No.

Tikka:
Much better machining
Slicker operating
Dovetailed top for rings
Inline feeding with a magazine
Sako barrels
Superb hunting triggers

The only thing I would upgrade to, is a McMillan Sako Hunter, in EDGE. The Sako Hunter stocks fits me pretty well..or a Hightech stock, if you prefer "straight stocks".

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
A guy at Beretta told me Tikka does not use Sako barrels. Owned by Sako, but different components altogether.

Was he mistaken?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
A guy at Beretta told me Tikka does not use Sako barrels. Owned by Sako, but different components altogether.

Was he mistaken?

P

I wouldn't put much stock on what any Beretta rep told me. That said I understand they use Sako Barrels but maybe in Berettas maniacal attempt to cut costs they use other barrels. Their Accuracy tells otherwise

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Northman
No.

Tikka:
Much better machining
Slicker operating
Dovetailed top for rings
Sako barrels
Superb hunting triggers

This. Add the 70 degree bolt throw vs. the 90 degree Remington which can cause you to run taller rings just to clear the scope.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nobody tries to get a Tikka to shoot like a Remington.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would still pick the 700. Just for the simple reason that I grew up with them and that's what I like. I had a tikka in a 243 and it was a nice rifle that shot very well. Still didn't feel to me like a 700 does. I'd say pick the one that feels best to you as I think they are both fine rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ky221
I would still pick the 700. Just for the simple reason that I grew up with them and that's what I like. I had a tikka in a 243 and it was a nice rifle that shot very well. Still didn't feel to me like a 700 does. I'd say pick the one that feels best to you as I think they are both fine rifles.

+1

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 16bore
Nobody tries to get a Tikka to shoot like a Remington.

Ha! so true....

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger

+1

+2.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having said that, there are certain combos I'd prefer. 7Mag in a 700. 6.5 Swede in a Tikka. 7-08 in a 700 mountain rifle. 243 in a 20" youth R700 or in a Montana. 30-06 Tikka T3 Lite or Montana. 270 in a SS 70 Featherweight or Montana. 308 Montana.

You could say I'm a wishy-washy fan boy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SKane

+1

+2.

+3 No fan of plastic shrouds, for one...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Was he mistaken?
P

Unless I'm mistaken Mule Deer wrote recently that Sako makes the barrels for the Tikka.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jwall

Was he mistaken?
P

Unless I'm mistaken Mule Deer wrote recently that Sako makes the barrels for the Tikka.

Jerry

I remember the same thing Jerry. In fact I believe Mule Deer said he learned that while touring the Sako factory where Tikkas are built?

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Sitka deer,

The T3X has a metal shroud

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Trystan

Sitka deer,

The T3X has a metal shroud

Trystan

Thank you, did not realize they had changed that.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M700 ... The ss mtn rifle in 25-06 I had was slick and accurate.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A vote for the 700. The Rem 700 action has withstood the test of time as strong and reliable. Lots of "high end" rifles being built on the 700.
Not aware of any good gunsmiths building on the Tikka.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

+1

+2.

+3, or whatever we're up to on the plus count.

In my case, I own a T-3 Varmint, 204 Ruger. Shoots lights out, but it doesn't feel like the 700's that I'm most accustom too AND I can't single load thru the ejection port.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe plastic shrouds have proven to be a non issue

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
FWIW mine cracked.

Replaced with the aluminum from hinterland

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by fishdog52
A vote for the 700. The Rem 700 action has withstood the test of time as strong and reliable. Lots of "high end" rifles being built on the 700.
Not aware of any good gunsmiths building on the Tikka.

I have a Tikka built by Crescent Customs and Jim Kobe. I have also seen Tikkas built by Long rifles Inc, Short Action Customs, Dennis Adams, and more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW mine cracked.

Replaced with the aluminum from hinterland

The bummer being they stopped making the colored ones and I had a red one on the 30-06 I let my brother in law talk me out of.

Ex brother in law now. It's not coming back any time soon.....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That's a bummer for sure. Mine was just the standard black.

