-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
....Davide Pedersoli that is, of that same Italian clan that has been bringing us all those cool repros practically forever....

[Linked Image]

....stopped by the Alamo today.

A gracious and pleasant man, to us he was practically a rock star grin

In conversation with him turns out he was the go-to guy providing most of the firearms from everything from Last of the Mohicans through The Patriot to the recent Free State of Jones and The Revenant.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great!!!

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What a dopey looking guy, you should have had him wear sunglasses like you were.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's cool. What did he think of your flintlocks?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's cool BW, did you let him know he spells his name wrong? wink

Last edited by 12344mag; 11/05/16.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Slick. Tough to beat one of Italian heritage. wink

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

In conversation with him turns out he was the go-to guy providing most of the firearms from everything from Last of the Mohicans...

Birdwatcher

Maybe for background extras. But the rifles for the main characters for hand built by a well-known gunsmith whose Name Escapes me at the moment. You can find it on the American muzzleloaders forum

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Monte Mandorino?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's very cool Mike!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

That's cool. What did he think of your flintlocks?

With a guy like him you can talk shop. Fer example, you can point out the Jim Chambers round-faced Colonial Virginia lock on your fowler and he's familiar with the product and the time period its appropriate for. It seemed like what he thought of a given gun is pretty much what anybody familiar with 'em thinks. IOW the guy knows his way around muzzleloaders.

We talked about how in The Patriot the extras playing the Colonial militia were turning their faces away from their muskets while firing on account of the director added magnesium filings to the pan powder to give a brighter flash (I think it was our own Kaywoodie I learned that from).

He related a similar story from Russia. They were making a movie about the Battle of Borodino and ordered a bunch of muskets, but those same muskets had to have steel cross-pieces set inside the barrel just down from the muzzle to prevent them from being loaded with ball. Mr Pedersoli provided them but they were having problems because these cross-pieces quickly burned out.

This was a puzzle, and when he inspected them Mr Pedersoli found a strange yellow residue all over the inside of the barrel.

Turns out they were using a mix of mostly magnesium filings for powder eek

Birdwatcher

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 11/05/16.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
But the rifles for the main characters for hand built by a well-known gunsmith whose Name Escapes me at the moment. You can find it on the American muzzleloaders forum

Ya, true of The Revenant too, in fact in the Revenant IIRC they took delivery of two identical custom period longrifles for DeCaprio's character but then sent 'em back for some reason to have the barrels shortened.

Likewise they ordered a few identical custom knives for DeCaprio's character, with the exception that the one for the grizzly fight had to have a longer handle so you could see it in DeCaprio's hand (now I dont recall if he actually stabbed the bear in the final version).

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HitnRun
What a dopey looking guy, you should have had him wear sunglasses like you were.

grin

No worries, there was homeless guys in 1836 too, I play one of those.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I believe Hershal House built several of the principles rifles.

Most of the colonial militia were seasoned Reenactors. With all their own clothes, gear, and weapons. We didn't turn our heads head when firing. I dont remember anything about magnesium powder in the cartridges they passed out. Just plain old black. But,,,, most all the Brit and American regular troops were just people off the street in need of a job. With the exception of the Brit cav. They were all Reenactors with thief own horses. The director told the folks off the street who had never see. A Brown Bess before let alone an muzzleloader to turn their heads to prevent the possible injury. Yeah we all laughed. It was a lawyer thing.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I will add that just like in the last Alamo flick they set had experienced Reenactors training all these people off the street. They would have been in their appropriate uniform Brit or American. Now there were Reenactors in The rank and file troops too. But they're generally wasn't many. I suspecy o. The set of the patriot there were probably only 150 to 200 dedicated Reenactors on set. Everybody else was off the street so to speak.

You would be broken up in "platoons"'and they trained in period correct drill, marching, loading etc. Then you kinda had to pass an inspection for safety, authenticity, etc. I remember several of the coordinators coming up to our group and stating we were the folks they werent worried about simply by looking at our weapons and clothing. Btw I carried my Northstar West Light Infantry Fusil in that production. A 2/3 scale Bess. A lot lighter gun!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/05/16.

Founder

WS

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
At least he does not to be Sicilian, whom are not Italians.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Most of the colonial militia were seasoned Reenactors. With all their own clothes, gear, and weapons. We didn't turn our heads head when firing

I must have got it from a reenactor forum.

Maybe its and urban legend, I googled on it and found this....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187393/goofs

the reason the soldiers here were turning away was because the director didn't think black powder made enough smoke, and decided to use a mix of black powder and magnesium (evident by a blue color to the smoke). This created more of a flash in the pan and made turning away rather a shrewd move.

I didn't notice anything different about the smoke. Googling the battle scenes on Youtube, maybe some guys were turning heads on account of I can't make out flashguards on the side of those pans.

(For those out of the loop, a flashguard is just that, a sheet of brass or steel that attaches to the edge of the pan using the screw that the frizzen pivots on. It protects the guy next to you from the lateral stream of hot gases shooting out of the vent. They didn't exist back then but they are pretty much required at every modern reenactment. )

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hell Birdy. It could very well be true. It was a big production. When shooting a close up they could have used it as they would simply just prime the pan for effect. Need lot o' sparks! laugh When we were out on the battlefield it would not have mattered. Just lots of smoke anyway. No close up stuff.

I also remember the day all the Reenactors came close to walking off the set. In the middle of the big battle finale. Another story for another time

Founder

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.