Print Thread
Hop To
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
It's a 2wd supercab short bed. It's got 235k miles on it. He had the injectors and glow plugs replaced a couple of months ago (by the dealer and has the receipts). It drives good, front end/steering seems to be tight with no issues. It shifts smooth (up and down).

Is there anything in particular that I should be cautious of or specifically check? I'm not a Ford guy and have no experience with the 7.3 in terms of issues or things to look for.

Thanks!

Last edited by RyanTX; 11/01/16.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It's by far the best diesel ford made and a good truck if the front end is tight. Whatever you do avoid the 6.0 in stock form.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ford made 'the truck' with an IH motor.

It's a good truck. I'd want to know oil usage, compression, or both at 235K.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Consider taking it to a reputable diesel shop for an inspection, it will be worth a $100 or 2.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here's a website for Ford Super Duty trucks, 1999 and up. There's a section for the 7.3 engine on the forum.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Consider taking it to a reputable diesel shop for an inspection, it will be worth a $100 or 2.

This is good advice right here. The rest of the truck is pretty self explanatory (it's rusty or it's not, etc) but the engine and tranny can be real money pits, so it's worth it.

Regards,

Tom
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the tips guys. It belonged to a good friend and we wound up buying it last night for my son.

It needs a new bed (jack-knifed a trailer). But, the father of my son's best friend owns a paint and body shop. He's going to let the boys do all of the prep work and then he'll shoot the paint for a very, very reasonable price.

He sold me the truck for $2k, so I felt like I couldn't pass it up. He spent more than that this past spring having the injectors and glow plugs replaced. It even has two new batteries. I wasn't looking to get him a diesel, but for the price and since everything else is in good shape I decided to go ahead. Plus, he has all of the maintenance records and receipts. He even kept the tranny fluid changed regularly.

I am thinking that for the money I've got in it, even if something creeps up, we'll be able to take care of it and still be good as far as $$ into it. I found several locally that are same year, configuration etc and usually have more miles and they're all in the $7,500-$9k range.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Does that have the 5 speed electronic trans? They're supposed to be a much better trans then the E4OD.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Its got the automatic, shows to be the 4R100

Last edited by RyanTX; 11/02/16.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK. It's a 4 speed OD, IIRC, (lockout button on end of gear shift).
that's the upgrade from the E4OD which was the weak point in the drive train. Should be GTG expecially with the fluid changes.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yep, it's got the lockout button on the end of the shifter.

Took it by the friends body shop at lunch. My boys and his son will do all of the prep-work and in exchange for them doing other work around his shop (he bought a new building next door and will be moving a lot of stuff around), he is going to go ahead and paint the entire truck in exchange for their work.

So, I just have to pay for a pull-off bed and my son will work for the rest and should have a good looking truck at the end. I want him to have a sense of "ownership" in that he is invested in that truck and will also learn how to do the work himself.

Thanks again for the info guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if it's got new injectors, you're golden. It's no Cummins, but it'll run for a long time. Injectors are a known weakness around 250K. Mine are shot, but at 330K, I'm not putting much money into it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good call on not passing it up for that price!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
It's no Cummins, but it'll run for a long time.

Ah, but my truck is a Cummins.... grin This is my boy's truck. He gets the 2nd rate diesel, ha.

Thanks again fellas.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.