I'm glad to see tikka is addressing the issue.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn! I own several of both rifles, i like them both for their own reasons, it seems i hunt with my Tikka's more so I vote Tikka but I doctor My Tikkas up with aluminum shrouds and trigger guards along with stainless action screws, these upgrades arent neccessary but i do enjoy them so they are worth it to Me......Good luck with your choice.....Hb

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The newer Tikka's still use that 3 shot plastic mag? That wht I hate the most on my 95 series Tikka's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't hate on Tikka like some, but it's 700 for me by a mile. They just fit me better, and I just plain prefer the 700 action.

I kinda hate to hear all the "out of the box accuracy" praises for Tikka. It's true that both I've owned shot very well with no tinkering....but about an hour's work and half an ounce of common sense can have most any 700(even those that initially seem problematic) shooting better than I can.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's another fella in Australia making 10 round 223 mags that will take VLD's kissing the lands. He's monkeying with a lot of stuff. Flush mags being another. I'm not convinced that there isn't enough "hole" there for a slightly staggered box to hold more. Think it's in the works. Anyway, here's the email.

Seems the USA has more of the "haters"

Hello happy T3 owners…

Firstly, I apologise for, yet, another email. And, I’m sorry that I now know the right questions to ask, given the overwhelming response to my previous email (thank you so much).

It is clear that there is a very strong demand for reduce capacity mags (less than 10 rounds). Many reasons are protrusion depth, or the mass of the mag when fully loaded (or even unloaded), etc. I am sold that I need to accommodate, and I thank those very keen supporters who are willing to pay NOW to expedite development. But first things first…

a) There is a lot of comments or questions, or suggestions, about making a 4 round WSM, or a 5 round, etc. Considering any mag, many of these mags fit multiple cartridges. So, a 5 round 30-06 might only be a 3 round WSM. A 4 round WSM is the most asked for of the short long mag, so that would make it a 6 round 30-06.
b) I will be making a 10 round and 6 round 223 mag. The 6 round 223 may only fit 5 204 Ruger, but we’ll see (I should hold 6x 204, but I can’t guarantee yet).
c) I will make a 10 round and 6 round in 308. The 6 round is to cater for the EU shooters that participate in field shooting etc (their strings are 6 shots).
d) I’ll make a 6 round in 6.5x55 (ie. the “long taper”) mag. Note this magazine has been proven to also feed 22-250, but an owner would need to cut back the rear of follower and glue in a plastic spacer at rear.
e) It is NOT CLEAR if there are many wanting the 6.5x55 mag in 10 round – many that said they wanted the 10 round have replied to say they want the 6 now…
f) The 30-06 will be a 10 round and 6 round for the 30-06 cartridge. This should equate to 8 and 4 WSM rounds…
g) I know a few of you strictly want a 4 round or 5 round mag. Unless I can sell 100 or so, It just isn’t worth it to try that size when a 6 round mag should only be approx. 6mm deeper.
h) 10 round prototypes have proven excellent. We now just need to invest a bit more time and money to develop the 6 round mags…

Somebody asked about dimensions for reduced capacity mags. These will be firmed up next week…

Not that we can afford this, given the MASSIVE outlays we’ve endured thus far through prototyping and testing, but I'll be offering a nice little discount of any magazine of the next generation of mags above, where the buyer pays in advance of production. It helps me to help you. Please advise per below…

Very sorry to ask, and I know many of you have replied in the past…but given this news:

- Can you please reply to me if you wish to order any of the mags I’m about to make (listed above).

- Please specify:
o Mag cartridge? 223, 308, 6.5x55, 30-06/WSM (note, all family of mentioned cartridges are suitable).
o Capacity? 10 or 6 rounds.
o Quantity?
o Willing to pay up front pre-production (Yes or No).

Again, I am sorry for the questions, and I thank you for the support and feedback.

Dave

Hello T3 owners…

This is just a quick update, as a few things are happening you might like to know about…

I know many of you are keen for the Floor Plates (bottom metal) and extendable bolt knobs. Many thanks for the interest and support. Sorry to say, these 2 items are currently on hold while I sort this next bit of mag news out…

223 Gen 3 Mags The 223 magazine still powers along as being a very successful magazine. The mag was recently produced in 2 finishes – matte and a semi-gloss. The semi-gloss was to offer a “wipe clean” ability many hunters wanted, given the matte finish required wiping with a damp cloth.

