Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

[/b]
[b]

Jerry, I missed this. I must have been in Michigan about then.

Nice buck, cool rifle! BUT, the cheek piece is on the wrong side!

Thnx W N

The cheek piece is on the left side...

That's RIGHT for those who are in their LEFT brain.

My bucks don't compare to y'all's Kansas bucks...

but mine are WILD not PEN fed. whistle
grin grin

Kidding you. Of course.

Jerry

Dang it. Scott was supposed to 'photoshop' that section of high fence and the corn pile out of the picture! wink

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
That buck is awesome Paul!!
Congrats again!

Thanks, Tom.

Buck of a life-time for me...but I ain't retiring just yet! laugh

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Buck of a life-time for me...but I ain't retiring just yet! laugh

Remember who said, "NEVER give up!" ? Jim V.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

This is the longest spell of deer being nocturnal that I've seen in many years.

HALELUJA ! HALELUJA ! I say twice because I have 2 reasons to be happy.

FINALLY I saw deer in the daylight (barely). At 6:50 AM I was going out beside the barn to watch for deer. I saw 4 dark shapes---it was cloudy and dim. I grabbed my binos and sure nuff DEER !

I grabbed my 6-oh-6 and picked out THE buck I'd been looking for since Oct.
[Linked Image]

The white is his belly. I took the orange barrel there to help me LRF and identify the spot. He was 135 yds - withers - DRT.

No.2, I'd seen this buck once or twice and I called him Freak Buck. I've also seen a NICE 8 pt but I WANTED Freak first if I had a choice.

[Linked Image]

I knew he was a small 3 pt right antler and 2 spikes straight up on the left. I've mentioned him in another thread but not this one. I've been hoping to REMOVE him from the herd. DONE.

He was with 3 other deer. A small forky and 2 Does (?)-no antlers anyway. The fork horn looked like 1 of the 2 I saw last week. Can't be positive.

Actually there is a 3rd point (1" long) behind the smaller one but it's not visible in the pic.

When I got to him, I saw a hole in the lower part of his neck. I knew I didn't shoot him in the neck. Upon investigation-- that was where he was GORED by another buck. I dug around and opened it up a lot. There were NO fragments or bullet and NO exit. Another buck had gored him.
[Linked Image]

Freak weighed 145 lbs whole. Our deer don't get that heavy in 2 1/2 yrs. I'm convinced he was 3 1/2 yr old. Also it may show in the pics but the amount of MASS is more than our 2 1/2 YOs.
The left tall spike was 9" around the curve PLUS the 2 short ones. This was NO injury. Those spikes grew out of the pedicle in somewhat natural looking way.

AGAIN the M Six - 30-06 scored this year.

[Linked Image]

A little humor (anti doke- grin). I was right behind the house and my wife was in the bathroom, very close. After I shot I went back in the house and asked her if she was awake. "I am NOW !" lol

Continued due to pic limitation...

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good to see you at least got out of the house! laugh

Good choot'n, Jerry! It appears your '6 oh 6' was more than up to the job. Congrats!

I buy Kano by the 4oz can. Man, you must clean your guns pretty often! grin crazy

IC B2

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
As I said early on in this thread, it's been many years since I've hunted any 06. They still work.

[Linked Image]

I'll only post 1 more pic to give a better idea of Freak's left side spikes. IF you look close in this pic and 1 of the others you can see that 3rd short spike. It AIN'T important to me but being 1" long he qualifies as a 6 pt.

[Linked Image]

Also if you look at his face and long nose he shows more age. Our MG deer season ends Sunday BUT we have 3 days after Christmas - 26,27,28.

I'm going to hunt some more but finally I feel some reward for all the long hours, walking, studying, scratching my head, and WONDERING. Remember this was EARLY and the deer were headed E and there is a LOT of uninhabited land. I might not have EVER seen this deer again this season.

WHEEOO--Relief.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good deal! And good shootin'....
The 30 Whelen in a self-shucker is still my go-to.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congrats Jerry!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This is the longest spell of deer being nocturnal that I've seen in many years.

HALELUJA ! HALELUJA ! I say twice because I have 2 reasons to be happy.

FINALLY I saw deer in the daylight (barely). At 6:50 AM I was going out beside the barn to watch for deer. I saw 4 dark shapes---it was cloudy and dim. I grabbed my binos and sure nuff DEER !

I grabbed my 6-oh-6 and picked out THE buck I'd been looking for since Oct.
[Linked Image]

The white is his belly. I took the orange barrel there to help me LRF and identify the spot. He was 135 yds - withers - DRT.

No.2, I'd seen this buck once or twice and I called him Freak Buck. I've also seen a NICE 8 pt but I WANTED Freak first if I had a choice.

[Linked Image]

I knew he was a small 3 pt right antler and 2 spikes straight up on the left. I've mentioned him in another thread but not this one. I've been hoping to REMOVE him from the herd. DONE.

He was with 3 other deer. A small forky and 2 Does (?)-no antlers anyway. The fork horn looked like 1 of the 2 I saw last week. Can't be positive.

Actually there is a 3rd point (1" long) behind the smaller one but it's not visible in the pic.

When I got to him, I saw a hole in the lower part of his neck. I knew I didn't shoot him in the neck. Upon investigation-- that was where he was GORED by another buck. I dug around and opened it up a lot. There were NO fragments or bullet and NO exit. Another buck had gored him.
[Linked Image]

Freak weighed 145 lbs whole. Our deer don't get that heavy in 2 1/2 yrs. I'm convinced he was 3 1/2 yr old. Also it may show in the pics but the amount of MASS is more than our 2 1/2 YOs.
The left tall spike was 9" around the curve PLUS the 2 short ones. This was NO injury. Those spikes grew out of the pedicle in somewhat natural looking way.

