Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I know that Deer season has ended for some, others are hunting currently and some haven't started yet. Here in Ark our gun deer seasons are just getting started.

This weekend is our Youth Gun Deer Season. Adults can/should accompany the youth etc. but are NOT supposed to kill deer. Well I guess you know how that goes with some people.

This AM I saw 5 deer in my pasture, 2 different bucks not together and 3 does who were also not together. We've had a front go thru and drop our temp to 50* this AM and it got the deer moving.

Next Sat. our regular Modern Gun Deer season begins for REAL. I'm kicking off my season with a Rem M Six in 30-06 (6 OH 6) I call it.

I've already had opportunity to kill 1 or 2 does with it this yr. We had a M G Private Property Doe ONLY season. I passed them up.

I'm EXPECTING to kill a few with 1 or more pumps this year. Whether it's a hunt with a Pump you'd like to tell about or post kills with a Pump Rifle in 2016...here's the place.

Good Luck to All

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check my AZ unit 8 thread. Killed with my Model 6 30-06. Great gun that has killed my first elk at 407 yrds, my first deer that is my avatar at 466 yrds and now this years buck on the run at 40-45 yrds.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Our season is 2 weeks away. A 7600 270 will be in my hands that morning.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Next week I'll be in Maine with a first year 760 in .300 Savage. It has a VXIII 1.5-5 in Weaver flip over mount (a previous owner drilled and tapped the receiver). I swapped out the old style butt stock for a newer monte carlo for a better cheek weld with the scope. And if I really get motivated I might take my Savage 170 in 30-30.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I'm going to carry mine for doe. I'll also be carrying it in two weeks for bear season here in Pa.

IC B2

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
This AM I went to my Uncle's to do a little walk around and check things out.
I'ts LOOKING GOOD!
[Linked Image]

This scrape was smoking hot. It had just been made earlier.
I took this pic to show the relativity of its size. It's not huge but not small.
[Linked Image]

It is in close proximity where I saw deer, a coyote, and killed a buck in 2012 with my 6.5X55. There were tracks, trails, and hooks in areas where I generally stalk.

Gun Season starts Saturday. I'm ready!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well well, Today is the opener of our Modern Gun deer season.

Once AGAIN hunting a new/new to me rifle was lucky. It's been many yrs since I've hunted a 30-06 but I started our MG season with a Rem Model Six in 30-06. I call it 6-OH-6.
It worked again.

[Linked Image]

This 8 pt came slipping thru the brush into an opening at 9:35 AM. I bleated and he made his last step. He was an 8 and had broken his right side G 3...I had to check him as a 7 pt, oh well. I am shooting Hornady 165 BTSP and hit his withers. He dropped.

[Linked Image]

The butt stock is not red as it appears. Something about the light angle makes it look lighter than it is.
[Linked Image]

He weighed @ 170 lbs whole. In the field I couldn't see an exit wound and wondered but when I 'skunt' him the bullet angled down a little and exited high in the ribs. Nonetheless he only wilted.

[Linked Image]

I guess I need to keep getting new/new to me guns. This makes 11 as best I can talley that have killed a deer on the FIRST day to hunt one.

BTW - MagMarc, my pumps kill buck deer. <grin>

Good luck to all.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/12/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congrats Jerry! cool

Our rifle season opens next Saturday, going out to check the zero on a couple of rifles this afternoon grin

I only have 1 buck tag left, going to be picky for awhile. I'll be happy to break the new to me 7600 270 in on a big doe or two wink

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I have 1 pic of the SAME rifle that gives you a better idea of the color of the butt stock.

The butt stock is not red as it appears. Something about the light angle makes it look lighter than it is.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is the same rifle/butt stock and you can see HOW MUCH the lighting conditions affects a photo. It almost looks like a different rifle but it's not.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice Jerry, might have to take the ol' 760 out bear hunting next week.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Either one of these is up on the rotation this year.
Bob

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The rifle season here opens on Wednesday 11/16. I'll be toting my 7600 in 35 Whelen with a Leupold 2.5 X 8 mounted on her.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx guys. Those are some nice looking rifles.
I thot the majority of deer seasons had already begun. I know that in some areas the seasons are already over.

I really don't spend a lot of time on my Uncle's property. There is deer sign everywhere and buck sign scattered around. This week our WX is warm in the afternoon so in the mornings I'll be observing the deer movement and population. I have 5 weeks so I'll take my time and look for better bucks.

My Uncle wants the population reduced so I will be taking some does.