We recently release a follower modification to the 223 mag which would allow the mag to give greater ability to cycle the 204 or a 222 cartridges. So, for the YEARS I told people the 204 and 222 won’t work, this news is now getting obsolete. Email me for the instruction…

308 Gen 3 Mags are still doing well. Recently, during development of the G4 “long taper” (6.5x55) mag, we produced some early mags that had some 308 internals – with the main difference being that one could load VLVLD (Very Long Very Low Drag) type projectiles in the mag. I had near a dozen variants of these. I have 2 remaining that I must keep for cross checking until the Gen 4 “long taper” mags are ready. In a couple of weeks, these 2 last prototypes will be available for a very cheap price…

6.5x55 Gen 4 Mags, which are actually called our “Long Taper” mags, will take most any case that is long with a reasonably aggressive taper in it. AND, to my surprise, ALL OF YOU 22-250 shooters out there may be happy to know that this mag will run those cases up to a capacity of approx 8-9. The 250 case catch is the bullets need to be loaded LONG – all those 22-250 shooters running 50 grain projectiles may not have a lot of joy unless they work the bolt FAST. The main issue for 250 cases out of these mags is the case length – the bullet tip is only just out of the receiver mag slot as the case exits the feed lips. However, the intended purpose of this mag is to run x55 cartridges, as it does so perfectly – I could not be happier. Standby for availability update coming soon. The only threat to this production run will be pre-order quantity commitment.

30-06, 284, WSM Gen 4 Mags. Are still proving a very wanted item. Producing these in 30-06 is obvious, much is the WSM capacity. However, why the 284? Well, the 284 is becoming a VERY popular cartridge to rebarrel the shot-out barrel unit in due course. I am doing this myself, as are a few of you, so I have your solution…coming… Standby for availability update coming soon.

5-6 Shot Gen 4 Mags??? I am getting a lot of enquiries about wanting 5 or 6 shot mags. However, the reason for them are mixed… Some say they want 5 so the mag is flush (which it actually can’t be unless only 3 shot or so). Or, they want 5 to comply with a match rule. Or no more than 6 if the larger calibre mags due to overall weight. The point is, should the mags be 5 or 6 rounds? AND, in the case of 30-06 WSM mag ,is it 5 or 6 of which calibre? As an example, a 5 round 30-06 will only hold 4 rounds of WSM.

So, do T3 owners want 5 or 6 round mags, and if they know, to which cartridge?

Today, Saturday, we just completed our first mock-up of a 5 round magazine in 223 that will hold 5 rounds of 204. It looks great.

A 5 round mag:

- In 223 will go ahead (not 6) because the main issue is people just want it a shallow as possible (minimal protrusion) unit.

- We are not seeing a lot of requests for this mag in 308. Please email your thoughts. And suggest if should be 5 or 6 shots.

- In 6.5x55 (long taper) I’ve had reasonable interest in this 10 shot mag. I have NOT heard from many for a 5 or 6 shot. Please, email your interest in a 5 or 6 shot, and explain reason why (carry weight, match regulations (which match?), bulk, etc.).

- In 30-06/WSM, it is worth noting the 10 shot 30-06 will only be an 8 shot WSM. We will produce a reduce capacity mag, but there is something to consider… When talking about making a 5 or 6 shot, one must be clear for which cartridge they are referring to – the 06 or the WSM. Please advise your thoughts on this ASAP.

For the above 5 round (or 6) mag clarifications, please get back to me ASAP, but also please note I can’t produce a mag for EVERY use, so it will be a case of majority rule.

There will be a Gen 4 long taper and 06/magnum mags external design change – to clearly distinguish these from the Gen 3 223 and 308. More on this later…along with pics of the 2 new Gen 4 mags (long taper and 06/magnum).

I hope you find the above of interest and you can continue to support me (which is greatly appreciated).

Thanks
Dave

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The 700 is basically a bank vault. Has served the US Military in various forms for decades. I grew up shooting them and prefer them. Nothing wrong with Tikkas I've owned a few. Nice rifles just a preference thing for me. Are 700's perfect? Not hardly but what is?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
700 for me.