AGAIN the M Six - 30-06 scored this year.

[Linked Image]

A little humor (anti doke- grin). I was right behind the house and my wife was in the bathroom, very close. After I shot I went back in the house and asked her if she was awake. "I am NOW !" lol

Continued due to pic limitation...

Jerry
Good deer to take out and a great looking rifle.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Good choot'n, Jerry! It appears your '6 oh 6' was more than up to the job. Congrats!

laugh laugh Maybe I'll put a feeder in the den ? grin

This Fall alone I've seen 7 different bucks in my pasture. 2-3 illegal,
a VERY nice 8, FREAK, can't remember exactly but I have kept count.

Really Paul I don't clean my rifles excessively---I just don't handle them with GREASY hands. whistle

Thnx
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane

Maybe Whelen knew summin, huh ? whistle

I've killed many more with the Six 270 W, even tho it's a coyote rifle. laugh

Thnx
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx Marc & Troutnut

Appreciate your compliments & yeah I really WANTED to remove Freak

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

I buy Kano by the 4oz can. Man, you must clean your guns pretty often! grin crazy

OKAY Paul, I'm up to speed now. blush

A little background. My dad was a backhoe/dozer operator for many years. He built several trailers, the first low-boy I ever saw in the early 60s; stock trailers; a few to haul backhoes and others.

I left home in 67 and wasn't back close till 86. Dad passed in 98. I have NO idea how long Dad had that barrel or IF he bought it full or NOT>>don't know.

I 'goggled' KANO cleaner to see what it was. That barrel of KANO was virtually empty. As I said I had never read the label. I emptied and CLEANED it out thinking I'd put diesel fuel in it. Well it leaked too much. I put a LOT of JB Weld on it and still had pin holes. So...

[Linked Image]

Now I can properly appreciate your jest. grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

This Fall alone I've seen 7 different bucks in my pasture. 2-3 illegal,
a VERY nice 8, FREAK, can't remember exactly but I have kept count.

Well this AM I saw ANOTHER different buck I haven't seen before. This makes 8>> He was chasing another deer hard. I hollered to make him stop so I could judge him at all.

His antlers were ALSO mismatched similar to yesterday's. Today's buck had a wide <read palmated> antler on his 'right' side and the left was almost not visible.

?? Maybe?? related to yesterdays. I can't say how similar but mismatched noticeably.

[Linked Image]

I didn't shoot because I wasn't sure he was legal. I could NOT make out a 3 pt on his right side. The angle was 1/4ing away from me. Maybe he'll give me a better look.

At least he's on the hit list if legal.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We should call you "Willie the wonky deer killer" laugh

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
That's MIGHTY fine w/me.

REALLY I wanted to kill Freak before shooting the really nice 8 I've seen and a neighbor has told me about.

Whenever possible I KILL OUT <read cull> undesirable genetics. It IS a priority with me.

The buck this AM came running from the E and then turned N to come into my pasture. I had NOT seen that buck anytime this year. On my East there are 100s of acres for deer to live and hide. I only have a few neighbors who hunt OR eat deer.

I'll do their part.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, we both learned something. I didn't know the Kano brand was that old. I thought it was some new-fangled stuff. smile I mix it half/half with Shooter's Choice.

Good plan, getting rid of the freaks when possible. I had my eye on one this year prior to season then he disappeared. After the buck tags were filled he showed up one morning at 25yds while hunting coyotes. Never fails!

Good luck on filling your other tag. I didn't know you guys had a 3pt rule. How's that been working out?

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Good luck on filling your other tag. I didn't know you guys had a 3pt rule. How's that been working out?

I also have a few days of Mzl season in Dec BUT they are nearly useless in MY pasture. Most of my shots will be farther than I'm comfortable shooting a Mzl.

REGARDLESS of type of gun season the 3 pt rule is the same. The shortest point MUST be at least 1".

The 3 Pt Rule has had 2 particular results.

1. At first, it ONLY allowed young bucks to live ONE more year. That allowed them to be 3 points or more, visible.
Don't get me started on 'fawn killers' and yearlings. crazy

Too many don't or can't understand that every 'button' buck they kill IS an ANTLERED buck they will never see nor get to shoot. Makes NO sense to me. crazy

2. I'm used to the 3 pt rule by now, it's been several years. But I can tell you sometimes it's VERY difficult to see a 3rd point even on large INFERIOR bucks. frown
i.e.
[Linked Image]

This 6 (SIX) point was in a cut over pushing a doe. He is 17 1/2" inside spread and weighed 175-178 lbs. It took me a while-- glad they stayed in the c/o long enuff--to see A 3rd point.

Suffice it to say...I pass on smaller bucks UNLESS I can see 3 on 1 side. Sometimes it SUX. frown

Per tags - I have tagS available for use. I can kill 4 Does if I wanted. This yr. I don't need the meat. smile

Thanks Paul, I appreciate your input.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane

Thanks S

A good 06 is very usable & dependable. IMO it's overkill on the average WT. It certainly is more than needed BUT I'd rather have too much as too little.

I feel the 06 comes into its own, on game larger than average WT. Our own 458 W says it's dependable Brown Bear medicine. Even there I'd rather have too much as too little.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Jwall, great buck... I love freak heads... Well done, and with an 06, who would have thought that.. Must try mine next year.. Planned to take it this fall, but didn't get a chance to shoot it before the trip..

Molon Labe
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, akpls, 13 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.