Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nope.Never had,never will.At most,I maybe have carried quarters 50-60 yards to get them to the mules.

I did pack a Mountain goat off of a 14,000 ft peak once.

About 50 years ago I decided to sacrifice other things in life so I could live where I could have a few head of livestock and have been doing that way ever since

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Until this year, every elk I have killed I did so by myself. I often have horses with me, but often do not.

My 6x6 bull last year took me 2 days to get out. I actually prefer it that way.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I actually prefer it that way.

I always enjoy packing out an animal. It'll be a sad day when the realization hits that I'm no longer up to it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have packed out some of my own and several more for my Granddad, Dad and Uncle.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Almost every one I shoot comes out on my back, by myself.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 11/09/16.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
When I was younger, most of the elk I brought out myself.. Since I turned 65 about four years ago, I think I brought out one.. The others I had help.. Now, I doubt I move another by myself, I am about done with this game.. Too many birds to shoot, and whitetail does move easier..

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have only had to pack out one buy myself! I usually have my brother or one of the grandson's with me! Lots of work but worth everydrop of sweat!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have hauled them out myself several times over the years - wore me plumb out, but it felt GREAT. T'was a lot easier before I got old.

P.S. The first bull (in 1965 up on the Mogollon Rim) was the easiest by far - beginner's luck and was able to back my 1954 Chev station wagon right up to it. Good old days.

Last edited by CCCC; 11/10/16. Reason: afterthought

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by centershot
Of the last 8 or 10 bulls I have shot at least half been hauled out by myself. Most people I talk with think I'm nuts (they could be right) but it really is not that big of a deal if you know what your doing and have the proper equipment to do the job with you. Kind of made me curious how many others go elk hunting solo?

I'm 60 years old and packed out my cow by myself this year.

Of course, I intentionally shot the smallest of the three elk standing there.............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by k22hornet
I've done a few, but I really prefer to have help.

Same here.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've packed a bull solo. It got my full attention. I've also helped carry pieces and parts of a half dozen more- much more civilized! smile

Weather is a huge and crucial variable as far as the panic-factor in getting the meat out. It's been WARM generally speaking these last several years here in Oregon during rifle season. That adds a whole level of urgency.

I guess grizzlies add that for some of you guys.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This year's pack out...

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've done it twice and hope that I don't have to again. Gettin1 to old for that chit!

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I salute and envy you guys. Truly. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a cow in those panniers. Screw backpacking. grin Seriously, though, we all reach an age where backpacking isn't possible. I figure these guys added at least 5 years to my hunting career.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Taking notes Rock Chuck. Thinking those are for me soon.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 30338
Taking notes Rock Chuck. Thinking those are for me soon.
If you do, get hold of me first. I went through a number of them before I got 4 that are really good. There are lots of them out there with foot problems and I can save you some pain.
2 of the 4 in that 1st pic have been retired because of bad front feet.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Brad
I do it every year... if you're going to be dumb you'd better be tough.

Amen.......short memory helps also.

Kind of like child birth...

All but a handful of elk i've shot, i've had to pack out solo.

Every time I shoot one I swear I'm done with them, then a month later I'm making plans to go again.

It aint that bad..in hindsight.

I'm usually planning the next hunt on the way home.......

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe I'm crazy but I've only passed up one animal because of the pack out. I normally don't let having to pack an animal out stop me from shooting big game. I've packed quite a few elk and deer on my back and a few caribou. The moose my wife and I have have killed we've been able to get to with a four wheeler.

I did pass on one 60"+ bull moose many years ago while sheep hunting. We were 8 miles from the closest place to get a four wheeler to and it was 75-80 degrees. I was 20 yards from a bedded bull but knew in that heat and that distance the chance of getting the meat out without losing much of it was slim.

I was a bit surprised this year caribou hunting. We spotted a herd in a non motorized area about a mile or a little more off the road. There were a half dozen vehicles on the road watching them so I asked each one if they were going after them. All said no, they couldn't or weren't going to pack a caribou that far. Most were some to much younger than me. I'm 57. I took out after the caribou and ended up killing a nice dry cow about 3/4 of a mile off the road on relatively flat ground. I made it out in two heavy packs. There were close to a dozen people on the road watching me pack out my caribou and it was only as I was getting almost back to the truck with the second load that a dad and his two teen age sons headed into the same area after the herd.

I don't know if they got one but I was surprised out of all those vehicles no one except that one man and his boys were willing to put in a little work. As far as packing on one's back that area was pretty nice ground. I guess they were hoping the caribou would cross the road into the motorized area.

There's nothing easy about packing out a moose or an elk and honestly a caribou or deer ain't that much fun either. But there is a great sense of satisfaction when that last pack drops off your back and onto the tailgate.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Of the last 8 or 10 bulls I have shot at least half been hauled out by myself. Most people I talk with think I'm nuts (they could be right) but it really is not that big of a deal if you know what your doing and have the proper equipment to do the job with you. Kind of made me curious how many others go elk hunting solo?

I'm 60 years old and packed out my cow by myself this year.

Of course, I intentionally shot the smallest of the three elk standing there.............

Casey

This is where I screwed up. I ran into a heard of about a dozen bulls had my pick - shot the 6 point instead of one of the spikes - rookie mistake....lol

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

722 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.