μολὼν λαβέ
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have purchased a dozen or more 700's in the past 10 years or so and every one shot MOA right out of the box so i really dont see any accuracy advantage with the Tikkas i have owned (which also shot MOA right out of the box) almost any newly CNC manufactured rifle these days will shoot MOA right out of the box, ive seen great accuracy out of Ruger Americans and TC Venture's which are by no means high dollar rifles........Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Tikka stock just feels like a POS. Almost as bad as a Ruger American.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've hunted with a Tikkas T3 for 11 years and love the rifle. While I'm certain the Tikkas T3X would be hard to beat I'd take the Rem Mountain SS because I've got a Tikkas already and there's nothing wrong with trying something new. grin

Trystan

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

+1

+2.

+3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MagMarc

+1

+2.

+3

I have BOTH, hunt the Tikka T3 Lite SS much more.
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
The Tikka stock just feels like a POS. Almost as bad as a Ruger American.

Some people like cottage cheese, yuck!

I prefer Cream cheese.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Honestly fellas I hunt my Tikka T 3 Lite SS 270 more than any other.

I do rotate and hunt others but the Tikka more.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I buy American-made when I have a choice

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Huntsman -

I appreciate that. Do we buy anything foreign made ?
If we have American options.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Model 700 Mountain Rifle SS in 7-08. Love the rifle, just not as big a fan of the caliber as I thought I'd be. I've held on to it hoping the 7-08 would grow on me, but so far it hasn't. At any rate, I've only had one Tikka, a 223 Compact, and it shot very good. I loaned it to a friend for his kid to deer hunt with, and the boy killed his first deer with it, and wanted the rifle. I sold it, and bought a Model 7 stainless in 223. Guess that shows what I prefer. I'm just a fan of the Model 700/Model 7 class of rifles.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of the 2 - 700 because that's what we've had around and they're pretty easy to use and get shooting well.

I will say tho - I'm pretty enamored with my Kimber Montana and it would have to be something really special for me to go away from that platform right now.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take a T3 over a 700 anytime. However I'm not a 700 guy, much prefer CRF like a Mod 70 or Kimber.

The stock on the T3 doesn't bother me other than the recoil pad which is easy to replace. I much prefer the Tikka stock to most other factory synthetics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elelbean
Also, any reasons why?

I would. Why? It's just a much nicer rifle, in my opinion. I like and own several of both; but, I like the 700 Mountain SS much better.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For about the same price one could get a Tikkas and put a McMillan stock on it and you'd have a Mountain rifle that weighs about 3/4 of a pound less than the Remington. I'd take the Remington but it'd stay in the truck and the Tikkas would no doubt come along on Mountain Excursions.

Trystan

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have been a Rem 700 guy for most of my life. I purchased my first Tikka (a 595) about 20 years ago and all I had to do was scope it and go shoot, no messing around with bedding, trigger adjustment or replacement. I mostly kept on using and trying to get the Rems to shoot as well as the Tikka. I ended you buying a T-3 a few years ago but sold it because it had "no soul" although it shot even better than my 595. I tried T-3's a couple of more times and ended up selling them for the same reason "no soul", even though they shot great.

Recently I purchased a new 700 and a new T-3 within days of each other, I to replace the trigger ($125) in the 700, I spent quite a few dollars in components trying to find a load that would group 5 under an inch consistently (never happened), and the action was rough (SPS finish). With the Tikka I put a scope on it, backed the trigger adjustment screw out for a 2# trigger pull, picked up 4 different loads I had developed for another rifle in the same caliber and proceeded to shoot under one-inch 5 shot groups with all four loads. And the action is slicker than Montana gumbo.

Soul or "no soul" I am a Tikka fan.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have several T3s. I vote 700 all the way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Give me a Model 70 or Ruger 77 over either.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not me IMHO ya just can't beat a TIKKA.I sold all 4 Rem700's and replaced with Tikka T3 Superlites in .223Rem .243Win .270Win and .30-06Spr...I will be hunting Elk with the .30-06 and 165grNPT's this year...ScottyO.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Scotty -

AS much of a 700 fanatic as I have been...
I'll not be buying a NEW 700 until the trigger system has been permanently fixed.

