Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am thinking about a week long bear hunt over bait in Canada. I understand some provinces have a two bear limit. About what would it cost for a two-bear hunt in BC (or some other Canadian province) I live in Denver, so I could actually fly to either end of Canada.

Also I would like to bring my own rifle and ammo. Is that a hassle in Canada?

Thanks.

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 10/28/16.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vancouver Island has a good bear population - actually bears are like rats here now. The bag limit is generally two bears. There is no baiting in BC, but it does not matter - there are too many bears here. I've been out on days where I could have shot 3 or 4 bears within a few hours - no bait needed.

Here is a link to our hunting regulations:
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...ing-hunting/hunting/regulations-synopsis

For an awesome trip I would recommend Angus from Wild Coast Outfitters:
http://wildcoastoutfitters.ca/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Baiting isn't allowed in B.C. but it isn't needed anyway there are tons of bears. An outfitter would have to try really hard NOT to find you a bear. On the coast the bears will rub quicker so you don't want to go to late, even being a short way inland will improve that quite a bit. Talk to different outfitters and find one you connect with, he shouldn't have any trouble finding a bear for you. May is prime time for bear any earlier and they might not be out yet from the dens.

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BH63;
Good morning to you sir, I'm hoping the week was a good one for you and this finds you well.

If you've not done so already, I'd recommend giving the top thread in this section a good read, as "Planning a hunt in Canada" has proven to be quite helpful for a lot of visiting hunters here over the years.

As noted already, there's no baiting allowed in BC, so hunts are spot and stalk - mostly the stalk will be driving logging cut blocks in a pickup and doing lots and lots of glassing.

There's bigger bears on Vancouver Island as a general rule, but hunts there cost a bit more I believe.

Also as previously mentioned, there's no trick to find and shoot a bear most springs in most of the province - we have no shortage.

If you do come and you're in the northern part of the province, ask about wolves at that time of year too as that might be another thing you could hunt.

Please do your research and call the references provided by the outfitter in question - absolutely call hunters who killed animals and those who did not.

All outfitters and guides are not created equally.....

Bring a good camera as there's almost nowhere in BC that isn't breathtakingly gorgeous. Yes I'm biased, but then again that's why we moved here and continued to stay here despite some economic hurdles over the year.

If I can answer specific questions I'll do my best to point you in the direction of an answer. Give me a shout here or via PM.

Good luck on your hunt and all the best to you this fall.

Dwayne

PS;
Small Okanagan blackie;
[Linked Image]

Hope Priceton highway bear - maybe 5'2" ish;
[Linked Image]

Now we're gettin' somewhere - notice the double chin, small ears and lack of ground clearance. wink
[Linked Image]

Refrigerator that sprouted legs - good black bear in anyone's books I'd say. Sorry that's as close as I could get without spoiling his breakfast on kinnikinnick. I was hoping for bull elk that morning when we bumped into each other.
[Linked Image]

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last two springs have found me with these two bears in the Skeena valley.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gerry.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gerrygoat;
Thanks for sharing those two dandies with us sir! cool

Most hunters would be happy to notch a tag on either one of them I'd have to think.

I keep threatening to find a good sausage maker down here and take up spring bear hunting again some year, but somehow haven't had the time for the last few springs.

Again thanks for sharing the nice black bear photos with us - congratulations on them both and all the best to you folks this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Dwayne. I hope you make it out this coming spring, your local deer fawns and moose calves will thank you smile Makes some great sausage too not to mention the ground meat, stew and roasts for the slow cooker. Spring is a wonderful time to be out in the bush as well.

Gerry.
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for all the great responses. I will probably attend the International Sportsmans Exposition in Denver, this January and talk to some of the outfitters there.

I will certainly look into the information provided above (especially the hunting regulations which I have saved to a thumbdrive).

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your responses.

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 11/02/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let us know what happens if you don't mind and good luck finding someone you are comfortable with.

I will say a truck or 4 wheeler based hunt somewhat inland will be much cheaper than a boat based hunt on the coast and will be a great experience.

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I hunted bears with this outfitter. I had a great hunt. Nice camp and good people. I saw lots of game.

Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
^
Thanks Hammerdown and gerrygoat. I may have to look at hunts in Eastern Canada, as I really am having problems walking (assuming bait hunting is still allowed in some of the other provinces).

BH63

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I believe baiting is legal, and common, in Alberta, and they have some big bears!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Found this on youtube, it is only about 2 hours from where I live. This is what you can expect on a truck hunt in a good area in May. We don't use varmint calls because of grizzlies being around but doing it the way they did it should be fine. His first bear was hit too far back but that can happen to us all. It looks like a good hunt for someone with mobility issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x8gSTwNZKY

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out Copper River Outfitters in Smithers BC I had a great Moose Hunt with them. They do Bear hunts as well. Great people beautiful country.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
^
Thanks I will. Cool video BTW.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I can get you info on the outfitter I moose hunt with up in the NW corner of Saskatchewan. He does spring bear hunts, huge bear in the area and high success rate, and he runs a first rate camp. His name is Teddy Clark, Big Bear Contractor's out of LaLoche. I was just up there for 3 weeks in September/October moose hunting. Saw some moose, weather was too warm, but lots of bear. I should have had a bear tag! Take care, Dean.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lots of bear around Grande Prairie Alberta can see 5-6 a day driving , baiting is allowed,, when i get back there next week i can get you an outfitters name, he does wolf as well.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I lived in BC for about 7 years in the '90s and all my wife's immediate family lives there. You need to think about what you are looking for: Trophy? Nice bear? Great experience? The biggest bears in BC are shot on Vancouver island - lots of food (fish & berries) and mild weather means big heavy bears - 6'+ is virtually certain and 7ft. isn't uncommon. Outfitters are probably going to be the most $ there, too. Next, all coastal regions produce lots of big bears. My Brother-in-law has a 7'4" bear from Telegraph Creek, on the Stikine River (he was living there). Outfitters are going to be a little less (probably). Interior areas can be hot, but usually smaller bears (one year I hunted 7 days and saw 62 bears within 50 miles of Vernon). 6' is doable (took a 6'2" that year - cinnamon phase), but no guarantees; 7' is rare. Outfitters are usually quite a bit less in the interior. Of course, you can stumble on a giant bear anywhere. Friend killed a huge bear (over 600 lbs, on a scale) outside of Salmon Arm many years ago, but a 7 day hunt would take a lot of luck to do that.

P
P
Is there a reason you want to hunt over bait? There are other provinces that baiting is legal and in the dense Boreal Forests in Ontario that is pretty much the only way to hunt them. Outfitters here run anywhere from $1400 to $3000 for accommodations and a couple active bait stations. Probably o\would not be as exciting as hunting the mountains of BC but if you prefer hunting from a stand there might some good options for you here in Ontario, Quebec or Manitoba.

Last edited by Pearce; 12/16/16.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
tag

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 14 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.