Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dick_Wright
[Linked Image]

A close-up of the grip area. I now have the lines about the way I want them... lots if sanding coming before I can put finish on it.

What finish are you going with?

DF

GB1

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I will fill the pores with Behlens. Then I finish with McWilliams Refinishing Oil. Final coats are Gun Savr which I hand rub on. This stuff is a lot like the Arrow used to be... use very lttle finish and lots of rubbing.

The McWilliams makes the grain pop out better than anything I ever used. I went thru the process on a CZ 17 HMR that is well documented on AR in the custom guns forum.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
A thing of beauty and a joy forever. Nicely done.

To my eyes, a classic single shot cries out for a Unertl/Fecker/Litschert/Targetspot scope. Evidently a lot of other guys think so too, judging from the high prices they fetch these days.

John Keats was right... cool

Exquisite workmanship, classic lines.

Don't get much better than that...

DF

I'm really flattered. Thanks.

The kicker is that this is my next summer's match rifle. I will be shooting it in 100 yd. benchrest matches that are held locally. It shot extremely well when I test fired it in the pattern stocks this summer... about 3/8" at 100 yds. on my range. I have shot competitive benchrest for forty years and my first guns were .222's. I have a pretty good idea how to make them shoot.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Can't wait to see the final product.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to use the spar varnish treatment many here on the Fire seem to like, not on that project, for sure.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

To my eyes, a classic single shot cries out for a Unertl/Fecker/Litschert/Targetspot scope. Evidently a lot of other guys think so too, judging from the high prices they fetch these days.

DF

The kicker is that this is my next summer's match rifle. I will be shooting it in 100 yd. benchrest matches that are held locally. It shot extremely well when I test fired it in the pattern stocks this summer... about 3/8" at 100 yds. on my range. I have shot competitive benchrest for forty years and my first guns were .222's. I have a pretty good idea how to make them shoot.

How did you handle the forearm/hanger bedding?

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/05/16.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

I took this when I was test firing it on the 50/100 yd. range that is just outside my office door.

I used take-off Ruger stocks and modified them till they were the shape I wanted. Lots of Bondo. I sent the patterns and my good wood to Charlie Grace in CO. He has a duplicating machine and did the pre-carving for me.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D

DF

It's inletted good and tight. I'm just using the factory hanger, etc. I have the hole covered with an escutcheon. The fore end is bedded a lot tighter than it was in the factory stock. I'm crossing my fingers that it shoots as it did before.

How did you handle the forearm/hanger bedding?

DF

Last edited by Dick_Wright; 12/05/16.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

This is the wood, exactly as I got it back from Charlie plus the Unertl. I had him put the ebony fore end tip on for me. I have no way to do the widow's peak.

Charlie bedded the pattern stocks to the action. That makes inletting quite easy... the machine is very accurate.

Charlie bought Dale Goens duplicating machine a few years back and got all Dale's patterns. He's reasonable and I highly recommend his work. I made my own patterns... I wanted my lines, not someone else's. A lot of wood has come off since I took this pic.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Would you share Charlie's contact info...

DF

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Sure. Send me a PM and I will give you his email and phone number. Charlie is a past president of the ACGG.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

I soaked the stocks with mineral spirits to remove all prints and body oils. From now on, it will be handled with gloves only till it has the finish on it. This is the best look I've had at the grain and color.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

The fore end with the mineral spirits.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

I won't touch this for a day to let the mineral spirits get really dry. Whilst it's in the vise I shot this as a study in lines. If I'm going to change anything, now is the time.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice!

Are you gonna checker it?

DF

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Charlie is going to checker it and rust blue it for me after the stock is finished.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Now, that's gonna be NICE...

What pattern are you thinking about?

DF

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
A very simple point pattern. The wood is fancy enough that the gun will need no more embellishment. When Charlie was here I told him I didn't even care if he wrapped the fore end pattern all the way around.

I would really like to get it engraved but old age and finances will make that impossible.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It'll look great with rust blue, no engraving.

I agree with a simple pattern.

That's gonna be super, simple elegance, not over done.

Look forward to finished photos.

DF

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

I wet the stocks down yesterday to raise the grain. I've spent all morning dry sanding to remove the whiskers, most of the time working on the cheekpiece. I've taken lots of breaks... at this stage a slip can be a major disaster. Doing this right requires just the right amount of coffee (shaking is bad), no hangover, a steady hand and a clear conscience. I'm not quite done yet.

I took this w/o flash. This is how I work on it... the shadow lines tell you how you are doing.

When this is done I will use Behlen's waterbase to fill the pores. Then it's more sanding with 220 grit, a final sanding with 400 and then, finally, I will put finish on it.

S
S
Agree with Dirt Farmer simple elegance is timeless. The craftsmanship, wood and finish on this gun will be amazing. Nothing worse than gaudy..... wisdom knows when to stop.

SB

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.