I have a Tikka T 3 Lite SS and I have no plans of selling/trading it.

However, I've also become a FAN of the Win 70 Black Shadow--NOT the Ultimate Shadow. I have no qualms of buying other Black Shadows.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I wouldn't shoot a Tikka if you gave it to me.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'll take the Remington please.

Good Shooting!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

I hear you don't even have to pull the trigger to shoot a Remington. LMAO

Trystan

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I personally replaced quite a few cracked and broken ones.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My first rifle, was a Rem 700.. Scope base holes where drilled off center.

Upgraded after that...

Last edited by Northman; 11/03/16.

The US in the last 40 years:

Socialism for big corporations and military industrial complex

&

Rugged individualism for the individual.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
T3 for the easy win.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Interesting results.

Some people want accuracy and are ok with plastic stuff.

Other people won't consider it, and are ok with a bit less accuracy.

Yes - Remy mass produces and barrel quality, and chambering are not the level of precision that the Tikka's are.

Tikka on the other hand doesn't have the steel, and durability the Remy has, and there stocks are cheaper as well. I've worn down the magazine lips on 2 or 3 mags in my tikka's I use for PD shooting.

Interesting what happens when 2 makers target the same price, and one puts on cheaper components to counter balance putting more manhours into making it accurate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Trystan

Too damn funny

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Interesting results.

Some people want accuracy and are ok with plastic stuff.

Other people won't consider it, and are ok with a bit less accuracy.

Yes - Remy mass produces and barrel quality, and chambering are not the level of precision that the Tikka's are.

Tikka on the other hand doesn't have the steel, and durability the Remy has, and there stocks are cheaper as well. I've worn down the magazine lips on 2 or 3 mags in my tikka's I use for PD shooting.

Interesting what happens when 2 makers target the same price, and one puts on cheaper components to counter balance putting more manhours into making it accurate.

I don't see how the Remington stock is better. Not by a long shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would go with the 700. I don't think I'll ever buy another non-USA made gun. There are USA made options that match or beat the competition in price, quality and performance.

Is Sako/Tikka/Baretta customer service really as bad as folks say it is?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dont know many Tikka owners that have ever needed it. Kinda like the Maytag repair man. Remington's CS is evidently pretty good because they get a lot of schit sent back.

I have no problems buying a European rifle from a store sitting on American soil, owned by an American, and sold to me by an American who is likely underpaid but enjoys selling guns enough that he or she is willing to show up to work in an attempt to put food on his or her table.

Perspective.......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The bolt shrouds don't break on their own.

A broken shroud is not DANGEROUS to anyone.

Mine is 13 yrs. old--still in tact.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

Trystan

Lol

I've read about that and all the accuracy issues with Remingtons on the internet, but have never experienced any of those issues with mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The bolt shrouds don't break on their own.

A broken shroud is not DANGEROUS to anyone.

Mine is 13 yrs. old--still in tact.

Jerry

They break when being careless with disassembly. And Tikka changed it on the new model. I've yet to hear an ad on the radio for a Tikka shroud recall.

700 vs T3
30-06 vs 270
Yadda vs yadda

Same old same old.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I would take a tikka. I don't think the stocks are either rifle are great and don't care for the plastic trigger guard on the tikka but it's a relatively easy fix with the mountain tactical trigger guard which then makes it better than the Remington. The shroud is a nonissue now on the T3x since it's metal now.

Rob
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka. I am a 700 fan, but I hate a safety that does not lock the bolt. This year, my Daughter almost lost a deer because the bolt got bumped up. Have often found the same on my newer Rem's. From now on it will only be my older 700's.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just don't really care for the balance on the 700 MR-series rifles, nor the Ti stock ergos. I actually prefer the standard sporter contour SPS SS. I'd take the money saved over the new MR SS rifle and put it toward a cut/crown if desired and a 2lb Timney 510. Then I'd float the tupperware and bed the action in Devcon. If I wanted to drop some money at a later time on a good stock, I'd order a McMillan, likely an Edge Classic. My luck with Remington SS factory barrels has always been pretty good when they are bedded.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Was he mistaken?

