I believe plastic shrouds have proven to be a non issue

I personally replaced quite a few cracked and broken ones.

The bolt shrouds don't break on their own.

A broken shroud is not DANGEROUS to anyone.

Mine is 13 yrs. old--still in tact.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I wouldn't shoot a Tikka if you gave it to me.

I hear you don't even have to pull the trigger to shoot a Remington. LMAO

Trystan

Lol

I've read about that and all the accuracy issues with Remingtons on the internet, but have never experienced any of those issues with mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 16bore
I believe plastic shrouds have proven to be a non issue

I personally replaced quite a few cracked and broken ones.

The bolt shrouds don't break on their own.

A broken shroud is not DANGEROUS to anyone.

Mine is 13 yrs. old--still in tact.

Jerry

They break when being careless with disassembly. And Tikka changed it on the new model. I've yet to hear an ad on the radio for a Tikka shroud recall.

700 vs T3
30-06 vs 270
Yadda vs yadda

Same old same old.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would take a tikka. I don't think the stocks are either rifle are great and don't care for the plastic trigger guard on the tikka but it's a relatively easy fix with the mountain tactical trigger guard which then makes it better than the Remington. The shroud is a nonissue now on the T3x since it's metal now.

Rob
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka. I am a 700 fan, but I hate a safety that does not lock the bolt. This year, my Daughter almost lost a deer because the bolt got bumped up. Have often found the same on my newer Rem's. From now on it will only be my older 700's.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just don't really care for the balance on the 700 MR-series rifles, nor the Ti stock ergos. I actually prefer the standard sporter contour SPS SS. I'd take the money saved over the new MR SS rifle and put it toward a cut/crown if desired and a 2lb Timney 510. Then I'd float the tupperware and bed the action in Devcon. If I wanted to drop some money at a later time on a good stock, I'd order a McMillan, likely an Edge Classic. My luck with Remington SS factory barrels has always been pretty good when they are bedded.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
A guy at Beretta told me Tikka does not use Sako barrels. Owned by Sako, but different components altogether.

Was he mistaken?

P
I think so, but it makes no matter given how they shoot.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I wouldn't shoot a Tikka if you gave it to me.
Don't worry, as easy as they sell, you will likely never be faced with that.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=JPro]I just don't really care for the balance on the 700 MR-series rifles, nor the Ti stock ergos. I actually prefer the standard sporter contour SPS SS. I'd take the money saved over the new MR SS rifle and put it toward a cut/crown if desired and a 2lb Timney 510. Then I'd float the tupperware and bed the action in Devcon. If I wanted to drop some money at a later time on a good stock, I'd order a McMillan, likely an Edge Classic. My luck with Remington SS factory barrels has always been pretty good when they are bedded[quote]

Can't argue that one bit.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by jwall
A guy at Beretta told me Tikka does not use Sako barrels. Owned by Sako, but different components altogether.

Was he mistaken?
P

Unless I'm mistaken Mule Deer wrote recently that Sako makes the barrels for the Tikka.

Jerry

I remember the same thing Jerry. In fact I believe Mule Deer said he learned that while touring the Sako factory where Tikkas are built?

Trystan

YEP !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've looked at the upgrades on the T3x and they have made changes the public wanted. On the other hand, I would be reluctant to own a Rem. 700 until their trigger issue is thoroughly fixed.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They fixed it, then recalled it again.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I've looked at the upgrades on the T3x and they have made changes the public wanted. On the other hand, I would be reluctant to own a Rem. 700 until their trigger issue is thoroughly fixed.

You can always buy a 783... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Tikka, nice triggers, good barrels and excellent accuracy.

If you do go the T3 route, you may want to consider a leftover T3,(priced at $449-$550), over the T3x($700+) as prices are significantly less and the savings could help/pay for a decent stock upgrade.

Just grabbed another T3 SS Lite in 30-06; now thinking that might have been a mistake. Maybe I should have got the .270 or the 7RM ? LOL

SD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This is where I am as well.

I am a fan and owner of both brands, but always change trigger assembly on the 700. When you look for a custom trigger now days they're saying does not replace the new Remington triggers.

This is the stopper for me! I would not want a "new" Remington until I could find a custom trigger assembly to replace the factory problem...

Regarding Tikka, the only issue they have that I cannot live with is the recoil pads. This is an easy fix, just buy a "LimbSaver" prefit pad, unscrew the original with a phillips head, use the same factory screws for the replacement.

It is a little freaky when you look at the removed factory pad and realize the interior is completely hard plastic X pattern with only about 1/8" thick covering of rubber facade they are passing off as "recoil" pad, almost fraud.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by StrayDog
This is where I am as well.

I am a fan and owner of both brands, but always change trigger assembly on the 700. When you look for a custom trigger now days they're saying does not replace the new Remington triggers.

This is the stopper for me! I would not want a "new" Remington until I could find a custom trigger assembly to replace the factory problem...

Regarding Tikka, the only issue they have that I cannot live with is the recoil pads. This is an easy fix, just buy a "LimbSaver" prefit pad, unscrew the original with a phillips head, use the same factory screws for the replacement.

It is a little freaky when you look at the removed factory pad and realize the interior is completely hard plastic X pattern with only about 1/8" thick covering of rubber facade they are passing off as "recoil" pad, almost fraud.

Just looked at a SS T3x , very nice gun.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I have not yet had one in my hands, I have heard they are more grippy than the slippery T3 stock, but if they'e nicer than the T3, and with the price difference, may hold a bit of sway over the mountain TI.

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tikka barrels made by Sako.

I read somewhere that the barrels come out the same box on the assembly line and can be fitted to either a Sako or a Tikka in no specific order.

I prefer Tikka to the 700. I know the 700 is a good action but the rifle needs finishing if to get the best out of it. That's not necessary with a Tikka.

As for triggers - how long have they been making 700s? And they STILL have a rubbish trigger on them! I cannot understand why they don't just go to Timmney or similar & get them to supply the trigger unit as they seem incapable of making a good one themselves.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mlg
Tikka barrels made by Sako.

I read somewhere that the barrels come out the same box on the assembly line and can be fitted to either a Sako or a Tikka in no specific order.

I prefer Tikka to the 700. I know the 700 is a good action but the rifle needs finishing if to get the best out of it. That's not necessary with a Tikka.

As for triggers - how long have they been making 700s? And they STILL have a rubbish trigger on them! I cannot understand why they don't just go to Timmney or similar & get them to supply the trigger unit as they seem incapable of making a good one themselves.

Because they probably save .50 cents on each trigger building it themselves. I guess it is cheaper to pay off lawsuits,lawyers and have your product trashed then doing it the right way. Remington has nice designs(except triggers) and has created great cartridges but otherwise are run by imbeciles and major league ones at that.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.