Good Luck to everybody.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
This AM I went to my Uncle's to do a little walk around and check things out.
I'ts LOOKING GOOD!
[Linked Image]

This scrape was smoking hot. It had just been made earlier.
Jerry

This AM, Mon, 14th, I stalked back by this scrape and it has been hit once that I could tell, maybe twice. There were vertical drag marks on the right side that are not in this pic. IMO they looked more like anter drag marks than hoof marks.

WE had a full moon all night, it was still up at 5:30 AM, and clear skies. I expected more deer movement during mid day hours BUT I saw an aggregate of 8 deer. There were does, yearlings, and at least 2 fawns. The last deer I saw was a fawn by itself by 9:00 AM feeding. It fed in & out of a thicket and I just stayed put to avoid spooking it. Here it was less than 25 yds and it kept going in/out of the brush. Easy Peazy Fryer but too small.

[Linked Image]

I heard few sporadic shots given the first Monday of our M G season. ? ? ? I don't know how many people were hunting but normally a lot of guys take this week off work.

We NEED rain badly. Hopefully we'll get clouds & rain and make things better.

Good Luck
Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/14/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lost my dad this year, never remember him with anything other than his 760 for deer. Can't let it miss this season so it's going out with me for PA rifle season. Funny story was I dropped it off at my gunsmith to have it crowned and he texted me and told me I had won the prize for dirtiest gun he ever worked on. Dad kept the rust off, but wasn't real big on cleaning it I guess.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
M M -

Sorry about your loss.

I too have my Dads M Six, 270 and killed deer w/it last yr.
I hope you get UR limit w/his 760.

Lol about clean gun.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
LOL...I remember a buddy stopping buy after hunting season and was watching me clean a gun. He seemed very interested in what I was doing and I asked have you cleaned your's yet, he said no, Ive never cleaned it. He's older than me and I never seen him hunt with anything besides that 7600. Its been to AK on salt water based hunts, etc. I couldnt believe it. I offered to clean it for him, dont think I ever got all the crud out!

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You folks look like you are having a great time.Our deer seasons are behind us, well my tags are filled.. We are bird hunting now, but the whitetail season is still on here..

I used to leave Wy. about this time or a bit before and go to the camp in Pa. But it has sold, decided if I get things arranged for another hunt there, I am getting a Remington slide action.. Not sure what caliber.. Made up two 20" barreled 700's for that country.. But never had a slide action big game rifle.. Pumps are my favorite shotgun.. We will be east in April.. I will have to look over the selection of pumps while there... You guys have some great hunts and keep the photos coming.

Molon Labe
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
.... decided if I get things arranged for another hunt there, I am getting a Remington slide action.. Not sure what caliber...
But never had a slide action big game rifle.. Pumps are my favorite shotgun..
We will be east in April.. I will have to look over the selection of pumps while there... You guys have some great hunts and keep the photos coming.

Don't let it be said that we 'enabled' a hunter to get another gun/rifle. wink

Yes, it was my use of the Rem 870 that got me to using a 760 then Model Sixes. (that doesn't look right,- 6s looks better) grin

WCH - the following copy came from THIS forum; Deer Hunting and pumps (thread- P 97), you will find the numbers Remington produced & % of different cartridges.
--------
BUMP -- in reference to "Hunting Rifles" discussion of no.s and % of cartridges produced in the Rem M Six.

I had filed this post for reference and easy access.

Originally Posted By hillbillybear

While thumbing through the October 2005 issue of the American Rifleman I found a full length article on the Remington 760/7600 rifles. On page 83 there was a breakdown of the production numbers on the 760 and Model 6.

According to this article the total production of the 760 1,034,438 units were produced. Of this figure 62,726 were in the carbine configuration. The production numbers of the various calibers were as follows:

.30/06 63%
.270 16%
.308 8%
.300 Savage 4%
.35 Rem. 3%
.243 3%
6MM 1%

All the following calibers comprised less than one percent of the production total:

.257 Roberts
.244 Rem.

The article lists the Model 6 figures as follows:

36,236 total units produced. Production breakdown:

.30/06 50%
.270 29%
.243 10%
.308 8%
6MM 3%

Hopefully, this will be of some interest and help.

-------- there is more info than copied here** that is if you're interested. Based on your statement that you've decided to get a slide action-- I thot I'd help. grin

Thanks for your complement and I know that some of us have seen and enjoyed your pics of hunts/game as well.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Jwall, thanks for the info..I was a bit surprised the .35 had so few produced, but I guess they are common in the 14 & 141.. My cousin has a .223, I tried to buy it but his daughter got it.. She doesn't hunt or shoot as far as I know..

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 8 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 709 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.