P
I think so, but it makes no matter given how they shoot.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Don't worry, as easy as they sell, you will likely never be faced with that.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=JPro]I just don't really care for the balance on the 700 MR-series rifles, nor the Ti stock ergos. I actually prefer the standard sporter contour SPS SS. I'd take the money saved over the new MR SS rifle and put it toward a cut/crown if desired and a 2lb Timney 510. Then I'd float the tupperware and bed the action in Devcon. If I wanted to drop some money at a later time on a good stock, I'd order a McMillan, likely an Edge Classic. My luck with Remington SS factory barrels has always been pretty good when they are bedded[quote]

Can't argue that one bit.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Was he mistaken?
P

Jerry

I remember the same thing Jerry. In fact I believe Mule Deer said he learned that while touring the Sako factory where Tikkas are built?

Trystan

YEP !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've looked at the upgrades on the T3x and they have made changes the public wanted. On the other hand, I would be reluctant to own a Rem. 700 until their trigger issue is thoroughly fixed.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They fixed it, then recalled it again.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I've looked at the upgrades on the T3x and they have made changes the public wanted. On the other hand, I would be reluctant to own a Rem. 700 until their trigger issue is thoroughly fixed.

You can always buy a 783... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Tikka, nice triggers, good barrels and excellent accuracy.

If you do go the T3 route, you may want to consider a leftover T3,(priced at $449-$550), over the T3x($700+) as prices are significantly less and the savings could help/pay for a decent stock upgrade.

Just grabbed another T3 SS Lite in 30-06; now thinking that might have been a mistake. Maybe I should have got the .270 or the 7RM ? LOL

SD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This is where I am as well.

I am a fan and owner of both brands, but always change trigger assembly on the 700. When you look for a custom trigger now days they're saying does not replace the new Remington triggers.

This is the stopper for me! I would not want a "new" Remington until I could find a custom trigger assembly to replace the factory problem...

Regarding Tikka, the only issue they have that I cannot live with is the recoil pads. This is an easy fix, just buy a "LimbSaver" prefit pad, unscrew the original with a phillips head, use the same factory screws for the replacement.

It is a little freaky when you look at the removed factory pad and realize the interior is completely hard plastic X pattern with only about 1/8" thick covering of rubber facade they are passing off as "recoil" pad, almost fraud.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by StrayDog
This is where I am as well.

I am a fan and owner of both brands, but always change trigger assembly on the 700. When you look for a custom trigger now days they're saying does not replace the new Remington triggers.

This is the stopper for me! I would not want a "new" Remington until I could find a custom trigger assembly to replace the factory problem...

Regarding Tikka, the only issue they have that I cannot live with is the recoil pads. This is an easy fix, just buy a "LimbSaver" prefit pad, unscrew the original with a phillips head, use the same factory screws for the replacement.

It is a little freaky when you look at the removed factory pad and realize the interior is completely hard plastic X pattern with only about 1/8" thick covering of rubber facade they are passing off as "recoil" pad, almost fraud.

Just looked at a SS T3x , very nice gun.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I have not yet had one in my hands, I have heard they are more grippy than the slippery T3 stock, but if they'e nicer than the T3, and with the price difference, may hold a bit of sway over the mountain TI.

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tikka barrels made by Sako.

I read somewhere that the barrels come out the same box on the assembly line and can be fitted to either a Sako or a Tikka in no specific order.

I prefer Tikka to the 700. I know the 700 is a good action but the rifle needs finishing if to get the best out of it. That's not necessary with a Tikka.

As for triggers - how long have they been making 700s? And they STILL have a rubbish trigger on them! I cannot understand why they don't just go to Timmney or similar & get them to supply the trigger unit as they seem incapable of making a good one themselves.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mlg
Tikka barrels made by Sako.

I read somewhere that the barrels come out the same box on the assembly line and can be fitted to either a Sako or a Tikka in no specific order.

I prefer Tikka to the 700. I know the 700 is a good action but the rifle needs finishing if to get the best out of it. That's not necessary with a Tikka.

