-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, at 37 years old I'm basically half dead and post mid-life crisis. I have zero waterfowl hunting experience and the last bird I fired at was a pheasant 16 years ago, I got him. I've gotten back into the hunting scene over the last couple of years. I plan on doing a guided duck/goose hunt in northern California after my yearly pig hunt in early January.
I currently own a Mossberg 590 that I occasionally blast some clay pigeons with but having an eight shell tube I didn't buy it for mallards. It's for Chinese invasion and L.A. riots, I refer to it as my urban hunting weapon. LOL!
I'm looking to purchase a semi-auto 12 gauge in late December. I'm a roadie, not that Showtime series bullshit, the real deal. I'll be on tour with a band on the eastern half of the U.S. until the end of the year. I usually have Monday and Tuesdays off so the plan is to rent a car, purchase the gun, some ammo, a cleaning kit and gun case; then spend some time at a local clay pigeon range before cleaning the gun and shipping it to an FFL in Redondo Beach, CA. I fly home January 1st and have work on the 8th. That basically gives me January-

1st to unpack/repack and pick up the gun.
2nd a couple hours at the range then a 10 hour drive north.
3rd pig hunt
4th bird hunt
5th bird hunt
6th drive 10 hours home and unpack, clean and restock gear.
7th butcher and package meat.
8th that thing that pays for these adventures.

I'll have some money to throw at this. I was originally planning on a gun in the $1000-$1200 range but I'm pretty hard on everything in my life so I'm willing to spend a little more for durability and reliability.

So, after all that, what gun should I buy ladies and gentlemen?

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Stick1330
Well, at 37 years old I'm basically half dead and post mid-life crisis. I have zero waterfowl hunting experience and the last bird I fired at was a pheasant 16 years ago, I got him. I've gotten back into the hunting scene over the last couple of years. I plan on doing a guided duck/goose hunt in northern California after my yearly pig hunt in early January.
I currently own a Mossberg 590 that I occasionally blast some clay pigeons with but having an eight shell tube I didn't buy it for mallards. It's for Chinese invasion and L.A. riots, I refer to it as my urban hunting weapon. LOL!
I'm looking to purchase a semi-auto 12 gauge in late December. I'm a roadie, not that Showtime series bullshit, the real deal. I'll be on tour with a band on the eastern half of the U.S. until the end of the year. I usually have Monday and Tuesdays off so the plan is to rent a car, purchase the gun, some ammo, a cleaning kit and gun case; then spend some time at a local clay pigeon range before cleaning the gun and shipping it to an FFL in Redondo Beach, CA. I fly home January 1st and have work on the 8th. That basically gives me January-

1st to unpack/repack and pick up the gun.
2nd a couple hours at the range then a 10 hour drive north.
3rd pig hunt
4th bird hunt
5th bird hunt
6th drive 10 hours home and unpack, clean and restock gear.
7th butcher and package meat.
8th that thing that pays for these adventures.

I'll have some money to throw at this. I was originally planning on a gun in the $1000-$1200 range but I'm pretty hard on everything in my life so I'm willing to spend a little more for durability and reliability.

So, after all that, what gun should I buy ladies and gentlemen?

Ladies and Gentlemen both prefer pumps. Old Model 12 in good shape should serve you well. wink

Last edited by battue; 11/06/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
benelli sbe2, 26 inch bbl.

factory chokes will work for waterfowl

get a pure rob Roberts .655 for turkey

and shoot 3.5 inch #6 longbeards

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Originally Posted by gitem_12
benelli sbe2, 26 inch bbl.

factory chokes will work for waterfowl

get a pure rob Roberts .655 for turkey

and shoot 3.5 inch #5 longbeards

Fixed it for ya.😆

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any good 12 gauge, 3" semi-auto that feels good shouldered should do the trick. There are good shotguns by Benelli, Beretta, Franchi, Browning, Winchester and others to pick from. I have been quite happy with an old Browning Auto-5 Magnum Twelve but I also like my Benelli M-2 - gotten good service from both. Recently inherited a Browning Gold Hunter that my Dad is going to use on an upcoming eastern shore goose hunt - I shot some sporting clays and pheasants at a tower shoot - it is going to perform well too.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Benelli monterfeltros can be had for 899 at Bass Pro. Hard to beat in a 26 inch barrel. 3 inch long beards are hard to beat for turkey. And 3 inch will kill any duck flying. 870 wingmaster, 26 barrel and screw in chokes is also a solid choice.

Last edited by eamyrick; 11/07/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Benelli Montefeltro
Benelli M2
Benelli SB2

All in 12 gauge.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For me, I can't seem to find a gun I am happy with for both Waterfowl and Turkey...so I have one for each. For me, the two uses are so diametrically different, one that is intended for both will be good for neither.

For waterfowl, I chose a Beretta A300. While I wish a 26" barrel was an option, the 28" seems to work fine.

For turkey, an 870 Special Purpose with a 21"VR barrel, screw in tubes, and a scope mount with a Burris FF2 gets it done for me.

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Centurion75
Benelli Montefeltro
Benelli M2
Benelli SB2

All in 12 gauge.

X2!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Personally I'd shoot a Benelli and a few different gas guns and decide from there. Recoil difference is significant and so is handling.

Benelli makes a great gun but they ain't the only one. I like beretta a400's myself.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by liliysdad
For me, I can't seem to find a gun I am happy with for both Waterfowl and Turkey...so I have one for each. For me, the two uses are so diametrically different, one that is intended for both will be good for neither.

For waterfowl, I chose a Beretta A300. While I wish a 26" barrel was an option, the 28" seems to work fine.

For turkey, an 870 Special Purpose with a 21"VR barrel, screw in tubes, and a scope mount with a Burris FF2 gets it done for me.

Not so. my Browning Gold ten thumps the be jeez us out of waterfowl and turkeys

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beretta A300 would be a solid choice.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd get 2 guns where it me. I doubt that I will ever hump a 12 gauge for turkey again. A nice, lightweight 20 gauge for turkey.

I will use a 12 for ducks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I abhor long barrels on a shotgun, especially one that I will be toting in the briars and brambles. In a blind, or on a dove stool, they are workable. For turkey, the shorter the better.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I point long barrels better as long as they are light and lean. Makes little difference if in the briars or out in the open. Problem is, you rarely find them made that way unless you are willing to dip deep into the wallet.

laissez les bons temps rouler

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.