As for triggers - how long have they been making 700s? And they STILL have a rubbish trigger on them! I cannot understand why they don't just go to Timmney or similar & get them to supply the trigger unit as they seem incapable of making a good one themselves.

Because they probably save .50 cents on each trigger building it themselves. I guess it is cheaper to pay off lawsuits,lawyers and have your product trashed then doing it the right way. Remington has nice designs(except triggers) and has created great cartridges but otherwise are run by imbeciles and major league ones at that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Northman
No.

Tikka:
Much better machining
Slicker operating
Dovetailed top for rings
Sako barrels
Superb hunting triggers

The only thing I would upgrade to, is a McMillan Sako Hunter, in EDGE. The Sako Hunter stocks fits me pretty well..or a Hightech stock, if you prefer "straight stocks".

this

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Picked up a T3x stainless today , Field and Stream had a sale going and knocking 100 bucks off the regular price . Its in the boring 30-06 and compared to other T3's i have owned in the past it is better IMHO.

The stock feels great and is grippy, there is less flex and I mean less flex in the foreend then there is in my B&C Sako A7 roughtech stock. It's a keeper, I am going to get a aluminum trigger guard for it and buy another magazine and call it good. I might put it in an Edge but this thing is quite light as is. I think they fixed the things that I always replaced namely the shroud and recoil lug.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Congrats on an exciting new gun,
Did Tikka make improvements in the T3x recoil pad over the older T3 pad?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Supposedly they have made improvements in the recoil pad over the T3. Instead of the somewhat hard rubber, the T3x is a bit softer. I put a Limbsaver($26) on my new T3 SS in 30-06 as recoil is a bit more stout than my other 06s.

Good to hear that the stock has improved too along with the other refinements like the steel lug, opened ejection port and aluminum bolt shroud.

I went T3 as I plan to replace the stock at some point so $542 shipped wasn't too bad a price on the old model(JRTB320). The scope is a Conquest 3-9x40 in DNZ low mount.

SD

T3 SS Lite 30-06

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell no. I actually like the older model better than the SL. $542 is ridiculous.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
mlg,

Tikka and Sako barrels are all made in the same room, on the same machinery in the same factory in Riihimaki, Finland. They're all made the same way, including lapping the bores of heavy-contour barrels to make them smoother AND extremely consistent in diameter. There is no difference in the barrels put on Tikka and Sako rifles. If that's what you mean by "the barrels come out of the same box on the assembly line," then you're right. However, I didn't see any in boxes. Instead they were on racks, and moved around mostly by automated machinery.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
SD65,

The T3x recoil pads I've seen and felt were considerably softer than the T3 pads. Dunno if they're as soft as Limbsavers but definitely in the same class as Decelerators.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Pad appears to be softer about decelerator soft, no need for a replacement IMHO. Trigger was a breeze to adjust as always and I set mine to 2.5 lbs. 40inch lbs on the action screws to retighten. I do not see a benefit to the loading port because it is not exactly easy to load stuff in my A7 which has a larger port. Overall very very pleased with the quality.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Also, any reasons why?

I would. If the Remington shoots, then you've got a great rifle there with endless ability to customize it (stocks, triggers, scope mounts, etc)... if it doesn't shoot then it's a great platform for a rebarrel.

The Tikka just sorta is what it is.

That said, if I had to bet the farm on which one shot better out of the box, Tikka all the way.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Average Joe could buy a Tikka, mounts, scope, box of ammo, zero the damn thing and have enough left for several years of hunting.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Average Joe could buy a Tikka, mounts, scope, box of ammo, zero the damn thing and have enough left for several years of hunting.

I am going to buy another one in 243 after hunting season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know that I could pass on the $542 T3 30-06 myself...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Like this one? I put it together today.

Superlite 7mm-08, Leupold VX2 4-12 CDS, familiar Talleys.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We'll see how she shoots.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Was he mistaken?
P

Jerry

Trystan

YEP !

Pharmseller- I'm repeating this plus M D's post IN CASE you missed them.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mlg,

Tikka and Sako barrels are all made in the same room, on the same machinery in the same factory in Riihimaki, Finland. They're all made the same way, including lapping the bores of heavy-contour barrels to make them smoother AND extremely consistent in diameter. There is no difference in the barrels put on Tikka and Sako rifles. If that's what you mean by "the barrels come out of the same box on the assembly line," then you're right. However, I didn't see any in boxes. Instead they were on racks, and moved around mostly by automated machinery.

There ya go straight from the horse's ....um. Mouth grin
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know that I could pass on the $542 T3 30-06 myself...

My LGS has a few left at $469 plus tax...I bought the last 270 they had because I'm gay like that.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Tikka all the way. Sold all the Remingtons. Also I don't care for Remington as a company.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
mlg,

Good enough for me.

I just finished putting together my most recent T3, this one is a Superlite in 7mm-08.

[Linked Image]

She has a range day in the near future.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would take pretty much any rifle over the Remington. Why? Don't get me wrong, the 700 is a well respected; often copied; hard working tool. The help desk / customer support at Remington is insulting and a whole other kind of tool. I would just rather not send any money their way. That has been my experience anyway, YMMV

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
mlg,

Mule Deer,

Sorry, I probably didn't put that well. That's exactly what I meant. Same barrels for both....the article I read, I had a vague memory of barrels in a box - but you have been there......

Cheers

mlg

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It pains me to say it but honestly I've seen so much junk from Remington in the past 5 years that I would get a tikka if i didnt want to monkey with anything. That being said...im a rifle looney so...

Id buy the rem, get a set of talley lw mounts, a timiney trigger and McM stock...id see how it shot and scope the bore...i may end up buying a new barrel

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Anyone bothered by the 2 position safety on the Tikka T3x?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not at all, it locks the bolt and the rifle doesn't fire as soon as you take it off safe.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone bothered by the 2 position safety on the Tikka T3x?

It doesn't matter to me at all IF it locks the bolt. It's also nice if it doesn't fire w/o my help. smirk

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just shot two new Rem 700s. One was an sps 243 youth. First 2 five shot groups with 105 Hornady's both went under an inch. And the trigger is stiff as heck, so thinking I can get it perking better.

Other was an old stock XCR II in 7mm Remington. Only shot 1 group myself with that one and it put 3 rounds of PPU 140 grain factory stuff under an inch. Nice trigger actually on that one too.

I get lucky like this with Remingtons.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have yet to own a T3x, but overall think Tikkas are the best rifles available for under $1,000. They are super accurate out of the box, reliable and feed much slicker than most 700s and for that matter most other rifles. I personally believe overall quality is better than Remingtons.

I don't like the small ejection port and hard, uncomfortable pad of the T3, but the T3x appears better in those regards.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
On T3 anecdote: my 12 YO daughter, unknown to me pushed her T3 barrel first through the Namibian dirt on a crawling stalk, filling the entire barrel and packing the bolt face with sand. After explaining to her why not to do that, I mostly got the sand out of the barrel and used a knife to dig it mostly out of the boltface. She then shot a 3/4" group to test zero and killed a Springbok with it a few hours later.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Scotty -

AS much of a 700 fanatic as I have been...
I'll not be buying a NEW 700 until the trigger system has been permanently fixed.

I have a Tikka T 3 Lite SS and I have no plans of selling/trading it.

However, I've also become a FAN of the Win 70 Black Shadow--NOT the Ultimate Shadow. I have no qualms of buying other Black Shadows.

Jerry

What's wrong with the new triggers?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No. And I'm not overly fond of Tikkas, regardless of their obvious virtues.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I have yet to own a T3x, but overall think Tikkas are the best rifles available for under $1,000. They are super accurate out of the box, reliable and feed much slicker than most 700s and for that matter most other rifles. I personally believe overall quality is better than Remingtons.

I don't like the small ejection port and hard, uncomfortable pad of the T3, but the T3x appears better in those regards.

+1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No way I would take a Remington over Tikka or for that matter, Savage, Ruger, Howa, Mossberg, and most other brands. Remington is now bargain basement quality at mid level prices. So sad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both. Like both. I'd keep my 700 Mtn over my Tikka T3s. I like 700s.

My T3s shoot:

[Linked Image]

But so does my Mtn Rifle:

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.